Page 164 of 397 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214264 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 9907

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Anyone see The Peanut Butter Falcon? Looks interesting. A modern day twist on Huck Finn, or Tom Sawyer, I forget. Anyway it looks like something I'd want to see.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Oh yes, excellent film! One of Oldman's best ever performances, and that's really saying something considering his impressive and varied body of work. Plus, I'm basically in love with Lily James.
    Yes, quite a movie! I know it was Oldman but he conveyed the role so convincingly that, and the make up was amazing, it didn't distract. The most immediate other convincing role for me is Gary's performance of Sid Vicious in Sid & Nancy.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The most immediate other convincing role for me is Gary's performance of Sid Vicious in Sid & Nancy.
    Yep. He was also excellent as Beethoven in Immortal Beloved.

I also thought he was great in an episode or two of Friends.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yep. He was also excellent as Beethoven in Immortal Beloved.

I also thought he was great in an episode or two of Friends.
    And all of these roles so wildly different from each other. Throw in his performance as Drexel in True Romance while we're at it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Or as Syrius Black in the Potter series.

While shooting a wizard showdown in the third movie, Timothy Spall supposedly cracked up David Thewlis, Gary Oldman, and Alan Rickman by saying "I had this dream once of working with all of you. Of course, it was going to be doing Shakespeare but who am I to complain."
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Oldman first caught my eye in The Professional. A brilliant performance, imo, and still among my favorite movies.

Edit: I saw him before in JFK and Dracula, but The Professional is where he really jumped off the screen for me. I need to check out Sid & Nancy, I think.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 11-13-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Oldman first caught my eye in The Professional. A brilliant performance, imo, and still among my favorite movies.
    He is also very good in State Of Grace, one of the first movies I saw him doing a US accent and thought it was pretty good.

I also liked him in Chattahoochee.

On a side note, his directorial debut Nil By Mouth is an extraordinary movie, but very uncomfortable viewing. It's a very personal story for Oldman, relating to his father's alcohol problems and violent tendencies.

Kathy Burke won an oscar for her role but I thought Ray Winstone should have been recognised as well. Charlie Creed-Miles was pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The Professional is where he really jumped off the screen for me. I need to check out Sid & Nancy, I think.
    The problem with Sid & Nancy, IMO, is that while the performances are excellent (not just from Oldman), the film isn't great. I remember really liking the guy who played Malcom McLaren too... but well-done impersonations don't add up to a great movie if you don't have a great story. Some may not agree, and in fairness it's been years since I've seen it. I saw an interview with Tim Roth recently where he said he turned down the role of Johnny Rotten. Would have been interesting to see him with Oldman, in a complete 180 from the other film they made together around that time, Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead.

The Professional is excellent.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Prick UP Your Ears (1987) is one of Oldman's best.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Man, all of these Oldman film titles are bringing back vivid memories. Back in the early to mid 90s, the Bravo channel used to show a lot of art house cinema late at night, and I taped loads of films. I was going to the store every week or so for more blank VHS tapes! Among them were films like Nil By Mouth and Prick Up Your Ears (and the aforementioned Rosencrantz And Guildenstern). I had always been a movie fan, but it was films like these that really blew the doors open for me.

Another one (non-Oldman) from that period was a film called Once Were Warriors. Anyone remember that one?

And all of these roles so wildly different from each other. Throw in his performance as Drexel in True Romance while we're at it!
    I've only seen that movie once, when it was first released, and I remember little to nothing of it. In a rare role reversal, my ex liked it more than I did.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Saw Midway the day it opened in Vegas on a huge screen, it was a decent movie, not many big name stars, but great effects, and a story line that did not venture to far from facts...

The problem with Sid & Nancy, IMO, is that while the performances are excellent (not just from Oldman), the film isn't great. I remember really liking the guy who played Malcom McLaren too... but well-done impersonations don't add up to a great movie if you don't have a great story. Some may not agree, and in fairness it's been years since I've seen it. I saw an interview with Tim Roth recently where he said he turned down the role of Johnny Rotten. Would have been interesting to see him with Oldman, in a complete 180 from the other film they made together around that time, Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead.

I knew the guy who played Johnny Rotten, Andrew Schofield. It was not one of his finest moments. Schofield was more of a character actor really, but he was actually a hell of a fine guitar player. His brother Glen was a drummer, believe he moved to the US some years back.

Man, all of these Oldman film titles are bringing back vivid memories. Back in the early to mid 90s, the Bravo channel used to show a lot of art house cinema late at night, and I taped loads of films. I was going to the store every week or so for more blank VHS tapes! Among them were films like Nil By Mouth and Prick Up Your Ears (and the aforementioned Rosencrantz And Guildenstern). I had always been a movie fan, but it was films like these that really blew the doors open for me.

Another one (non-Oldman) from that period was a film called Once Were Warriors. Anyone remember that one?
    Once Were Warriors is a stone cold classic, I would unreservedly recommend it to anyone.

I saw an interview with Tim Roth recently where he said he turned down the role of Johnny Rotten.
    Interesting thing about Tim Roth for me is, the first time I actually remember seeing him was on a short lived TV show, about a decade ago, called Lie To Me, where he played this professor who had studied all these ways you could tell people were lying, and he was doing work for whichever police department. So someone would murdered, and he'd be called in to do interviews to find which of the suspects was lying.

But then, I'm watching, and I'm thinking I know this guy from someplace. I can't remember if I looked him up on IMDB (probably), or if I was going through some VHS tapes and actually ended up watching it again, but he was in Ray Davies mid 80's TV film, Return To Waterloo. Tim played one of the punks on the train. I think I then saw Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead.

And yes, I remember the Bravo Channel back before it turned into Real Housewives Central. Theys howed a lot of good movies and TV programs there. I remember there was a point in the early 90's where they were rerunning Max Headroom (only time I've ever seen it happen). I also remember they aired The South Bank Show, which a British made documentary series. I remember there being an episode on Eric Clapton, and another on Salvador Dali. But like all the great cable TV channels of the 80's and 90's, they've suffered an extreme amount of "channel drift". (shrug) What can ya do?

More shameless namedropping...another 'local lad made good' story, the town I lived in was Kirkby, near Liverpool in UK, and another famous son is Stephen Graham, who currently stars opposite De Niro, Pacino, Pesci et al in The Irishman.

He used to rent his videos from the same shop I did, back in the day.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

I really liked Sid & Nancy. An effective depiction of tragic love story. I was fascinated by the relationship between Sid & Nancy, showing how annoying and disturbed she was, and Sid a matching wreck. There were some fine cinematography depicting the doomed relationship with compelling imagery. For firm images, I thought Sid's rendition of My Way was covered very well. There is also a sense of the two lovers standing in an alley with decent music that was compelling. I haven't seen the movie in ages but I really enjoyed it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I knew the guy who played Johnny Rotten, Andrew Schofield. It was not one of his finest moments.
    He didn't stand out to me really, but I thought he did a decent enough impersonation. But again, recreations of well documented scenes and events don't add up to much, in my view.

Once Were Warriors is a stone cold classic, I would unreservedly recommend it to anyone.
    Agreed, a brilliant and powerful film.

The Irishman
    I cannot wait to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I really liked Sid & Nancy. An effective depiction of tragic love story. I was fascinated by the relationship between Sid & Nancy, showing how annoying and disturbed she was, and Sid a matching wreck. There were some fine cinematography depicting the doomed relationship with compelling imagery. For firm images, I thought Sid's rendition of My Way was covered very well. There is also a sense of the two lovers standing in an alley with decent music that was compelling. I haven't seen the movie in ages but I really enjoyed it.
    I should revisit it, it's been a long time. Sometimes you just need a span of time to pass with these things (music can be the same).

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Agreed and probably one of the best movies to ever come out of New Zealand.

Anybody ever seen the sequel to it, What Becomes of the Broken Hearted? I didn't know there was a sequel.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    Agreed and probably one of the best movies to ever come out of New Zealand.

Anybody ever seen the sequel to it, What Becomes of the Broken Hearted? I didn't know there was a sequel.
    The sequel is ok, but does not have the sheer power passion and power of the original.

More shameless namedropping...another 'local lad made good' story, the town I lived in was Kirkby, near Liverpool in UK, and another famous son is Stephen Graham, who currently stars opposite De Niro, Pacino, Pesci et al in The Irishman.

He used to rent his videos from the same shop I did, back in the day.
    We have tickets to see The Irishman a week from Saturday. Really looking forward to this one.

Saw the Korean film Parasite (2019) last night.

Technically, a great film, but I couldn't give a crap about any of the characters or the goofy humor.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Saw two good movies this weekend. Some spoilies on the second.

1. The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (2018). Sam Elliott stars as Calvin Barr, an old man who performed a singular service for the US Military in World War II. (Yes, the ahistoricity of this is adequately explained.) Aidan Turner plays younger Barr... Calvin is getting old and sad, and drinks a lot, and lives alone with his dog. But in one scene we see that he still has his mojo. The US and Canadian governments come to his house to request that he take down a Bigfoot that is spreading a terrible, species-hopping disease because he's the only person with (a) the skills to do it and (b) immunity to the disease. Both killings are portrayed in adequate detail, but they aren't really what the movie's about. It's about Calvin Barr coming to terms with his past and with love and death.

2. [I]Harriet/I] (2019). For the first third to half of this movie, there is no Harriet Tubman; the woman who will take that as her "free name" lives under the "slave name" of Araminta, or "Minty", Ross (Cynthia Erivo). As the film begins, Minty has recently been married to free black John Tubman (Zackary Momoh), but their access to each other is denied when John shows up with a lawyer's letter stating that Minty and her family have a legal right to their freedom because of a stipulation in the will of her owner, Edward Brodess's (Mike Marunde) father. Naturally Brodess just tears up the paper.
    You know much of the story: Minty escapes, takes her free name, and becomes the greatest "conductor" on the Underground Railroad, freeing at least 70 slaves without losing one. A lot of the stranger details are historically accurate: Tubman did rely on visions from or conversations with God to guide her; she did rescue most of her own family; she did follow the North Star to freedom; and she did lead a brigade of black soldiers on a raid during the Civil War (the first woman to lead such an expedition in US history).
    But I'm afraid they made up a great deal too; her route to Philadelphia, and how she contacted the Underground Railroad are unknown; she failed to bring John Tubman north not because of a new wife but because he was happy where he was; and the critically-important characters of Bigger Long and Walter seem to be completely invented.
    This is, of course, sheerest nitpickery on my part. To stick to the facts would make a movie full of gaps and without dramatic unity, perhaps suitable as a documentary but not as a biopic. It's a well-done, powerful, dramatic film that fills in the loose outline of the known with what the screenwriters decided (correctly) would work artistically.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Recently seen, the Johnny Cash documentary, The Gift on YouTube (for free). It's pretty good. Lots of old tape recordings of Johnny being interviewed and whatnot.

Anyone going to see the new Martin Scorsese film “The Irishman” this weekend? It will eventually be on Netflix but is having a limited theatrical release, and this is one I want to see in a theater. It is actually not playing anywhere near us, but is playing over in Ann Arbor, so we are going to use it as an excuse to visit some friends of ours that live there. So far, the film is getting a 96% rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes.