Page 160 of 399 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210260 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 9952

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Lake Mungo

Saw this on Prime and decided to take a chance. I'm glad I did! Documentary style, psychological horror film about a family dealing with the loss of their daughter. Man did this one give me some serious goosebumps! If you like movies that slowly get under your skin and stick around a while after it's done, definitely give this one a whirl. Incredibly convincing no name acting too. Well done!

9 out of 10 more goosebumps just popped up on my arm
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Echo In The Canyon - documentary about the L.A. sound of the '60s. Very good.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Watched the horror movie Midsommar (2019) last night.

Beautifully filmed , excellent acting and music but I found it overlong and and not very scary.

The Wicker Man from 1973 told a similar story only better.
    Midsommar might be in the top 3 fav films I've seen in 10 years or so. Masterpiece for me. LOVED it. Can't wait to buy the 181 minute directors cut on BR when that is available in the USA.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

Hereditary
    Satanism in a dysfunctional family. Really dark & scary.
    Ari Aster made both Hereditary and Midsommar....his only two films so far. Both fantastic but Midsommar is the real gem imo. The guy is hitting it out of the park as far as I'm concerned.

Another young filmmaker is Robert Eggers who made The Witch (2016) and The Lighthouse (out now). All of these films are A24 films.

https://a24films.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Joker. Just watched it. Brilliant.

Have to say watching it at BFI IMAX in London it was a very visceral, immersive experience. At times it reminded me of the look of Kubricks The Shining, also One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, and inevitably King Of Comedy.

Phoenix is utterly extraordinary. He has perfected the Joker laugh so well that it's a mix between a laugh and an anguished cry.

Also, the look of Gotham is extraordinary, dirty, grimy bleak etc. I think by the references I saw it is meant to be early 80s.

Some interesting nods to the legend and characters from the Batman universe too.

And the supposed controversy about violence is unfounded...there is violence, but only one scene could be described as very graphic.

And I certainly never got the impression that it either glorifies the Joker or asks us to sympathise or empathise with him. At best, you may understand why he does what he does, but you would not excuse or rationalise it.

Cant wait to see it again.
    Joker was another masterpiece for me - and I hate that superhero shit. What a film.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Watched Pan's Labyrinth tonight. I'd rate it 10/10. Perfect filmaking with the ideal blend of fantasy and reality.
    Yep - awesome film! So artistic. Del Toro is great.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Midsommar might be in the top 3 fav films I've seen in 10 years or so. Masterpiece for me. LOVED it. Can't wait to buy the 181 minute directors cut on BR when that is available in the USA.
    Completely agreed. I have the blu-ray, but I had to also watch the director's cut just to see what else is in it. Brilliant film! I'm likely to watch it again before horror season is over. I can't help but be drawn to filmmaking this exquisite. It's been a long time since I've been so captivated and unnerved by a film. This one is up there with Titus, Irreversible and Requiem For A Dream for me.

And I couldn't agree more with this review snippet from Tomris Laffly: "Some will be troubled by the excess in Midsommar. The unburdened surplus of lengthy customs does overshadow some of the film’s potentially ripe avenues of interest... but the invigorating reward here is the ultimate sovereignty you will find in Dani, a surrogate for any woman who ever excused an inconsiderate male, rationalized his unkind words or thoughtless non-apologies. (Florence) Pugh knows it in the film's liberating final shot. And you will know it too, so intensely that her freedom might just feel like therapy."
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Last night I watched the (nearly three-hour) director's cut of Midsommar. I loved it! Unique and compelling stuff, very unlike any other modern horror film. No clichés, no cheap jump scares, no cartoonish villains. Beautifully filmed and acted... I can't stop thinking about it, and I will definitely be watching it again before horror 'season' finishes!
    Agreed! Where did you see the Directors cut??!! This film just blew my mind - like hearing an amazing album that is unlike anything you've ever heard before. I hope Aster keeps making quality films for a long time! I thought that this was much better than Hereditary, but that was cool as well.

Agreed! Where did you see the Directors cut??!! This film just blew my mind - like hearing an amazing album that is unlike anything you've ever heard before. I hope Aster keeps making quality films for a long time! I thought that this was much better than Hereditary, but that was cool as well.
    I 'acquired' it. Shhh.... I had to see it. But I will happily buy it again if they make it available on blu-ray (I wish they had already done that).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Completely agreed. I have the blu-ray, but I had to also watch the director's cut just to see what else is in it. Brilliant film! I'm likely to watch it again before horror season is over. I can't help but be drawn to filmmaking this exquisite. It's been a long time since I've been so captivated and unnerved by a film. This one is up there with Titus, Irreversible and Requiem For A Dream for me.

[/I]
    How about the detail in the artwork in the film? Just mindblowing! Also the soundtrack is killer if you watch it with headphones on.

I 'acquired' it. Shhh.... I had to see it. But I will happily buy it again if they make it available on blu-ray (I wish they had already done that).
    I would pay a large sum for the authentic BR Director's Cut - I think it's coming to NA next year. Here is a cool interview with Aster and he discusses it here:

Another young filmmaker is Robert Eggers who made The Witch (2016) and The Lighthouse (out now). All of these films are A24 films.
    So Eggers has made another movie. Will definitely have to look for that when it's released on DVD or Netflix.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I would pay a large sum for the authentic BR Director's Cut - I think it's coming to NA next year. Here is a cool interview with Aster and he discusses it here:
    Excellent, thanks for that, I'll be watching it this evening!

I was most impressed by Florence Pugh, who was mesmerizing in that role IMO. I've already started seeking out other films she's been in: Lady MacBeth (not based on the Shakespeare story) is the first one I'll be checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    So Eggers has made another movie. Will definitely have to look for that when it's released on DVD or Netflix.

Yep - awesome film! So artistic. Del Toro is great.
    Uhhhhh, I wouldn't call del Toro great. Pan's Labyrinth is a great movie, yes, but 1 out of 8 is not a good ratio. I still need to finish Devil's Backbone and I haven't seen Shape of Water. But even if those two turn out to be great, that's still only 3 out of 10.

I also saw Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, the remake of the old '70s TV movie. Del Toro co-wrote the screenplay but didn't direct. It started out really strong and then just totally fell apart, maybe as early as the 2nd act. Man, was I disappointed.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

^ Those are the 3 films I've seen by him, and I think they are all varying degrees of great. He also co-wrote the screenplay to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. So maybe he's not great? Whatever.

^ Those are the 3 films I've seen by him, and I think they are all varying degrees of great. He also co-wrote the screenplay to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. So maybe he's not great? Whatever.
    I think Del Toro is great. He also did the first Pacific Rim, which I absolutely loved.

So the guy is versatile. He has a very vivid imagination too.

Excellent, thanks for that, I'll be watching it this evening!

I was most impressed by Florence Pugh, who was mesmerizing in that role IMO. I've already started seeking out other films she's been in: Lady MacBeth (not based on the Shakespeare story) is the first one I'll be checking out.
    She was amazing in that role.

Thanks for posting that trailer. I had never heard of it, but that film looks awesome!

Two-Lane Blacktop--interesting road picture from the 70s. The bonus extras with the director and screen writer are good too.

Toy Story 4 - felt that I could happily have by passed this one, these movies were great in their day but they are just treading water now. Didnt feel any emotion or anything, just kind of meh.

Men In Black - International - I quite liked the previous 3 movies, even though the third is usually trashed by most people. But this didnt do it for me at all. Chris Hemsworth was not too bad here, he has good comic timing. But Tessa Thompson was woeful as Agent M. I have no issue with her gender or ethnicity, she just didnt register at all for me as convincing. The usual mix of silly creatures wheeled on for no discernible reason. And they also shamelessly use many clips from the previous 3 movies.

Dolemite Is My Name - thoroughly enjoyed this, something of a return to form for Eddie Murphy. Based on the true story of Rudy Ray Moore, a self-styled comedian, cabaret artist and wannabe singer.

After numerous failed attempts to make it, he invents the character of Dolemite, a kind of comedy rapper who becomes very popular on the club circuit. Eventually he gets financing to make a blaxploitation movie with the character, with Wesley Snipes (D'Urville Martin) directing. It's very entertaining to watch the absurdity of the chaotic, low budget movie making attempts here. Murphy is very good in the title role, and he gets to show his serious side as well. Wesley Snipes also has his best role in years as the director of the movie.

Of course the movie being made is naturally terrible, but it catches on and becomes an underground hit, which even spurned a few sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Toy Story 4 - felt that I could happily have by passed this one, these movies were great in their day but they are just treading water now. Didnt feel any emotion or anything, just kind of meh.

Men In Black - International...
    I have no interest in TS4. I may watch MIB:I if it comes on Netflix, Prime, or HBO. But I'm not sure if I've even seen the trailer.

Okay, so now that I've seen the trailer, I will definitely watch it when it streams if only to watch Tessa Thompson in it. I've seen her in Annihilation and Westworld. I like her; I think she's hot.

I quite liked the previous 3 movies, even though the third is usually trashed by most people.
    Really? I thought the third was as good as the first; maybe better. I thought the second didn't live up to its potential.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Spiderman Far From Home last night, good fun villain, plenty of good action and got the tone just about right. Enjoyed it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Del Toro involved here. Looks creepy.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 10-27-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I don't know what in God possessed me but I watched (all of) Gremlins. As a young person I remember enjoying it. Well, this is easily the worst movie I've seen since in decades. There is absolutely nothing redeeming. Well, Pheobe Cates was cute.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)