Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

  1. #3651
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Magnificent Seven, 2016.

    [...]

    Ok, maybe they tried to inject some diversity by having Mexican, Korean and Native American characters, but that's ok.

    [...]
    I'd say that's more than just "ok". Diversity and inclusiveness are good.

  2. #3652
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I'd say that's more than just "ok". Diversity and inclusiveness are good.
    The original hasd a Mexican and a cyborg.

  3. #3653
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    The original hasd a Mexican and a cyborg.
    There was a Mexican and cyborg in Seven Samurai?!

    I still prefer Roger Corman's version, Battle Beyond The Stars.

  4. #3654
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I'd say that's more than just "ok". Diversity and inclusiveness are good.
    And I didnt mean to infer that I personally have a problem with it, but I know some people at the time of release saw it as a way of 'shoehorning' in diversity etc. Primarily the sort of people who treat the original movies as sacrosant.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

  5. #3655
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    There was a Mexican and cyborg in Seven Samurai?!

    I still prefer Roger Corman's version, Battle Beyond The Stars.
    No , the original The Magnificent Seven. Yul Brenner was not in Seven Samurai , which by the way I have not seen , because I know I won't like it.

  6. #3656
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,783
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Yul Brenner was not in Seven Samurai , which by the way I have not seen , because I know I won't like it.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  7. #3657
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    There was a Mexican and cyborg in Seven Samurai?!

    I still prefer Roger Corman's version, Battle Beyond The Stars.
    GG I thought BBTS was interesting but it was hard to adjust to John Boy in a space ship. However, that film had one of the greatest space weapons. THE STELLAR CONVERTER.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  8. #3658
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    And I didnt mean to infer that I personally have a problem with it, but I know some people at the time of release saw it as a way of 'shoehorning' in diversity etc. Primarily the sort of people who treat the original movies as sacrosant.
    I didn't think you had a problem with it.

    There is always some fraction of the fan base who get mad about movie remakes/reboots/continuations that include a more ethnically diverse cast than previous installments. It's sad that some folks see that as shoehorning in diversity, rather than as an opportunity to be more inclusive to under-represented groups of people. Especially in the case of The Magnificent Seven, where it makes sense that a ragtag group of folks from various backgrounds would probably include people of different races too.

  9. #3659
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I didn't think you had a problem with it.

    There is always some fraction of the fan base who get mad about movie remakes/reboots/continuations that include a more ethnically diverse cast than previous installments. It's sad that some folks see that as shoehorning in diversity, rather than as an opportunity to be more inclusive to under-represented groups of people. Especially in the case of The Magnificent Seven, where it makes sense that a ragtag group of folks from various backgrounds would probably include people of different races too.
    One example I will note is the film, 12 Angry Men. The original which most of us have seen, would probable think it cannot be improved upon. The remake, some years later, had a diverse cast which made it interesting but at times contrived. I didn't think it was very good but it wasn't because it included different groups of people. It was simply a bad remake.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  10. #3660
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    One example I will note is the film, 12 Angry Men. The original which most of us have seen, would probable think it cannot be improved upon. The remake, some years later, had a diverse cast which made it interesting but at times contrived. I didn't think it was very good but it wasn't because it included different groups of people. It was simply a bad remake.
    Agree with everything you say, Staun. Of course.

    Ironically, you mention the diversity in the remake but it excludes women.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  11. #3661
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    6,139
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    There is always some fraction of the fan base who get mad about movie remakes/reboots/continuations that include a more ethnically diverse cast than previous installments. It's sad that some folks see that as shoehorning in diversity, rather than as an opportunity to be more inclusive to under-represented groups of people. Especially in the case of The Magnificent Seven, where it makes sense that a ragtag group of folks from various backgrounds would probably include people of different races too.
    I'm not a fan of the movies about Dark Age Norse or British that include one member of the cast who would have to be from Equatorial Africa, an area with no history of seafaring peoples. Or the Thor movies, where one of the Norse gods is an Equatorial African. I know why it's done, but it's a healthy dollop of revisionism on the supposedly historical fantasy. As I said, not a fan.

  12. #3662
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Agree with everything you say, Staun. Of course.

    Ironically, you mention the diversity in the remake but it excludes women.
    Well, there's the legendary skit 12 Angry Men Inside Amy Schumer.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  13. #3663
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm not a fan of the movies about Dark Age Norse or British that include one member of the cast who would have to be from Equatorial Africa, an area with no history of seafaring peoples. Or the Thor movies, where one of the Norse gods is an Equatorial African. I know why it's done, but it's a healthy dollop of revisionism on the supposedly historical fantasy. As I said, not a fan.
    In the Thor movies, none of the Asgardians are Norse. They're extraterrestrials. Just sayin'...

  14. #3664
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Agree with everything you say, Staun. Of course.

    Ironically, you mention the diversity in the remake but it excludes women.
    Once again, short sighted me.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  15. #3665
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    In the Thor movies, none of the Asgardians are Norse. They're extraterrestrials. Just sayin'...
    That's what I thought.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  16. #3666
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    GG I thought BBTS was interesting but it was hard to adjust to John Boy in a space ship. However, that film had one of the greatest space weapons. THE STELLAR CONVERTER.
    I think the thing about Battle Beyond The Star is just that overall cast. Besides Richard Thomas, you also had George Peppard, John Saxon, Sybil Danning, and in possibly one of the greatest casting coups in all of Roger Corman's work as a producer, he had one of the actual stars of The Magnificent Seven, essentially playing the exact same character, in the form of Robert Vaughan! As a side note, Lost In Space escapee Marta Kristen was also in the movie, as was future Newhart star Julia Duffy, and Bill Paxton (who later gave us the classic line "Do you realize, it's snowing in my bedroom?!", in Weird Science) was apparently employed as a carpenter on the production.

    And how can you not love a movie with a ship that looks like that?! Wait, you mean you never noticed that someone obviously based the look of John Boy's ship on a picture from a biology textbook?!

  17. #3667
    This talk of remakes has me wondering: which remakes were actually worth the trip? I'm sure I've seen a few over the years, but I can't think of any off the top of my head, beyond the Hammer Dracula and Frankenstein pictures from the late 50's and 60's.

    I'm not sure the world really needed an American version of Solaris, much less one with George Clooney in it.

  18. #3668
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,415
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    This talk of remakes has me wondering: which remakes were actually worth the trip? I'm sure I've seen a few over the years, but I can't think of any off the top of my head, beyond the Hammer Dracula and Frankenstein pictures from the late 50's and 60's.

    I'm not sure the world really needed an American version of Solaris, much less one with George Clooney in it.
    This is a tough one. Hal, Ron? I know this. With a remake, your going in with a built in bias and if it doesn't meet your specs, your going to be all over it. A Star Is Born? Imitation Of Life?
    The older I get, the better I was.

  19. #3669
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,415
    Your right about Robert Vaughn. Weird isn't it. And the Ship, there has to be a joke attached to that.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  20. #3670
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    6,139
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    In the Thor movies, none of the Asgardians are Norse. They're extraterrestrials. Just sayin'...
    They are the gods of the Norse, and therefore "Norse gods." While rooted in the comic books of the 1960s, they are taken directly from Norse religion, names, attributes and all.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  21. #3671
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Well, there's the legendary skit 12 Angry Men Inside Amy Schumer.
    I like Amy but I don't want to see that. There are certain things that I revere too much to want to see them sullied. 12AM would be one of those things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Once again, short sighted me.
    What I meant was, the irony is that the producers wanted a more diverse cast but didn't include women.

    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    This is a tough one. Hal, Ron?
    Ron left the building. (he's on vacation)

    A Christmas Carol was remade several times and many think, myself & Geezer included, that the '51 remake with Alastair Sim is the definitive version.

    A Star is Born is an obvious one. Not sure if either of the two remakes are as good as the original but I remember all the girls that I went to school with loved the Streisand/Kristofferson version.

    No Way Out from the late '80s, starring Kevin Costner, was a remake of an old Ray Milland film noir called The Big Clock. That's a good movie, Staun. Look for it on TCM.

    The Postman Always Rings Twice with Jack Nicholson was a remake of an old '40s film noir that starred Lana Turner, I think. (I was right. I don't know why I doubt myself. lol)

    Hitch remade his '30s movie, The Man Who Knew Too Much, in the '50s with Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day. I didn't care for either one, really, but the 2nd one did well at the box office.

    Pale Rider with Clint Eastwood was a reworking of Shane. Altho, I don't know if you could exactly call it a remake.

    Little Shop of Horrors was remade into a musical with Rick Moranis and it did well. The original, with Jack Nicholson as the dental patient, is pretty funny.

    Personally, I liked the remake of Solaris.

    The Ring, with Naomi Watts, was a remake of the Japanese movie Ringu. I thought both were good.

    Was The Incredible Hulk, with Edward Norton, a remake of Ang Lee's Hulk? I never saw Lee's version so I can't compare but the Norton version was watchable.


    I'm done wracking my brain. Besides, I'm tired and hungry.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  22. #3672
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    No , the original The Magnificent Seven. Yul Brenner was not in Seven Samurai , which by the way I have not seen , because I know I won't like it.
    Yes, I know. I was being facetious when I invoked the Kurosawa original. I've never seen The Magnificent Seven, mainly because I'm generally not into westerns, though I would like to see it sometime.

    I have seen Seven Samurai, which I thought was a pretty good picture. I need to see that, and some Kurosawa-san's other works again.

  23. #3673
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,516
    I actually have The Seven Samurai and still haven't seen it. I tried once but only got about 10 or 15 minutes into it. I have a problem with the Japanese acting style. Which is why I can't stand anime... Aeon Flux notwithstanding.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  24. #3674
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They are the gods of the Norse, and therefore "Norse gods." While rooted in the comic books of the 1960s, they are taken directly from Norse religion, names, attributes and all.
    I’m not disagreeing with that point, just saying that they don’t need to all look like the Norse people because they aren’t even from earth.

    I’m assuming you were referring to Heimdall earlier, played by Idris Elba. Possibly the coolest man alive currently.

  25. #3675
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Agree with everything you say, Staun. Of course.

    Ironically, you mention the diversity in the remake but it excludes women.
    Perhaps it excludes women because the title is Twelve Angry MEN .
    I have nothing against diversity , it is nessasary for a civilized society , but the fact remains , in real life there are as many instantces of homogenized groups as diverse groups . Good movies reflect real life . Forcing diversity for its own sake , in an unwarranted scenerio , just provides one more obstacle to the suspension of belief often required in movie viewing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •