Page 142 of 397 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152192242 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 9906

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Watched The Thomas Crown Affair (1967) last night on Amazon Prime.

I saw the Pierce Brosnan remake when it was released but never saw the original .

I Really liked it. McQueen was perfect and Faye Dunaway was gorgeous in this.

The epitome of 60s cool imo

Amazing jazzy score that most peeps here would dig
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Watched The Love Witch on Prime. Strange flick, this. It is from 2016, but has the look and feel of a movie from 1970, although anachronisms show up later in the flick. (?) It concerns a beautiful Wiccan who goes through several men, with negative repercussions for the men. Despite the nudity and some sex, this is more of a curio than anything else, and is not a "must see."

Apartment 407

Also on Prime. Very disturbing true story about how a young woman gets tricked and abducted, and forced into the sexual trade business. Gritty and difficult to watch at times, but done very well. The woman
    playing the lead role was fantastic. Authenticity must have been spot on too, as the actual real life victim read a brief monologue before the start of the film as to why this was made.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Wyatt Earp (Kevin Costner). Watched over the weekend. Yes, I'm not supposed to like it. But I like it. Great film. As good as Tombstone, maybe better. Yeah it's long, but it's just as violent and dramatic. Great film.

Saw The Empire Strikes Back tonight. First time I've seen in a theater in nearly 40 (!!!!) years, and probably only about the 4th or 5th time I've ever seen it all the way through. It appears the Cinematheque are showing the "special editions", though it's been so long since I've seen any of the original trilogy (the only Star Wars movies I've ever seen), I'm not sure exactly what was changed in The Empire Strikes Back.

I know in Star Wars, George added that whole scene with an ambulatory Jabba The Hut, and he more infamously inserted that shot of Greedo shooting first, so as to save Han's reputation or whatever.

But what he did to The Empire Strikes Back seems to be a lot subtler. I didn't see any scenes I don't remember being in the original movie, and most of the effects shots looked like the way I remember them looking back in the 80's. Even the stop motion animated shots of Han and Luke riding the Taun-tauns still looks like stop motion animation (as opposed to CGI, which is what you would have expected George to go with if he was gonna mess with the material nearly 20 years after the fact). I seem to recall that the windows in the hallways in Bespin weren't there in the original version, but beyond that, I'm not sure what they did on that one.

Looking forward to seeing Return Of The Jedi next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    LOL! Not one of Brando's better choices. Better than Island Of Dr. Moreau, perhaps.
    The initial scenes with Brando are entertaining, but after that the plot gets extremely silly.

John Carpenter's The Thing. Creepy as af. Plus, I got unexpectedly jumped by at least one spring-loaded cat (which this movie does not rely heavily on). I haven't seen the Howard Hawkes version (which is on tap now), but I can compare it to the original novella, "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell, and I find it a reasonably good adaptation of the spirit, if not the plot, of the original.

Love the ambiguous ending.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    This Godfather tangent has got me wanting to watch The Freshman again.
    The whole plot with the gourmet club was ridiculous but there were some things that live forever: The Mona Lisa, the film professor obsessed with the Mob, etc.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    John Carpenter's The Thing. Creepy as af. Plus, I got unexpectedly jumped by at least one spring-loaded cat (which this movie does not rely heavily on). I haven't seen the Howard Hawkes version (which is on tap now), but I can compare it to the original novella, "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell, and I find it a reasonably good adaptation of the spirit, if not the plot, of the original.

Definitely a top 5 desert island movie for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The whole plot with the gourmet club was ridiculous but there were some things that live forever: The Mona Lisa, the film professor obsessed with the Mob, etc.
    That's who I was thinking of mostly when I posted that, "Mr. Bentley" from The Jeffersons and his infatuation with the Godfather movies.

This is without question my favorite scary movie. The scene when they all run in to the kennel and first see the "dog" in the middle of its transformation; it looks at them and lets out that otherworldly howl, and it still gives me goosebumps.

The John Carpenter version of The Thing is pretty awesome. I have it on DVD. The bit where they're doing the blood test, and the blood leaps up off the disc was one of the great "shock" moments of all time for me. And I love the bit where the head turns into a giant spider.

I always thought The Thing would make a pretty decent TV series considering if everything else was created well: writing, plot, actors, etc. They wouldn't have to tell the whole story all over again, although it probably wouldn't hurt to set in motions some of the fundamentals, then most of the series takes place after the survivors leaves camp. You could have more than one Thing as it has started spreading, and the series deals with how to hunt them down, eliminate them, etc.

The Thing From Another World is definitely worth seeing. It was one of the first SF horror movies I saw as a kid along with Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I generally prefer the originals of films, but will hand it to Carpenter for doing an outstanding job.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Watched The Thomas Crown Affair (1967) last night on Amazon Prime.

I saw the Pierce Brosnan remake when it was released but never saw the original .

I Really liked it. McQueen was perfect and Faye Dunaway was gorgeous in this.

The epitome of 60s cool imo

Amazing jazzy score that most peeps here would dig
    TTCA was a good film but I liked, The Getaway, much better. A lot of the older movies had great scores. For instance, Anatomy of a Murder.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Huge classic! Better late than never!
    ITHOTN presents an old argument for me. I love everything Rod did but for me, this was all Sidney. The academy gave the award to Rod. Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    TTCA was a good film but I liked, The Getaway, much better. A lot of the older movies had great scores. For instance, Anatomy of a Murder.
    Same, but TCA was sixties cool and The Getaway 70s grit.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Same, but TCA was sixties cool and The Getaway 70s grit.
    I think your right.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I tried watching the Holmes & Watson movie with Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly, but man is that a bad movie! I know I was warned here somewhere. How did they manage to make it so bad?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Here's a description of a movie I'm going to see with my wife on Wednesday:

Yesterday, everyone knew The Beatles. Today, only Jack remembers their songs. He's about to become a very big deal.

Jack Malik (Himesh Patel) is a struggling singer-songwriter in a tiny English seaside town whose dreams of fame are rapidly fading, despite the fierce devotion and support of his childhood best friend, Ellie (Lily James). Then, after a freak bus accident during a mysterious global blackout, Jack wakes up to discover that The Beatles have never existed ... and he finds himself with a very complicated problem, indeed.

Performing songs by the greatest band in history to a world that has never heard them, and with a little help from his steel-hearted American agent, Debra (Kate McKinnon), Jack's fame explodes. But as his star rises, he risks losing Ellie -- the one person who always believed in him. With the door between his old life and his new closing, Jack will need to get back to where he once belonged and prove that all you need is love.

--__________________________________________________ ______________________________

This coud be really decent or really bad - nothing in between me thinks. I'm hoping for something really good.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    A lot of the older movies had great scores. For instance, Anatomy of a Murder.
    That's what happens when you get Duke Ellington to do your musical score. That's one of the view movies have the soundtrack to.

Agree, one of Carpenter's best films for sure. The original Hawkes version was also very good for it's time. That's James Arness (aka Matt Dillon from Gunsmoke) as the monster if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Here's a description of a movie I'm going to see with my wife on Wednesday:

Yesterday, everyone knew The Beatles. Today, only Jack remembers their songs. He's about to become a very big deal.

Jack Malik (Himesh Patel) is a struggling singer-songwriter in a tiny English seaside town whose dreams of fame are rapidly fading, despite the fierce devotion and support of his childhood best friend, Ellie (Lily James). Then, after a freak bus accident during a mysterious global blackout, Jack wakes up to discover that The Beatles have never existed ... and he finds himself with a very complicated problem, indeed.

Performing songs by the greatest band in history to a world that has never heard them, and with a little help from his steel-hearted American agent, Debra (Kate McKinnon), Jack's fame explodes. But as his star rises, he risks losing Ellie -- the one person who always believed in him. With the door between his old life and his new closing, Jack will need to get back to where he once belonged and prove that all you need is love.

--__________________________________________________ ______________________________

This coud be really decent or really bad - nothing in between me thinks. I'm hoping for something really good.
    I have been curious about this one. The reviews have been generally positive, but many on rotten tomatoes saying that it could have been a better film that it ultimately was.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have been curious about this one. The reviews have been generally positive, but many on rotten tomatoes saying that it could have been a better film that it ultimately was.
    Steve, I'll post back with my comments.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agree, one of Carpenter's best films for sure. The original Hawkes version was also very good for it's time. That's James Arness (aka Matt Dillon from Gunsmoke) as the monster if I remember correctly.
    (Ed McMahon mode) You are correct, sir! (Ed McMahon mode off)

I haven't seen the Hawkes version in ages, but I recall it having good atmosphere.

Arness was also in another classic 50's horror flick, Them!, ya know, the one with the giant ants mutated by atomic bomb tests. According to Wikipedia, Walt Disney watched Them!, because Arness had been recommended to him as a cast possibility for his planned TV show about Davey Crockett. But Walt was more impressed by one of the other actors in the film, Fess Parker. Also on the strength of his performance in Them!, John Wayne apparently recommended Arness for Gunsmoke.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's what happens when you get Duke Ellington to do your musical score. That's one of the view movies have the soundtrack to.
    I've been bring in a few myself. I just got, Golden Boy, with Sammy Davis Jr. Wonderful music. Of course we've talked about, Jesus Christ Superstar here which I've had for some time. But I'm paying much more attention to movie sound tracks lately.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The John Carpenter version of The Thing is pretty awesome. I have it on DVD. The bit where they're doing the blood test, and the blood leaps up off the disc was one of the great "shock" moments of all time for me. And I love the bit where the head turns into a giant spider.
    In that same scene, I absolutely love Donald Moffets line at the end that starts "I know you gentlemen have been through a lot..."

It really breaks the tension after the preceding scene...hilarious!