Page 150 of 394 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200250 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Top Secret! and Real Genius being cited as Val Kilmer's best pictures when the guy was in True Romance and Heat is the Head-scratcher Of The Day for Monday, August 12th, 2019.
    Kilmer was in True Romance? The Christian Slater one?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Good call. I'd nominate

Oh Brother Where Art Thou?
    The American
    From Dusk Til Dawn
    Hail Caesar!
    I really like Out Of Sight

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Kilmer was in True Romance? The Christian Slater one?
    Yep! "I like you, Clarence... always have, always will..."
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Another good choice.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post

Other stuff I can't stand: Big Lebowski, I'm looking at you. (I know, I know, I am going to hear it from everyone on that. Don't waste the keystrokes.)
    Never seen The Big Lebowski, but everyone keeps talking about how great it is.

I thought Raising Arizona was a great movie, though. Haven't seen it in ages, though. Wasn't Fargo also directed by the Coen Bros? I seem to recall that was pretty good too.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

I thought Raising Arizona was a great movie, though. Haven't seen it in ages, though. Wasn't Fargo also directed by the Coen Bros? I seem to recall that was pretty good too.
    Fargo is way better then "pretty good". Landmark film.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Fargo is a masterpiece. As is No Country For Old Men.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yeah! Throw the dice on which is better.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Fargo is a masterpiece.
    Absolutely. And incredibly, the spin-off TV series has been outstanding as well, which could have gone the other way.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yeah! Throw the dice on which is better.
    Nope , flip the coin. You stand to win ... everything.

Regarding Val Kilmer, check out Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

"Lebowski" is one of those films that people either seem to really love, or not care for much at all. Personally, I love it, but I know other Coen brothers fans who think it was a dud.

Top Secret! and Real Genius being cited as Val Kilmer's best pictures when the guy was in True Romance and Heat is the Head-scratcher Of The Day for Monday, August 12th, 2019.
    He was very good in Heat, but in True Romance it was barely a cameo. You never actually saw his face, he just turned up occasionally doing an Elvis impersonation and giving advice to Christian Slater.

I dont really think there is enough there to call it an actual performance.

Still love the movie though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Regarding Val Kilmer, check out Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Excellent film.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    He was very good in Heat, but in True Romance it was barely a cameo. You never actually saw his face, he just turned up occasionally doing an Elvis impersonation and giving advice to Christian Slater.

I dont really think there is enough there to call it an actual performance.

Still love the movie though.
    I agree, but it didn't say best performance, it said best picture. Best performance for me might have to be in The Doors.

^ I was surprised that wasn't getting any mentions.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I was surprised that wasn't getting any mentions.
    Well, his performance was excellent, I thought the film was a bit flawed. It's good, but not great IMO. I'm not always enamoured of Oliver Stone's directing to be honest. Obviously some of his films are very, very good (Platoon, Wall Street, etc.) but when I look at his body of work, I see a lot of films that I found flawed in one way or another - some very, some only slightly so. But to his credit, he drew a marvelous performance from Kilmer as Jim Morrison, so if we are going with that as a criteria, it should be mentioned by all means.

Yeah, me too. I was amazed at how good Jennifer Lopez was in it, too.

A couple other good Clooney performances/movies were Syriana and Intolerable Cruelty.

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Other stuff I can't stand: Big Lebowski, I'm looking at you. (I know, I know, I am going to hear it from everyone on that. Don't waste the keystrokes.)
    You and me both, friend. The sheer adoration for that movie is baffling to me. I'm also not a fan of John Goodman, which doesn't help.
    I like John Goodman. He was great in Raising Arizona, Punchline, Barton Fink, and O Brother Where Are Thou? But as for The Big Lebowski, I'm with you guys.

I agree, but it didn't say best performance, it said best picture. Best performance for me might have to be in The Doors.
    Yep. He was ridiculously good in The Doors. He was also really memorable as Doc Holliday in Tombstone. I don't know what happened to him as he seemed to have a promising career up to Heat, which sort of solidified his rep, but since... he must have the worst track record for picking shitty movies of any actor/actress I've run across.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The two showdown scenes between Doc and Ringo in Tombstone are ones I can watch over and over
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Val Kilmer was pretty good as John Holmes in Wonderland (2003).

The Wonderland murders were also loosely depicted in Boogie Nights .
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yep. He was ridiculously good in The Doors. He was also really memorable as Doc Holliday in Tombstone. I don't know what happened to him as he seemed to have a promising career up to Heat, which sort of solidified his rep, but since... he must have the worst track record for picking shitty movies of any actor/actress I've run across.
    Years ago, I saw an early movie he made alongside his soon-to-be-wife at the time, Joanne Whalley: Kill Me Again. I remember the movie being good, with twists up to the very end. But I haven't re-watched it since (though I have a copy of it) so it may not have held up with the passage of time.

Coen Brothers: Man, I had forgotten how many good movies they've made. Fargo! I can't believe I forgot about Fargo. No Country. Another great one. True Grit.

Clooney: People also keep bringing his other great performances. Mentioned are Syriana, The Descendants, what about all three Ocean's Eleven movies? I LOVE all three of them, though there are legit issues with 12 and 13, I think 11 is just about perfect for what it is, and a FUN movie to watch again and again. Up in the Air. The Ides of March. The American. Heck, while they aren't great movies by any stretch, I liked him in Money Monster and The Perfect Storm.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Why, Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave.

Positively!

Put the Coens first film, Blood Simple in there also.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Why, Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave.
    Ah'll be yur huckleberry...

Ya know what, talking about George Clooney, I forgot about Burn After Reading, another Coen Brothers picture, which I thought was pretty good. So for me it's:

The Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Burn After Reading
    Return Of The Killer Tomatoes

As for John Goodman, ya know what the first thing I remember seeing him in was? He was in David Byrne's movie True Stories. In fact, it was the video for the Talking Heads song Wild Wild Life, which is basically an actual scene in the movie, where I first saw him. I remember being really disappointed in that bit when I saw the movie, because it basically depicts a lip syncing contest (!?!?!?). My assumption when I first saw the video was that it was a karaoke contest (not that I had ever heard the word "karaoke" at the time, but today, that's the word you'd use), so in my mind, I expected to hear all these actors doing really bad jobs at each bit of the song. I'd like to see True Stories again, haven't seen in like 30 years. I think that must have been the Bravo Channel I saw it on, back before it went down the toilet (along with every other cable TV service that was around in the 80's and 90's).

Who's ever heard of a lip sync contest?! (Yeah, I know, that was the era of Puttin' On The Hits, so maybe Byrne was trying to lampoon that)
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 08-13-2019 at 02:32 PM.