Page 162 of 397 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172212262 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Thanks Frankie!

Craig Zahler ( Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cell block 99, Dragged Across Concrete) and Ben Wheatley ( KIll List, Sightseers, A Field in England) are two other newish genre directors that should be checked out.
    Thanks back 'atcha Chris! Any particular films that you would say are a must-see from these cats? All the ones you listed? I'm always looking for some great new talented, unique, and artistic filmmakers - I'm done with the typical Hollywood bullshit. "A Field in England" looked very interesting from the trailer.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    You and me both man! This is one of those movies that I felt compelled to research a bit after it was over. Then I went back, watched it again and thought it was even better. Tremendous horror right here!
    The scene driving with the sister just sat with me for a while....no words to really describe that. And then the reaction-crying-screaming from Toni Collette is just masterful and totally convincing acting - holy shit she nailed it and then some. Perfection at her craft in that scene for sure. And to think that this was Aster's first film - unbelievable. I will follow these guys for the rest of their career now - like following a great prog band, no?

I think only you guys would get a kick out of this (and get it), but I've been pretty psyched to see The Lighthouse (hopefully seeing it Friday) so I've been cranking VDGG "A Plague of Lighthouse keepers" pretty much non-stop...as in OCD-on-speed non-stop. My wife and kids keep asking why I'm playing that tune so much and they think he is a horrible singer....actually a bunch of progheads think he is a lousy singer Great fuckin tune!

^^^ Stone-cold CLASSIC from a perfect album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The scene driving with the sister just sat with me for a while....no words to really describe that. And then the reaction-crying-screaming from Toni Collette is just masterful and totally convincing acting - holy shit she nailed it and then some. Perfection at her craft in that scene for sure. And to think that this was Aster's first film - unbelievable. I will follow these guys for the rest of their career now - like following a great prog band, no?
    Totally agree with your take on that scene. It was like getting gut punched. Also agree with Toni Collette’s performance in the next scene and the whole movie. That is award worthy. I’ve yet to see The Witch but plan on remedying that soon.

I think only you guys would get a kick out of this (and get it), but I've been pretty psyched to see The Lighthouse (hopefully seeing it Friday) so I've been cranking VDGG "A Plague of Lighthouse keepers" pretty much non-stop...as in OCD-on-speed non-stop. My wife and kids keep asking why I'm playing that tune so much and they think he is a horrible singer....actually a bunch of progheads think he is a lousy singer Great fuckin tune!
    I am bummed that no theaters in my town appear to be showing "Lighthouse". We had a very cool theater that used to be here called Alamo Draft House that always showed films like this (It is where I saw "The Witch"), but now we just have the usual corporate theaters that hardly ever show anything out of the mainstream.

Saw Joker tonight and have to give it a thumbs down. I'm not sure why this garnered so many positive reviews. I won't go into detail, as it's still in the theaters and some may still want to see it, but 3 or 4 demented clowns out of 10.

Just saw the trailer for A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood about Fred Rogers. I was wondering if they would show him sleeveless as his arms were covered in tattoos from his time in the armed services.

Huh, guess I'm the fool. That must be some rumor as he never served in the services. Wonder where I heard that and if I can kick that persons butt for lying to me.

It doesn't look to be a bad movie but I was snowed by the trailer for It so who knows. They sometimes really screw up trailers.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    They sometimes really screw up trailers.
    Sometimes?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Thanks back 'atcha Chris! Any particular films that you would say are a must-see from these cats? All the ones you listed? I'm always looking for some great new talented, unique, and artistic filmmakers - I'm done with the typical Hollywood bullshit. "A Field in England" looked very interesting from the trailer.
    You will love all the films I listed , although I didn't see "A Field In England" yet.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Thanks Frankie!

Craig Zahler ( Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cell block 99, Dragged Across Concrete) and Ben Wheatley ( KIll List, Sightseers, A Field in England) are two other newish genre directors that should be checked out.
    I agree about Craig Zahler. Loved Bone Tomahawk, which has some extremely gruesome moments. Liked Cell Block 99 as well, but not seen Dragged Across Concrete yet.

But Ben Wheatleys stuff leaves me cold. Hard to explain why. I find his stuff is always championed but I find his movies overrated.

Watched Ghoulies last night. Yes, the mid 80's horror flick, kinda dumb, but it kept me entertained. I'm sure I've seen this at least once before, but this time I recognized a lot of familiar faces. Of course, that's Michael Des Barres playing the evil sorcerer, and the party guests included Scott Thomson (who played Copeland in the Police Academy movies) and Mariska Hargitay, who was still about 15 years away from becoming famous on Law And Order: SVU.

I'm always fascinated by the concept of small animals or people being hazardous to normal sized people. Things like Ghoulies, Child's Play, Puppet Master, the last segment of Trilogy Of Terror, etc. I mean, how the frell can a child's doll, or something the size and weight thereof, possibly attack and kill a grown adult?!

The Shining tonight.....yikes. What a film - Kubrick is a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

the last segment of Trilogy Of Terror,
    I would have liked to see a sequel where that little ya-ya bastard chases someone who goes to the golf club bag, pulls out a driver, and gives that little fucker the ride of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I would have liked to see a sequel where that little ya-ya bastard chases someone who goes to the golf club bag, pulls out a driver, and gives that little fucker the ride of his life.
    That's what I'm saying, just punt the motherfreller! It's like when you watch a movie where a woman gets attacked by a man, I keep thinking, "KNEE HIM IN THE GROIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I agree about Craig Zahler. Loved Bone Tomahawk, which has some extremely gruesome moments. Liked Cell Block 99 as well, but not seen Dragged Across Concrete yet.

But Ben Wheatleys stuff leaves me cold. Hard to explain why. I find his stuff is always championed but I find his movies overrated.
    You didn't like Kill List or Sightseers?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Loved those!! Looking forward to A Field in England (on Prime right now).

Getting back to Midsomer. The trailer caught my attention, and now my curiosity has piqued due to the fact that it was briefly mentioned on Stern yesterday. Is the director's cut out yet?
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Getting back to Midsomer. The trailer caught my attention, and now my curiosity has piqued due to the fact that it was briefly mentioned on Stern yesterday. Is the director's cut out yet?
    Sadly no. I found out about the director's cut the same day I bought the blu-ray, and I ended up watching that instead! (I downloaded it.) I've since watched the standard release and I can't help but prefer the director's cut, even though it makes the film so long.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

So if you pony up for the bluray, you get the director's cut as a digital download?

So if you pony up for the bluray, you get the director's cut as a digital download?
    No, I had to source that out myself.

If they ever release it for sale, I'll be first in line though.

You didn't like Kill List or Sightseers?
    Didnt like Kill List, never saw Sightseers.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    No, I had to source that out myself.

If they ever release it for sale, I'll be first in line though.
    Just found that if you buy it on iTunes ($9.99), the Director's cut is included. I'll be catching this when I get home.

Just found that if you buy it on iTunes ($9.99), the Director's cut is included. I'll be catching this when I get home.
    Really? Excellent! I shall investigate!

Motel Hell 1980
    Campy old school comedy/horror flick. This was made for the drive in!

The Rutles

Haven't seen this in decades. The wit is still there, plus there are cameo appearances galore. Mick and Bianca Jagger, Paul Simon, George Harrison, most of the
    original Saturday Night Live crew.

Attack the Block

Love this film! Action, suspense,and humor. Only negative is that the accents are so thick that it is hard for an old white Mid Westerner to make everything out.
    Every bit as good as the first time I saw it years ago.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

The Rutles

Haven't seen this in decades. The wit is still there, plus there are cameo appearances galore. Mick and Bianca Jagger, Paul Simon, George Harrison, most of the
    original Saturday Night Live crew.
    The main thing i remember from this film is the rooftop concert bit where Stig literally gves the boot to one of the roadies, shoving him off the rooftop at the start of the song. That and Ouch.