Page 149 of 397 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159199249 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,725 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Don't hold your breath. The 'longer' version contains only one deleted scene which is...nice, though not exactly essential. I think there may also be a few tweaks to some of the dialogue and a few editing changes here and there, but its nothing to get excited about.

I read about an added scene as to how they got on the roof with all the hardware.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I read about an added scene as to how they got on the roof with all the hardware.
    Nope...this is mythical. I saw it discussed on another website. I have known this movie like the back of my hand since release.

Also, if there had been a scene in between where the camera pans up front the buses showing Des Moines, and panning down again to the roof it would have messed up the score, which played continuously throughout that transition.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Thief (1981)

Re watched this gem on Amazon Prime last night.

Although released in 81, Thief feels like a 70s character driven crime drama.

This was also director Michael Manns first (and best) movie imo.

The look was fresh, before it got old with MTV and Miami Vice.

James Caan was great here also, arguably his best role.
    If I understand correctly, based on the same book that inspired Peter Gabriel's song "Intruder".
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    If I understand correctly, based on the same book that inspired Peter Gabriel's song "Intruder".
    If you mean the book The Home Invaders by Frank Hohimer...then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Nope...this is mythical. I saw it discussed on another website. I have known this movie like the back of my hand since release.

Also, if there had been a scene in between where the camera pans up front the buses showing Des Moines, and panning down again to the roof it would have messed up the score, which played continuously throughout that transition.
    OK

King of New York (1990)

Another re watch that hasn't aged well for me despite the cast.

Pulpy Scarface style crime drama that should have been better.

Christopher Walken makes it bearable

Tonight we watched The Wife, an absolutely excellent film starring Jonathan Pryce and Glenn Close. Beautifully directed by Björn Runge. Outstanding writing and acting, this is my kind of movie.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Tonight we watched The Wife, an absolutely excellent film starring Jonathan Pryce and Glenn Close. Beautifully directed by Björn Runge. Outstanding writing and acting, this is my kind of movie.
    I agree, three dimensional characters, complexity of long term relationships, and excellent performance by Close and Pryce.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great movie
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Caught the end of The Fantastic Mr. Fox, a great animated film from 2009. I saw this probably about 6 or 7 years ago, so i twas kinda nice to see the part of it I saw today. Actually, the main reason I left it on, was because I wanted to hear the song that plays at the end of the movie, over the first part of the closing credits, which is Let Her Dance by The Bobby Fuller Four. When I saw this movie the first time, I hadn't heard that song in about 30 years (I had the I Fought The Law LP when I was little), and I was astonished I somehow forgot that guitar riff.

Anyway, it's a good movie, based on a Roald Dahl book. It's probably the best movie that George Clooney's ever been in*, and Bill Murray great as the voice of Badger. I love the scene where Murray is describing the three owners of the chicken ranch that Fox is planning on robbing. There's a line about how one one of the humans "Eats three chickens for breakfast, dinner, supper, and dessert, for a per diem of 12 chickens a day". The way Murray delivers that factoid...I dunno, it shouldn't be funny, but somehow it is. Or it is to me, anyway. And like I said, it's got that Bobby Fuller song in it.

*I suppose you're gonna tell me Clooney's best picture was Solaris, huh? Or Batman And Robin? Thanks, but no thanks! I'll take The Fantastic Mr Fox and Return Of The Killer Tomatoes.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 08-12-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Fantastic Mr. Fox is effin' brilliant. It has a really disturbing animated visual style and a razor wit.

Has anyone out there seen The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot? I've got it on my to-watch pile...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    *I suppose you're gonna tell me Clooney's best picture was [...] Batman And Robin?
    I don't think anyone in their right mind would tell you that.

Finally saw Widows the other night. We loved it but there's a plot point that I can't get my head around.

What the hell did Harry do with the first two million? It didn't burn up, we saw that in the flashback. And we never saw how the other women picked up their share and how the Mannings got paid off.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Has anyone out there seen The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot? I've got it on my to-watch pile...
    It's in my queue but the reviews were pretty mixed so I'm deprioritizing it at the moment, will probably get round to it.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

*I suppose you're gonna tell me Clooney's best picture was Solaris?
    IMHO, that one goes to Michael Clayton
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Fantastic Mr. Fox is effin' brilliant. It has a really disturbing animated visual style and a razor wit.
    I agree. Which is why I was REALLY disappointed with Isle of Dogs.

But, that same weekend I saw Spiderman: Into the Spider-verse and Your Name, so two outstanding ones (out of three) in the Animation category offset the disappointment.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    IMHO, that one goes to Michael Clayton
    Good call. I'd nominate

Oh Brother Where Art Thou?
    The American
    From Dusk Til Dawn
    Hail Caesar!
    Ian

re: Batman & Robin possibly being George Clooney's best picture

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I don't think anyone in their right mind would tell you that.
    Well, yes, I know that, I was being facetious. Ya know, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen Batman & Robin. I've seen the one that came before it, the one with Val Kilmer*, where they introduced Robin, but I don't think I ever saw the fourth one. And I never actually saw the first Micheal Keaton either. So I saw just the middle two movies.

*BTW, Kilmer's best pictures, as far as I'm concerned, are Top Secret! (how can you deny a movie where "I'm going to add your name to the Montgomery Ward mailing list" is used as a threat?) and Real Genius (which did a hell of a lot better job with the "geeks" thing that Big Bang Theory did).
    How do you reckon it was "disturbing"?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Good call. I'd nominate

Oh Brother Where Art Thou?
    The American
    From Dusk Til Dawn
    Hail Caesar!
    Forgot about Oh Brother Where Art Thou?, even when I was looking at his credits on Wikipedia last night. I did see From Dusk Til Dawn and thought "Yeah, someone's gonna cite that one".

Top Secret! and Real Genius being cited as Val Kilmer's best pictures when the guy was in True Romance and Heat is the Head-scratcher Of The Day for Monday, August 12th, 2019.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Good call. I'd nominate

The American
    Excellent!

Couldn't get into Brother, Where Art Thou. Didn't see the others. Hail Caesar is a Coen Bros film also? They are hit and miss with me.

Another GREAT Clooney pic: The Descendants

Excellent!
    Hail Caesar is a Coen Bros film also?
    Nevermind. Wiki answered the question.

Some of their stuff I love: Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Barton Fink.

Other stuff I can't stand: Big Lebowski, I'm looking at you. (I know, I know, I am going to hear it from everyone on that. Don't waste the keystrokes.)

Other stuff I can't stand: Big Lebowski, I'm looking at you. (I know, I know, I am going to hear it from everyone on that. Don't waste the keystrokes.)
    You and me both, friend. The sheer adoration for that movie is baffling to me. I'm also not a fan of John Goodman, which doesn't help.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Dudes!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)