Page 151 of 394 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201251 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Burn After Reading, wasn't it?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Watched two completely different styles of movie over the last two days:

Suspiria - I was curious and a bit wary of a remake of the old Italian horror classic, but I couldn't help being drawn into this one with its strange style and sometimes over-the-top artistic license. I really enjoyed it, and would watch it again.

All Is True - Slow, quiet film about the later days of William Shakespeare's life when he quit writing following the Globe theatre's burning down. Beautifully filmed and acted with Kenneth Branagh, Judi Dench, Ian McKellan... very good, but far from a popcorn movie.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Finished season 2 of Netflix's Manhunter .

It's a dramatization on the origins of the FBI's behavioral science unit...,the guys that study serial killers.

Season 2 gets into the Atlanta child murders.

Dark stuff but very well done!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    M. Night Shyamalan sucks. I’ve watched two of his films by watching the beginning then speeding through the rest, because life is to short. Just did this with The Lady in the Water. What a piece of crap. Who wants to watch a puzzled Paul Giamatti for an hour and forty minutes?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great way to decide the quality of a movie, I did that with The Godfather and it sucked.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    M. Night Shyamalan sucks. I’ve watched two of his films by watching the beginning then speeding through the rest, because life is to short. Just did this with The Lady in the Water. What a piece of crap. Who wants to watch a puzzled Paul Giamatti for an hour and forty minutes?
    Sixth Sense is a modern day classic, incredible! Also, his last movie, Split, was excellent Unbreakabele was quite decent too. He does have some really weak stuff too but I'd hardly say he sucks.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Sixth Sense is a modern day classic, incredible! Also, his last movie, Split, was excellent Unbreakabele was quite decent too. He does have some really weak stuff too but I'd hardly say he sucks.
    Agree with you there. I enjoyed the Unbreakable trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Split wasn't his last movie. His last movie is the final of the Unbreakable Trilogy: Glass, which stars Willis, Jackson, and McAvoy, the stars of the previous two movies.

I have mixed feelings about Shamalamadingdong. I thought The Sixth Sense was excellent; Unbreakable was very good but not great. Just about everything after, up until Split, was typically mediocre. It didn't help that Robot Chicken began taking jabs at him ("what a twist!" ). I will say, tho, that I'm one of the few who liked The Happening. But I didn't think MNS regained his footing until Split, which is excellent. Glass was okay but ultimately disappointing.

Another movie he was involved in as a producer was Devil which was based on one of his stories. I liked it.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Regarding M. Night Shyamalan, I really liked The Visit and thought that Split was excellent. I think he's a very talented director and storyteller, but when it comes to writing dialog... not so much. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Haven't seen Glass yet though...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Suspiria - I was curious and a bit wary of a remake of the old Italian horror classic, but I couldn't help being drawn into this one with its strange style and sometimes over-the-top artistic license. I really enjoyed it, and would watch it again.
    Of course certain classics should NOT be touched.
    They bitched up remakes of The Haunting,The Prisoner and the Wickerman. So I was expecting much of the same here.

Okay, they didn't dare touch on Argento's brilliant colours , and they completely changed the main plot big time: in this remake , the main character Suzy Bannion is not a victim but the ACTUAL Mater Suspiriorum Lady of Sighs [One of the 3 witches/Mothers -Darkness,Tears,Sighs (Italy,New York and Berlin) - of the origional trilogy.]

But you gotta give credit for the dance scenes in the remake, of the stress on the art nouveau building, and the historical-darkening of the atmosphere by showing the REAL torn/troubled Germany during the days of the terrorist left-wing Baader Meinhof Group.

The remake is one hour longer than the orig '77 film, yet it manages to hold one's interest.
    Last edited by Deacon Beaker; 08-19-2019 at 10:20 PM.

Banned
    HOLE IN THE GROUND = poo

THE HOLE = poo

CASTLE ROCK SEASON 1 way way over-complicated Steven King amalgam of a few of his stories. When you finally - episode 9??? - figure out the mystery is due to (yet another lame) alternate universe cop-out, your questioning the time you put into watching this.

But, as is the case with most of these recent failures, you got to give credit to the locations person. The town shots are the best things here - mythical picturesque smalltown / oldtown America going to economic ruin.

STONEHURST ASYLUM
    Based on a Poe tale "Dr Tarr & Professor Feather" where inmates take over the asylum.(About a year ago I saw a film on the same theme and its bothering me trying to recall the film. Seems it was about a French asylum in the 19th century. Can anyone help? )

Micheal Caine & Ben Kingsley.

Lately the horror films have been atrocious, but I gotta give this one 4 stars.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    This isn't the recent detective series starring Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) is it???

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think he is very inconsistent, but some of his films are great. I agree with you about "Lady In The Water" though, one of his weakest films for sure.

I grudgingly like Shyamalan. The first two movies were excellent - indeed, Unbreakable seems to me the best superhero movie I've seen. After that, I've seen only Signs (which I liked) and The Happening (which I didn't). I want to see Split and Glass some time soon.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I grudgingly like Shyamalan. The first two movies were excellent - indeed, Unbreakable seems to me the best superhero movie I've seen. After that, I've seen only Signs (which I liked) and The Happening (which I didn't). I want to see Split and Glass some time soon.
    I liked Signs to. I kept expecting Joaquin Phoenix to yell, "AM I NOT MERCIFUL"?
    The older I get, the better I was.

I think Unbreakable gets more impressive the more I see it. Its wonderfully atmospheric. The most unlikely superhero movie ever. I was not that impressed with Glass. Split was decent. But as a standalone movie Unbreakable is incredible.

And very little happens. It's all in the dialogue, exchanges of looks between the characters, reactions etc.

And i think the opening scene with the baby is one of the most powerful I have ever seen, and really sets the tone for the rest of the movie.

Shyamalan is absolutely brilliant at making some of the most dramatic scenes also the quietest and most understated. Two that come to mind are when Bruce Willis is seeing how much he could bench in Unbreakable and when Adrien Brody stabs Joaquin Phoenix in The Village. Yes, the premise and the reveal in The Village was VERY weak, straining incredulity, but how he staged that scene (the stabbing), and how he revealed what was happening in progressive steps via his camera angles and cuts, is the work of a master.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

It's a dramatization on the origins of the FBI's behavioral science unit...,the guys that study serial killers.

Season 2 gets into the Atlanta child murders.

Dark stuff but very well done!
    It's Mindhunter and I'm just starting season 2, enjoyed season 1. The guy in the mug shot in episode 1 is from Columbus GA (where I live) from April 78, I've got to look him up to see if it was a real guy.

Edit: He was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Hance
    Last edited by Burley Wright; 08-20-2019 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Additional comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Shyamalan is absolutely brilliant at making some of the most dramatic scenes also the quietest and most understated. Two that come to mind are when Bruce Willis is seeing how much he could bench in Unbreakable and when Adrien Brody stabs Joaquin Phoenix in The Village. Yes, the premise and the reveal in The Village was VERY weak, straining incredulity, but how he staged that scene (the stabbing), and how he revealed what was happening in progressive steps via his camera angles and cuts, is the work of a master.
    A master director but as a screenwriter, he only gets lucky now and then. But the majority of his scripts break my suspend-belief mechanism beyond repair.
    Last edited by Jerjo; 08-20-2019 at 11:24 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I just finished the extended version of "The Hateful Eight" on Netflix. It is broken into 4 chapters and I did not watch it all in one sitting. To be honest it has been long enough since I saw the original, that I could not remember exactly what scenes were added. This is one of those films that I have enjoyed more with additional viewings. The first time I saw it in a theater I had mixed feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I just finished the extended version of "The Hateful Eight" on Netflix. It is broken into 4 chapters and I did not watch it all in one sitting. To be honest it has been long enough since I saw the original, that I could not remember exactly what scenes were added. This is one of those films that I have enjoyed more with additional viewings. The first time I saw it in a theater I had mixed feelings.
    I find with every Tarantino movie the first viewing always makes you a bit unsure of whether you liked it or not. They don't bowl you over on first watch. For me it takes 2 or 3 viewings and most of the time I end up really digging them. Death Proof would be the exception, and Hateful 8 was only just OK for me.

Jackie Brown is the best example for me. In almost hated it on first viewing, found it far too talky and hardly any of his trademark violence. But on subsequent viewings its now one of my faves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    A master director but as a screenwriter, he only gets lucky now and then. But the majority of his scripts break my suspend-belief mechanism beyond repair.
    As the late Gardner Dozois said, in a different context, "Disbelief is meant to be suspended, not hanged by the neck until dead."
    Last edited by Sturgeon's Lawyer; 08-22-2019 at 12:20 PM.

As the late Gardner Dozois said, in a different context, "Belief is meant to be suspended, not hanged by the neck until dead."
    I love that quote, even though I don't agree with it when it comes to certain movies (or certain entertainment in general).

Oops. That was meant to be "disbelief." I'll fix it.

Oops. That was meant to be "disbelief." I'll fix it.
    Oh oops! I didn't even catch that.