Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

  1. #3226
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Though there would have been a market for a life size Ripley doll in the tighty whities she wore in the final scene.
    Mmm, me think sthat would have been a completely different demographic.

    Speaking of Alien, I watched Alien Vs. Predator last night. Not bad considering it's the...what now? Fifth Alien sequel? It's probably better than it should be, certainly better than I expected it to be.. Some good special effects, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. And Saana Lathan is pretty hot, too. The next movie in the series is on next week. I've already got the DVR set!

  2. #3227
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Though there would have been a market for a life size Ripley doll in the tighty whities she wore in the final scene.
    Whenever I was at work, I always tried to make sure I didn't miss that scene.

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Speaking of Alien, I watched Alien Vs. Predator last night. Not bad considering it's the...what now? Fifth Alien sequel? It's probably better than it should be, certainly better than I expected it to be.. Some good special effects, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. And Saana Lathan is pretty hot, too.
    I see it more as a story in the Predator universe. Technically, it's a crossover that was inspired by the video game.

    I saw it when it was first released on DVD and was really surprised at how much I liked it. And, yes, Sanaa Lathan is hot!
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  3. #3228
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I see it more as a story in the Predator universe. Technically, it's a crossover that was inspired by the video game.

    I saw it when it was first released on DVD and was really surprised at how much I liked it. And, yes, Sanaa Lathan is hot!
    I don't know if it's inspired by the video game or the comic books (which apparently date back to even before Predator 2)

    I'm kinda curious to read the Alien Vs. Predator comic books now.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 05-23-2019 at 10:00 PM.

  4. #3229
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,390
    Was looking for something to watch for the long weekend. Ran across, The Martian Chronicles. Been a while but too long. With Rock Hudson in mind, I went to, Ice Station Zebra. Always liked this film. Also picked over the TV Series, V. Does anyone remember that? I thought the first section was pretty good but I later lost interests. Will also watch, Firecreek, with Jimmie Stewart. A flat out great western stopper.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  5. #3230
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Was looking for something to watch for the long weekend. Ran across, The Martian Chronicles.
    I remember seeing that a couple times, I think I saw it on it's original broadcast, then saw it sometime again the 80's, possibly after I read the book in the 9th grade. I recall reading where Ray Bradbury said everything was good about the TV adaptation, except that it was "so damn long" or something like that. Well, it did air across two or three nights, originally, I believe.
    the TV Series, V.
    I believe June Chadwick, who you guys will remember as Jeanine in This Is Spinal Tap, played one of the Reptilians. Oh wait, does that constitute a spoiler? I seem to recall the original mini-series was pretty good, but when it got renewed the following season, everything went sideways.

  6. #3231
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Firecreek, with Jimmie Stewart. A flat out great western stopper.
    ok... this I have not seen yet
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  7. #3232
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    When the remake came out they bragged that they went to the Charles Portis novel and came up with a completely different movie. Well, the John Wayne movie also used the novel as the source. The movies were not that different from each other. And though I love the Coen Brothers' movies, and Jeff Bridges is one of my favorite actors, John Wayne was Rooster Cogburn.
    Not having read the novel, I can't compare the two movie Cogburns. However, I do think it was Wayne's best role. Don't know if he deserved the Oscar more than Dustin Hoffman for Ratso Rizzo but I'm not going to quibble over it, either.

    Another good western I saw recently that I can recommend you is The Sisters Brothers (2018). It is slow paced, as was the real old west, but it is very well done.
    Just watched it last night. You're right, it was good. Funny thing about it, tho: so many movies have been ruined by a middling to crappy ending but I thought the ending to TSB was very satisfying.

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I don't know if it's inspired by the video game or the comic books (which apparently date back to even before Predator)
    That I didn't know. I'm sure you're right, then.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  8. #3233
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,450
    The Perfection. Just released on Netflix today. Stars Allison Williams, Logan Browning, and Steven Weber (from the TV show Wings). I think this was labelled as a psychological thriller. I'd call it a twisted, fucked up movie. And I mean that in a good way. Here's the trailer:



    Watch it!

    The Homesman (2014). A western starring Hilary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones, who also directed. A really good movie... up until the last minute. Did not like that ending. Will still recommend it, tho.
    Last edited by Hal...; 05-25-2019 at 01:12 AM.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  9. #3234
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,130
    Whoa.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  10. #3235
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,693
    Finally saw Avengers: Endgame. I could nitpick some of the time travel stuff but that is the pathway to madness. The film, as a whole, works quite well to give closure to a 20+ movie arc and pretty much sticks the landing with goodbyes to two of its heroes (another one doesn't get much of a farewell and that exasperating). It gave me a sense of satisfaction that Game of Thrones seemed determined to deny me.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  11. #3236
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The Perfection. Just released on Netflix today. Stars Allison Williams, Logan Browning, and Steven Weber (from the TV show Wings). I think this was labelled as a psychological thriller. I'd call it a twisted, fucked up movie. And I mean that in a good way. Here's the trailer:



    Watch it!
    I did last night, and I agree that it's pretty bizarre. I really liked it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  12. #3237
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Everywhere with helicopter
    Posts
    101
    I just received and watched the Blu-Ray of "Apollo 11", the new documentary of the first moon landing 50 years ago. The star of the show is the discovery of 70mm archival footage that the filmmakers had to build a special new scanner to be able to recover. That footage, of the run-up to launch, is crystal clear and stunning.

    The best part is what was shot as the three astronauts were preparing to board the rocket, the look on their faces as the technicians made their last minute adjustments.

    There are no special effects, no narration other than sound bites of the news reports of the time (Cronkite, etc.).

    If you're old enough, like me, to remember the event, and especially if you weren't around back then, this film is just mesmerizing and will give you chills.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

  13. #3238
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I just received and watched the Blu-Ray of "Apollo 11", the new documentary of the first moon landing 50 years ago. The star of the show is the discovery of 70mm archival footage that the filmmakers had to build a special new scanner to be able to recover. That footage, of the run-up to launch, is crystal clear and stunning.

    The best part is what was shot as the three astronauts were preparing to board the rocket, the look on their faces as the technicians made their last minute adjustments.

    There are no special effects, no narration other than sound bites of the news reports of the time (Cronkite, etc.).

    If you're old enough, like me, to remember the event, and especially if you weren't around back then, this film is just mesmerizing and will give you chills.
    I want to see this. Anyone know if it is on Netflix, On Demand or any other service of that type?

  14. #3239
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,341
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I want to see this. Anyone know if it is on Netflix, On Demand or any other service of that type?
    It's available on my On Demand package
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  15. #3240
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,693
    I swear I saw an ad last night saying CNN was going to run it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  16. #3241
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    6,069
    Prime has it...For rental.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  17. #3242
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's available on my On Demand package
    Yup, on mine too I just found out. Thanks!

  18. #3243
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,450
    Watched this the other night on Amazon Prime. I thought it was pretty good:

    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  19. #3244
    Prometheus: Alien prequel. Good picture, very suspenseful and creepy. Did anyone notice that one of the characters was named Elizabeth Shaw? Maybe I'm reaching a bit, but, ya know that was the name of the Third Doctor's first companion, right?

  20. #3245
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I haven't seen this (though I really want to), but the doc on the Nic Cage Superman film that was never made was also excellent.
    Thanks for that, Scott! I watched this yesterday. Very interesting. It's great that some of the key players involved agreed to be filmed for this, including Tim Burton.

    The credits were a joke to watch. They scrolled through the list of Kickstarter & crowd funding supporters. I laughed at how tiny some of the text was and how fast it whizzed by...

  21. #3246
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The Perfection. Just released on Netflix today. Stars Allison Williams, Logan Browning, and Steven Weber (from the TV show Wings). I think this was labelled as a psychological thriller. I'd call it a twisted, fucked up movie. And I mean that in a good way. Here's the trailer:



    Watch it!

    The Homesman (2014). A western starring Hilary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones, who also directed. A really good movie... up until the last minute. Did not like that ending. Will still recommend it, tho.

    This was very entertaining!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  22. #3247
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,744
    Watched Cop Land for the first time since it came out over 20 years ago (that's hard to believe). I like some of the performances in it (Keitel, Stallone) but it's a bit of a mess overall. It could have been so much better with a little fine-tuning. I enjoyed it, but I'm probably done with it now.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  23. #3248
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Watched Cop Land for the first time since it came out over 20 years ago (that's hard to believe). I like some of the performances in it (Keitel, Stallone) but it's a bit of a mess overall. It could have been so much better with a little fine-tuning. I enjoyed it, but I'm probably done with it now.
    I remember as that one being pretty good, with Stallone in particular standing out.

  24. #3249
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,341
    It's a good movie
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  25. #3250
    Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    422
    Deadwood The Movie starts tonight!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •