Page 161 of 397 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211261 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    https://youtu.be/2aiYxwVuZ1o

Del Toro involved here. Looks creepy.
    I'm intrigued!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I watched The Curse Of La Llarona - meh. Pretty uninspired story, and the same old box of tricks as most other jump-scare horrors these days. You can see everything coming a mile away. Linda Cardellini is a good actress, but she's totally wasted in this role. I'd rank it as the worst of the seven films in the Conjuring universe.

I think I made a mistake kicking off horror season with Midsommar, which so far absolutely towers above every other one I've watched since.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I watched the recent Book Smart ,based on what I thought were funny trailers and good reviews. Plot; two nose to the grindstone over achiever high schoolers find that the assumed loosers in their graduating class are going to colleges as good as theirs. They try make up the fun they missed in high school in one frentic night. This was actually a good movie with genuine laughs and a fresh take on the genre. I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I don't know what in God possessed me but I watched (all of) Gremlins. As a young person I remember enjoying it. Well, this is easily the worst movie I've seen since in decades. There is absolutely nothing redeeming. Well, Pheobe Cates was cute.
    I watched this about a year ago. I heartily disagree -- there's plenty of redeeming qualities to this one. The creature effects and puppetry were excellent, the dark comedic tone was on point, the gruesome moments were still gross to me, and Gizmo was adorable.

I still love this movie.

Talked to Sis about this time of year and horror flicks so she brought me three. First I've watched was The Ring.

I didn't get it. I must have missed something. Beyond that I didn't get any chills, it was just a dark movie. Maybe I'm jaded and well, whatever, but I must have totally missed something in it that made it make sense. I was sober so that's not my excuse.

I picked up It on tv tonight but have yet to watch it. Still don't know why they remade this as Tim Curry was great as Pennywise and there was no reason, IMHO, to remake this but I'll watch it for the hell of it.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I picked up It on tv tonight but have yet to watch it. Still don't know why they remade this as Tim Curry was great as Pennywise and there was no reason, IMHO, to remake this but I'll watch it for the hell of it.
    The original mini series was not as faithful to the book. Beyond Tim Curry, who is of course great as Pennywise, there’s lots of reasons to remake this one.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I watched this about a year ago. I heartily disagree -- there's plenty of redeeming qualities to this one. The creature effects and puppetry were excellent, the dark comedic tone was on point, the gruesome moments were still gross to me, and Gizmo was adorable.

I still love this movie.
    I'm glad to hear someone liked this movie. I thought it was truly terrible.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I always make it a point to watch this around Christmas time. Classic! One of those dated flicks you can't appreciate unless you saw it when it came out.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron
    I think I made a mistake kicking off horror season with Midsommar, which so far absolutely towers above every other one I've watched since.
    So it's a horror movie? I thought, from a glance at the cover photo, that it was a war movie. Upon closer inspection, I see that it is not a soldier in a helmet, but a woman with a floral wreath on her head (there is probably a name for those things, but I don't know it). Silly me. I will watch it, then.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    So it's a horror movie? I thought, from a glance at the cover photo, that it was a war movie. Upon closer inspection, I see that it is not a soldier in a helmet, but a woman with a floral wreath on her head (there is probably a name for those things, but I don't know it). Silly me. I will watch it, then.
    Midsommar was to me an updated version of 1973s The Wicker Man starring Christopher Lee.

Went and saw Robert Eggers (The Witch) The Lighthouse over the weekend.

A two man act in black & white starring Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson.

I liked it - imagine Eraserhead meets The Shining in an 1890s New England lighthouse starring Mister Krabs and Captain Twilight.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Midsommar was to me an updated version of 1973s The Wicker Man starring Christopher Lee.
    Definitely.

And I want to see The Lighthouse too! Heard great things.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I've seen The Wicker Man. Midsommar is ordered. Look forward to The Lighthouse. Hadn't heard of it before now, but sounds great.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

This is always a danger when watching or reading or even listening to things you loved in the past, and especially when quite young: the Suck Fairy gets to things.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Bill Skarsgard's Pennywise blows Tim Curry's out of the water. It was remade, because the TV version was crap and one of King's best books deserved a better fate. I loved the remake, it did the book justice. I've yet to see chapter two, however.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I've seen The Wicker Man. Midsommar is ordered. Look forward to The Lighthouse. Hadn't heard of it before now, but sounds great.
    Ari Aster and Robert Eggers:

The Witch
    Hereditary
    Midsommar
    The Lighthouse

Haven't seen the last one yet (this Friday hopefully) but these are the best films in a long time for me, especially The Witch and Midsommar.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Speaking of Aster and Eggers (and Bergman):

https://a24films.com/notes/2019/07/d...-and-ari-aster
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Ari Aster and Robert Eggers:

The Witch
    Hereditary
    Midsommar
    The Lighthouse

Haven't seen the last one yet (this Friday hopefully) but these are the best films in a long time for me, especially The Witch and Midsommar.
    Out of those four I have only seen Hereditary, which completely blew my mind! I remember the first time I watched it, when it was over, all I could think is "what the fuck did I just watch" Highly recommended.

The other three will be seen soon.

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Speaking of Aster and Eggers (and Bergman):

https://a24films.com/notes/2019/07/d...-and-ari-aster
    Thanks Frankie!

Craig Zahler ( Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cell block 99, Dragged Across Concrete) and Ben Wheatley ( KIll List, Sightseers, A Field in England) are two other newish genre directors that should be checked out.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    Bill Skarsgard's Pennywise blows Tim Curry's out of the water. It was remade, because the TV version was crap and one of King's best books deserved a better fate. I loved the remake, it did the book justice. I've yet to see chapter two, however.
    The trailer really didn't do the movie justice. It looked like it was all Pennywise and it wasn't. It's been a long time since I watched the Tim Curry version and even longer since I read the book so the details are fuzzy and I don't remember that being too far off the story but you guys say it is so it must be.

Bill Skarsgard, huh? Didn't know that was him. He was also in Castle Rock on Hulu and that is back for a second season.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

The trailer really didn't do the movie justice. It looked like it was all Pennywise and it wasn't. It's been a long time since I watched the Tim Curry version and even longer since I read the book so the details are fuzzy and I don't remember that being too far off the story but you guys say it is so it must be.

Bill Skarsgard, huh? Didn't know that was him. He was also in Castle Rock on Hulu and that is back for a second season.
    Don't get me wrong, I thought Curry's Pennywise was the only saving grace from an otherwise pile of garbage. But Skarsgard took it to a whole new level. He brought out the evil/darkness of the clown that Curry never did. Right from the opening when he appears in the storm drain.

From "Fanboys" 2009.

I was just about to complain about Bill Skarsgård's name being too similar to Peter Sarsgaard's and Stellan Skarsgård's when I discovered Bill is Stellan's son, as is Alexander (Big Little Lies), Gustav (Westworld), and Valter (another actor). Wow.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm sorry you feel that way. The movie does require a sense of humor, because it's not a straight up horror movie.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    Out of those four I have only seen Hereditary, which completely blew my mind! I remember the first time I watched it, when it was over, all I could think is "what the fuck did I just watch" Highly recommended.
    You and me both man! This is one of those movies that I felt compelled to research a bit after it was over. Then I went back, watched it again and thought it was even better. Tremendous horror right here!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

^ Spot on, Klonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    You and me both man! This is one of those movies that I felt compelled to research a bit after it was over. Then I went back, watched it again and thought it was even better. Tremendous horror right here!
    I hear ya. I watched a 45 minute video about the interpretation of the movie. That one stayed with me for a while, still freaks me out.

From "Fanboys" 2009.