Page 133 of 397 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183233 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Apollo 11 - extraordinary new doc about the Apollo 11 mission using newly discovered and never seen before 70mm footage, which has been enhanced for 4K resolution. From the shots of the launch, to the extraordinary scenes on the moon and the re entry and splashdown, its a fascinating and interesting take on the mission.

There is no narration, its all done using the voices of those involved at the time, with some nostalgic old style graphic animations to show the path and trajectory of the craft. The filmmakers also try to use footage that is not familiar to us, alternate angles and shots rather than the familiar footage we usually see. Also included is footage shot by the astronauts themselves.

To appreciate it you will need a decent size 4K TV, and a surround system. Good soundtrack too, made using only instruments that were available in 1969.

If this is the sort of thing you like, and as someone who is old enough to have watched the moon landings live, then this is right up your street and highly recommended.
    Ditto on all you said. The 70mm footage is Gorgeous. Amazing images. I never tire of Apollo Project info. I personally think that the Apollo Moon Mission was the single greatest achievement of the human race. The hundreds of thousands of people required to accomplish what they accomplished is mind-boggling.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Saw Godzilla: King of the Monsters over the weekend. As someone who grew up watching the old Toho movies (along with my brother and our friends), I walked out of this movie on cloud 9. Absolutely loved it; it was exactly what I was hoping it would be -- loud, huge, over the top, and lots of fun.

They did justice to the classic monsters like Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah who was particularly terrifying. It was really apparent that the filmmakers had a lot of affection for the original source material. And while the human characters are usually lacking in movies like this (and this one is no exception really), I liked that they gave Ken Watanabe more to do this time around. His presence gave it some emotional weight.

Tonally, it differs a bit from Gareth Edwards' 2014 Godzilla movie (which I also liked). That one was a much more serious film, sometimes too serious IMO, but this one cuts loose much more and isn't afraid to have fun with the inherent silliness of giant monster movies. I can't wait to see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    But, is Blazing Saddles, still one of the funniest films of all time? What say you?
    I don't know. Looking over AFI's list of the 100 best comedies, there are a lot I'd rank higher than Blazing Saddles which is 6th. And there are others not on the list I'd rank higher, as well.

So, top 30? Probably. No higher tho. I'm a big fan of those old comedies from the '30s & '40s.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Watched, Murder by Death, yesterday and it's always made me howl. But, is Blazing Saddles, still one of the funniest films of all time? What say you?
    I think its funny but dated. IMO The Big Lebowski is a top contender for funniest.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I think its funny but dated. IMO The Big Lebowski is a top contender for funniest.
    I've never seen the appeal of that one. I don't say that in order to shit on your comment or to be negative for the sake of - I just wish I could see what everyone else sees... I know I'm in the minority on this. I saw it later on, and perhaps I was expecting something more, after seeing the countless internet memes, etc. but I didn't laugh once - honestly. My wife was mystified (she thinks it's hilarious). I'm not a fan of John Goodman, for starters, and I thought his character in that movie was an annoying psychopath who could have been transplanted into a drama and nobody would bat an eyelid.

But we all have our strange quirks and tastes. I laugh uproariously at Yellowbeard, and some people say it's one of the worst comedies ever! So go figure.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    But, is Blazing Saddles, still one of the funniest films of all time? What say you?
    Top 5 certainly.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I prefer Young Frankenstein but they're both top ten.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've never seen the appeal of that one. I don't say that in order to shit on your comment or to be negative for the sake of - I just wish I could see what everyone else sees... I know I'm in the minority on this. I saw it later on, and perhaps I was expecting something more, after seeing the countless internet memes, etc. but I didn't laugh once - honestly. My wife was mystified (she thinks it's hilarious). I'm not a fan of John Goodman, for starters, and I thought his character in that movie was an annoying psychopath who could have been transplanted into a drama and nobody would bat an eyelid.

But we all have our strange quirks and tastes. I laugh uproariously at Yellowbeard, and some people say it's one of the worst comedies ever! So go figure.
    Your reaction to The Big Lebowski was mine, as well. Altho, I think Goodman is excellent in just about everything I've ever seen him in, especially the Coen Bros movies.

Don't agree with your opinion on Yellowbeard. I saw it when it was released and really wanted to like it. I didn't.

The "newish" movie that slays me is The Waterboy which I've heard a lot of people say is stupid.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Watched, Murder by Death, yesterday and it's always made me howl. But, is Blazing Saddles, still one of the funniest films of all time? What say you?
    Would you believe I've never seen Blazing Saddles? I keep missing it when it plays on the premium channels. But I lvoe some of Mel Brooks' other movies, notably History Of The World Part 1 ("Oh, I get it! You're a bullshit artist! Did you bullshit last week?") and Spaceballs. And he gets points for taking a swipe at Kevin Costner in Men In Tights ("Unlike some Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent!").

Murder By Death, I thikn is great. I love the dinner scene, where Truman Capote says he's really still sitting at the other end of the dinner table, then Peter Falk pulls out his pistol and threatens to shoot "the mirror". Capote throws up his hand and say "No, don't! It doesn't always work"! I also love Capote chastising Peter Sellers for his bad English ("Say your damn prepositions!").

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    But we all have our strange quirks and tastes. I laugh uproariously at Yellowbeard
    Me too!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I think it's dated AND funny!

And from the Coens for comedy, The Big Lebowski is great, but O Brother Where Art Thou is greater. IMO, of course.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

The Kid (2019)

Another decent western I found on Prime, starring Ethan Hawke as Pat Garrett.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Sicario--I'd seen it before, but watched it again as it was showing on FX. I liked it better the second and third time around, and watched it with subtitles. It's all cut together in interesting ways (or perhaps that's the way the network showed it), but in mid-dialogue it would switch to a new scene. It's moves pretty quickly, and I think Denis Villeneuve, built tension in that way.

They Call Me Mister Tibbs--sequel to In The Heat of the Night, which was the superior film. Mr. Tibbs lacks the story and the characterizations, but it was an okay watch, filmed in 1970 about a murder of a prostitute and a preacher that Tibbs knows. Rather dated somewhat, but Sidney Poitier always turns in good performances.

I thought Sicario was good and would like to see it again. Villeneuve has made some really good movies, like Enemy, Arrival, and Blade Runner 2049. He's also making the upcoming Dune.

Sneak peak of the next Wonder Woman movie poster. They are jumping all the way to the 1980s and Diana's armor definitely has an 80s glam.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/wonder...er-skip-hall-h
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I thought Sicario was good and would like to see it again. Villeneuve has made some really good movies, like Enemy, Arrival, and Blade Runner 2049. He's also making the upcoming Dune.
    Do you have further info on Dune? Do you know at what point in the time line it will be?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Sicario--I'd seen it before, but watched it again as it was showing on FX. I liked it better the second and third time around, and watched it with subtitles. It's all cut together in interesting ways (or perhaps that's the way the network showed it), but in mid-dialogue it would switch to a new scene. It's moves pretty quickly, and I think Denis Villeneuve, built tension in that way.

They Call Me Mister Tibbs--sequel to In The Heat of the Night, which was the superior film. Mr. Tibbs lacks the story and the characterizations, but it was an okay watch, filmed in 1970 about a murder of a prostitute and a preacher that Tibbs knows. Rather dated somewhat, but Sidney Poitier always turns in good performances.
    I agree on, TCMMT, however, I liked, The Organization a lot more. Still great performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I prefer Young Frankenstein but they're both top ten.
    YF has to be right up there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I don't know. Looking over AFI's list of the 100 best comedies, there are a lot I'd rank higher than Blazing Saddles which is 6th. And there are others not on the list I'd rank higher, as well.

So, top 30? Probably. No higher tho. I'm a big fan of those old comedies from the '30s & '40s.
    I don't know, Hal. With Madeline Kahn, Harvey Korman and Slim Pickens in tow, it has to rated much higher. They really made it go.

Do you have further info on Dune? Do you know at what point in the time line it will be?
    I believe it is a reboot.

I wonder what Slim Pickens thought of all those lines he had to deliver in Blazing Saddles. He was used to doing some humor in westerns but nothing like what Brooks and Prior wrote.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Me and my old childhood pals still pull quotes from Blazing Saddles to this day. In the top 5 comedies of all time for me for sure.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Raise your hand if you say "Somebody's gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes" when approaching a toll booth.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

My favorite comedy of all time for sheer consistency from beginning to end is Monty Pythons Life Of Brian.

I do not think there is a wasted line in the whole movie. They are all memorable. I worked in a cinema when it opened and the audience reaction was incredible.