Page 153 of 397 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203253 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,825 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    This looks promising,way promising.

Great book. Looks like a stellar cast.

Regarding Netflix cutting off the end credits, I was looking to see if there was a setting for this. There isn't. But online I came across numerous people who also hate it.

I'm bringing it up here and in the TV thread thinking that if enough people bring it to their attention, maybe Netflix will add an option similar to the setting for Auto-Play.

It seems to me a lot of companies (Netflix, Amazon, Sony, TiVo, Samsung, Apple, auto makers, etc) have these attitudes toward software/firmware/electronics/etc of "give the masses limited functionality" and "don't fix it if it ain't broke." The problem is they don't think through their decisions (or have limited foresight) during the design stage and end up inconveniencing and/or pissing a lot of people off.

I don't know. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part to think they care. It's possible they don't even know or haven't thought about it, but if no one makes them aware of the issue they'll never know.

I've already contacted them and I urge everyone else to contact them too.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watching movies on broadcast TV, one encounters something similar, as end movie credits are either cut off, cut out, or sped up to faster than anyone could possibly read. Not good for people like me, who see an actor or actress in a movie who looks familiar, but are unable to come up with their name. At first you're disappointed with your imperfect memory, then angry with the TV station for omitting the answers they could easily provide.

Yes, I know I could look up the movie on IMDB, but my TV and computer are separate things. By the time I get around to going online, I've forgotten the name of the movie, and the question.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Yes, I know I could look up the movie on IMDB, but my TV and computer are separate things. By the time I get around to going online, I've forgotten the name of the movie, and the question.
    You sound like me.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Watching movies on broadcast TV, one encounters something similar, as end movie credits are either cut off, cut out, or sped up to faster than anyone could possibly read. Not good for people like me, who see an actor or actress in a movie who looks familiar, but are unable to come up with their name. At first you're disappointed with your imperfect memory, then angry with the TV station for omitting the answers they could easily provide.
    They're doing it on the premium channels, too. What they typically do is downsize the credits, so that it's in like a quarter of the screen or whateve,r and run a promo, usually for something completely worthless, at the same time. What I find amusing is, if you turn on the closed captions, they don't reflect the hunk of dren promo, but rather whatever accompanied the credits. So, say if it's Flash Gordon, you'll see the lyrics to The Hero, rather than anything that's being said in the promo.

What I find really amusing is they do this even with their original productions. What's the point of putting credits on something if you're not going to let people see them?!

I guess they reckon nobody cares who was in the movie or TV show, or what any of the songs that were used in the production were.

But I've had issues with the way they do things on TV for decades, ever since I found out that they cut stuff out of reruns so they can shoehorn in more commercials. And don't get me started on network decay. I can't believe what USA, A&E, Bravo, MTV, Discovery, TBS, TNT, etc have devolved to.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    But I've had issues with the way they do things on TV for decades, ever since I found out that they cut stuff out of reruns so they can shoehorn in more commercials.
    The first time I heard of that was about 25 years ago during an interview with Alan Alda when he mentioned they were editing reruns of MASH.

I've also wondered if there's a correlation between how much ratings have dropped for broadcast & cable shows with the increase of commercial breaks over the years. It really makes you wonder when so many people are cutting the cord while at the same time subscriptions to streaming services is on the rise. With the exception of some sitcoms and shows on PBS, there are no shows on broadcast TV that I watch anymore (and I don't have cable, either). That's also partly due to shitty programming, tho.

Fortunately for me, ESPN (of all channels) is getting something right: they're re-broadcasting SKY network's coverage of Formula 1 races without a single commercial break! Now compare that to NBC's & formerly ABC's coverage of Indycar races and other sports with their excessive commercial breaks. At one point during the last Indy 500, NBC went to commercial after showing only about 3-4 minutes of the race. Seriously?

By the time I get around to going online, I've forgotten the name of the movie, and the question.
    Mom, is that you?

re: edited TV shows in reruns:

[QUOTE=Hal...;923261]The first time I heard of that was about 25 years ago during an interview with Alan Alda when he mentioned they were editing reruns of MASH.

I think I learned of it closer to 30 years ago. There was a blurb in TV Guide about...I dunno, it must have been Nick At Nite, at the time, was running The Andy Griffith Show, uncut, for the first time in 2 decades or whatever it had been. They mentioned that the practice of cutting material from shows when they went into syndication was commonplace, but in the case of this show, they lost Andy's "Moral of the story" monologue that ended each episode. So TV Guide was trumpeting and applauding the restoration of those segments.

I then noticed such edits on other shows. You might not suspect that I'd be a fan of Night Court (he said, facetiously), but that was the first show where I spotted it. You'd have a scene that would be apparently progressing like normal, and then there'd be a cut, and suddenly there would be more people in the room than there was a second ago. Like you'd suddenly go from three people in a room to five people, without anyone being seen walking in. And more recently, I've noticed on other sitcoms, things where an edit ends in the middle of laughter, following someone's funny line. And sometimes they'll cross fade between two scenes, with the second fading up in the middle of someone's line.

I've also noticed a lot of shows where they seem to have created new act breaks. I was watching Adam-12 and Emergency for awhile and you could tell that the acts weren't ending where they original did. They'd go to commercial in the middle of the scene, and not in a cliffhanger like fashion, just randomly, the action would fade out and go to commercial. And on the reruns on FETV now, what they'll do is run the opening credits, then the first two or three minutes of the first act, like a teaser or something, then go to a break, then they'd carry on. And you can tell that's not how the show originally aired.

And then there's things lik ehow they dumped all the original music that was used on WKRP In Cincinnati (including dumping the entire scene where Carlson wanders into the booth while Johnny is playing Pink Floyd's Dogs) and That 70's Show, but that's for licensing reasons. Apparently, the licensing fee jumps up when a show goes into syndication. So instead of Johnny abruptly cutting to Ted Nugent's Queen Of The Forest or Red turning on the ignition in his Corvette and hearing Temples Of Syrinx blasting out of the radio (indicating that Eric had borrowed the car when he wasn't supposed to), you hear stock library music. I dunno, somehow random generic boogie rock guitar riff isn't as effective, in my mind as Queen Of The Forest in announcing WKRP new format change.

And how are you supposed to know that the record Venus is playing is skipping if it's not a familiar tune like Toto's Hold The Line (Venus put the record on, turned the monitors off, goes on with the scene, and then like five minutes later, turns the monitors back up and you hear "Love isn't al-Love isn't al-Love isn't al-...")?

The funny thing with WKRP, though, is they ran the show with the original music in syndication for, I'm gonna say, at least 10 years, before they droped it. I know that for a fact, because that's why I know they used Hold The Line, Queen Of The Forest, Dogs, etc on the show, because I saw the episodes in syndication, and thought it was cool that the first rock song played on WKRP just happened to be my favorite Ted Nugent song (and one that I wouldn't have known back in 1978, or whenever it was the show originally aired).

I read that the reason it took Freaks And Geeks so long to get shown in reruns (on the Sundance Channel, I think it was) and to be released on DVD was because it took them like 4 years to get the licensing to all the original music worked out. IN that case, the various episodes including songs by the Grateful Dead (in one episode Lindsay dances to Box Of Rain), Cheap Trick (Sam going home, crying as the middle section of Gonna Raise Hell plays, after getting egged by the older kids on Halloween afternoon), and Rush (when Lindsay's father tells...oh I can't remember what the Peart disciple's name was, but Lindsay's father assures him that "Neil Peart couldn't drum his way out of a wet paper sack", after hearing the first half of Tom Sawyer). According to Wikipedia, the show's music ate up a significant percentage of the show's budget.

The music licensing thing is also why

I've also wondered if there's a correlation between how much ratings have dropped for broadcast & cable shows with the increase of commercial breaks over the years. It really makes you wonder when so many people are cutting the cord while at the same time subscriptions to streaming services is on the rise. With the exception of some sitcoms and shows on PBS, there are no shows on broadcast TV that I watch anymore (and I don't have cable, either). That's also partly due to shitty programming, tho.
    When did ratings start dropping? Because commercial breaks started getting longer back in the 80's and 90's. Again, I recall a piece in TV Guide back in the 90's where they mentioned how commercial breaks had been getting gradually longer since the early 80's.

But I don't watch much broadcast TV anymore, either. There's no "local channels" anymore, no late night movie shows, and most of the shows that are being rerun on broadcast TV, at least around here, are actually also being shown on cable too. I was, somewhat inexplicably, watching Big Bang Theory, but it ended it's run last spring. Beyond that, a lot of what i"m watching are reruns on the various cable TV channels, mostly the vintage stuff that I haven't seen in decades (or in the case of Star Trek: Enterprise, I never really watched in the first place).

Fortunately for me, ESPN (of all channels) is getting something right: they're re-broadcasting SKY network's coverage of Formula 1 races without a single commercial break! Now compare that to NBC's & formerly ABC's coverage of Indycar races and other sports with their excessive commercial breaks. At one point during the last Indy 500, NBC went to commercial after showing only about 3-4 minutes of the race. Seriously?
    So Formula 1 is on ESPN now, eh? I was watching it for awhile, when it was on NBC Sports Channel. That would explain why it hasn't popped up on the DVR schedule in the last couple years. I've always found NBC's Olympic coverage to lacking also. They'd start covering one event, then after 10 or 15 minutes, they'd cut away, go to a different event, then after an hour or so, come back to the first one, leaving out a whole lot of interim material. I think about the only thing they never did that with was curling, at least as far as the stuff I watch regularly goes.

But coming back to the closing credits thing:

Looking it up on IMDB (or some other service) won't give you the music that accompanied the credits. It's a crime that when you see Flash Gordon on TV now, you don't get the option of listening to The Hero. This might be another "head scratcher" for some, but that's actually one of my favorite Queen songs, and you can't deny the brilliance of Dr. May's guitar work on that one. And then there's the Stray Cats version of 16 Candles that plays over the credits of that one (hell, sometimes they don't even let If You Were Here by Thompson Twins, again, a favorite mine, to finish play out before they start futzing around), or the various movies Tangerine Dream's music appears in.

Another lesser known one is a picture called Over The Edge (Matt Dillon's debut, incidentally), which I remember seeing on TV a lot in the 80's and 90's, which has a song called Ooh Child (sung by someone named Valerie Carter) that plays over the closing credits, that would be a major bummer to not hear that song play out over the credits. Yeah, I own the damn soundtrack (I bought the cassette at a flea market back in the mid 80's, same time I got The Concerts For The People Of Kampuchea), but to me, the movie isn't complete unless I get to hear that song at the end of the movie, and not just the first couple stanzas that play before the credits begin.

BTW, anyone if a suitable replacement has appeared for the IMDB forum, since the new owners decided to 86 a few years ago. I still can't understand why they did that. Where the frell am I supposed to go and actually interact with other movie or TV show fans?! Yeah, I know Google, but the nice thing about IMDB was there was a community there already, you could spend forever checking the various sites Google brings up, trying to find something comparable, all because some frelling idiot CBS or whichever they didn't want geeks using their site to argue about Kirk vs Picard, which Doctor was the best, and whether or not there was a lesbian thing going on between Theresa Russell and Debra Winger in Black Widow!!!!

Bored yet?

Bored yet?
    Yep.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yep.
    (Monty Burns mode) Ex-cell-ent (Burns mode off) I wouldn't be able to go to bed if I didn't know I had at least accomplished that much, if nothing else.

I'd say you can sleep fairly soundly just about any night of the week.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Anyone catch Yesterday? = I arrived 45 minutes late, but still enjoyed it. Some people take stories like this far too seriously, and some are actually offended by the plot line. I am looking forward to seeing it again - this time all the way through.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Anyone catch Yesterday? = I arrived 45 minutes late, but still enjoyed it. Some people take stories like this far too seriously, and some are actually offended by the plot line. I am looking forward to seeing it again - this time all the way through.
    I saw it. Good light entertainment! It was great to hear wall to wall Beatles music. The story was charming with an interesting premise.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Re: Trimming things to fit in more commercials - I recall they did this in the '70s with Star Trek syndication reruns, sometimes significantly damaging the plotline. It was a huge (and heavily advertised) deal when a local-to-me station began showing the full episodes, in original broadcast order. I think that was around 1980.

Yes, I'm a geek.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

BTW, anyone if a suitable replacement has appeared for the IMDB forum, since the new owners decided to 86 a few years ago. I still can't understand why they did that. Where the frell am I supposed to go and actually interact with other movie or TV show fans?! Yeah, I know Google, but the nice thing about IMDB was there was a community there already, you could spend forever checking the various sites Google brings up, trying to find something comparable, all because some frelling idiot CBS or whichever they didn't want geeks using their site to argue about Kirk vs Picard, which Doctor was the best, and whether or not there was a lesbian thing going on between Theresa Russell and Debra Winger in Black Widow!!!!

Bored yet?
    Most of the old IMDB discussions are here : https://moviechat.org/

Its starting to take off.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Re: Trimming things to fit in more commercials - I recall they did this in the '70s with Star Trek syndication reruns, sometimes significantly damaging the plotline. It was a huge (and heavily advertised) deal when a local-to-me station began showing the full episodes, in original broadcast order. I think that was around 1980.

Yes, I'm a geek.
    Funny, I sort of touched on this issue in the B&W thread this morning. The biggest rerun offender to me was the original, Perry Mason. Scenes and characters cut out or dropped in without any explanation. DVD's do have a purpose.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Yes, I'm a geek.
    Then I'm a geek to.

It's tragic what has happened to WKRP but at least the "Dogs" clip is still found on YT

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Jane Fonda ... My favorite movies that she appears in are Barefoot in the Park
    I like that one ... and Sunday in New York
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I like that one ... and Sunday in New York
    Klute!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

When the H&I channel first started carrying "All Star Trek" (all five live action series, and for awhile, the animated series also), they trumpeted that the original series was being run uncut. That was about three or so years ago, I think, so that may have changed.

I remember watching Later With Bob Costas, I forget who the guest was, but this guy was talking about how back in the 60's or 70's, whichever network affiliate he was working at, it was his job to run the late night movies. He said they'd have to do whatever they could to make sure the movie ended at 4:00am or whatever because that was when the morning news began. So they'd trim material out, sometimes they'd keep the movie running during the commercial break, etc. He said something, "Major plot elements would be introduced, characters introduced or killed off, etc, during the breaks, and we never got one single complaint". Bob then looks to the camera and says, "Makes you wonder how much the audience is actually paying attention right now".
    It's tragic what has happened to WKRP but at least the "Dogs" clip is still found on YT
    Apparently, the show was released on DVD in the last few years, by Shout! Factory, and they were able to restore, according to Wikipedia, approximately 85% of the original music. Apparently, in some cases "it was impossible to get the rights". I wonder what constitutes "impossible" here. Probably money. Sadly, Dogs remains MIA.

There's actually a website that lists what got cleared for the DVD release and what didn't,

For instance, some of the Rolling STones songs that got used made it, but quite a few didn't. And I don't think it's an Allen Klein thing, because the split doesn't coincide with the split between teh stuff that Klein owns (everything up to and including Sticky Fingers, I believe) and the stuff the Stones actually own.

The Beatles' I'm Down was cut from one episode, but a Wings song survives.

It seem like most (but not all) of the stuff from Warner Brothers was 86ed on the DVD, I see Deep Purple, Ry Cooder, Van Halen, Randy Newman, Devo, Nicolette Larson, and others among the nixed titles.

Here's the song list, if you're curious to know what just did and didn't make it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...islZZy/pubhtml

For whatever it's worth, according to Wikipedia, many of the characters and situations on the show were based on experiences the show's creator had when working in AM radio, in the early 70's. This, apparently, includes the Turkeys Away episode. For anyone who cares to know, here's the true story of Turkeys Away:
    https://classictvhistory.wordpress.c...-oral-history/

That episode, and the one where Johnny Fever does the blood alcohol test for the state trooper, will stay with me forever. Oh, and every shot of Jan Smithers.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    That episode, and the one where Johnny Fever does the blood alcohol test for the state trooper, will stay with me forever. Oh, and every shot of Jan Smithers.
    Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    That episode, and the one where Johnny Fever does the blood alcohol test for the state trooper, will stay with me forever.
    Yeah, that was a fun show.