Page 129 of 394 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179229 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,225 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Lee Van Cleef maaaaan
    He goes on the list of great bad men.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The popularity of westerns waned when the space race kicked into high gear. Consequently, science fiction movies got more popular in the late 50s & 60s. Even kids at that time no longer wanted to be cowboys when they grew up. They wanted to be astronauts.

I used to tease my dad that the term "good western" was an oxymoron. But that was because he'd watch anything that was a western. I see the appeal of them but the vast majority of westerns I've seen disappointed me. They also seem to have a tendency to do dumb shit, whether it's a bad decision by a character or just dumb writing. I remember really liking Open Range, with Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner... until the big shootout and Costner managed to fire off 9 or 10 rounds from his six shooter. I also have a serious aversion to arid landscapes and way too many westerns take place in the southwest.

There have been some decent ones made more recently, tho, so if you haven't seen some of these, check them out. I thought the Coen Bros remake of True Grit was really good but since it didn't improve on the original I didn't see the point. I also liked The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The Revenant, Bone Tomahawk, The Hateful Eight, Hell or High Water, and The Ballad of Lefty Brown. About the best thing I've seen in the 21st century is the short "All Gold Canyon" (starring Tom Waits) from the Coen's anthology, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, a movie I wasn't all that thrilled with. The Tom Waits segment, however, is just about worth the price of admission.

And if no one's seen it, check out Godless, too. It was a limited series on Netflix. Both Jeff Daniels & Merrit Wever (Nurse Jackie, The Walking Dead, et al) won Emmys for their roles in it.

An oldie I watched not too long ago was The Cowboys, with John Wayne. Hadn't seen it since it was released in '72. It was as good as I remembered.

And before someone brings it up, no, I haven't gotten around to seeing Deadwood, yet, which I've heard is really good. Now that the TV season is just about over and Game of Thrones is no more, I'll be getting to it soon.
    I agree. Space was sort of the death rattle for the traditional western.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    When the remake came out they bragged that they went to the Charles Portis novel and came up with a completely different movie. Well, the John Wayne movie also used the novel as the source. The movies were not that different from each other. And though I love the Coen Brothers' movies, and Jeff Bridges is one of my favorite actors, John Wayne was Rooster Cogburn.

I saw and enjoyed all these, except The Ballad of Lefty Brown, which is not in my library system, and I haven't spotted it in stores. Another good western I saw recently that I can recommend you is The Sisters Brothers (2018). It is slow paced, as was the real old west, but it is very well done.

I haven't seen The Cowboys in quite some time. I liked that one, especially Bruce Dern as the villain. I watch Wayne's final movie, The Shootist, every chance I get. I have seen the 19th Century homes in Carson City, Nevada, where the story is set and where parts of the movie were filmed. They merely covered the street pavement and curbs with dirt to make it authentic.
    What's interesting about, the Shootist, is, they had just gotten electricity and phones. It was the same with, Death of a Gunfighter, with Richard Widmark. Both great films with an odd element added as far as westerns go.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Has Eastwood done a western in recent years?
    Space Cowboys?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The popularity of westerns waned when the space race kicked into high gear. Consequently, science fiction movies got more popular in the late 50s & 60s. Even kids at that time no longer wanted to be cowboys when they grew up. They wanted to be astronauts.
    The initial fad for science fiction movies started earlier than that - it was the aftermath of the atomic bomb that really kicked off films like Gojira (1954) and The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951). Indeed, Stephen King writes about being in a theater, watching a science fiction film, when the manager interrupted the show to tell the audience about Sputnik.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Don't think he's done one since, Unforgiven.
    That's what I was thinking. That was a hell of a film.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Harryhausen = genius

There have been some decent ones made more recently, tho, so if you haven't seen some of these, check them out. I thought the Coen Bros remake of True Grit was really good but since it didn't improve on the original I didn't see the point.
    Agree.

I also liked The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford,
    Need to watch.

The Revenant,
    Beautiful.

Bone Tomahawk,
    Freakin' amazing. And it was done on such a small budget. And that cast!

The Hateful Eight,
    Overrated dreck.

Hell or High Water,
    Loved it. Modern setting, but it may be the best recent one, along with Bone Tomahawk.

and The Ballad of Lefty Brown.
    Don't know that one.

About the best thing I've seen in the 21st century is the short "All Gold Canyon" (starring Tom Waits) from the Coen's anthology, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, a movie I wasn't all that thrilled with. The Tom Waits segment, however, is just about worth the price of admission.
    Surprised you didn't like it. I thought it was great. That could indeed be the best segment, but the one I liked just as much was "The Gal Who Got Rattled."

And if no one's seen it, check out Godless, too. It was a limited series on Netflix.
    Need to watch.

An oldie I watched not too long ago was The Cowboys, with John Wayne. Hadn't seen it since it was released in '72. It was as good as I remembered.
    "We got boiled apple slices, bacon 'n' biscuits!" "Well, put the bacon on the biscuit and LET'S GO!" Classic. And...Bruce Dern. 'Nuff said.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal...
    Really, all Star Wars was, was a space western. So while the popularity of Westerns waned during the space race, and through today, the Western movie theme lives on in different settings. I'm sure, if I didn't have movie amnesia, I could think of several street crime movies that directly compare to the Western theme, while featuring no cowboys.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Really, all Star Wars was, was a space western. So while the popularity of Westerns waned during the space race, and through today, the Western movie theme lives on in different settings. I'm sure, if I didn't have movie amnesia, I could think of several street crime movies that directly compare to the Western theme, while featuring no cowboys.
    Yeah, I've heard that before. I remember someone referring to Star Wars as "High Noon in space" (it might not have been High Noon, it might have been another western, but you understand my point). I've also heard it referred to as a "Space Opera".

Another good example is Battle Beyond The Stars, which is sometimes referred to as a "Star Wars rip off", but really it's Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven in space. Robert Vaughan even plays essentially the same character he played in The Magnificent Seven.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember someone referring to Star Wars as "High Noon in space" (it might not have been High Noon, it might have been another western, but you understand my point). I've also heard it referred to as a "Space Opera".
    Outland with Sean Connery, directed by Peter Hyams, was "High Noon in space". Quite literally.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Did anyone catch, Hostiles? Wasn't great but not bad. Just watched, Open Range, a few days ago. Still a gritty film. The gunfight at the OK Coral has been done several times but the version I still like is the one with Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster. Tombstone, of course is very good. Val Kilmer steals the thing. Oh, Bend in the River, was on last night. Another great Stewart western.
    We saw "Hostiles" in the theater. It came and went pretty quickly, but I thought it was a well done film and enjoyed it.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I did see Hostiles. I had to look it up to see who was in it, because the title no longer rings a bell. Christian Bale. Good western.

I want to revisit Outland. It's been years since I saw that.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Outland with Sean Connery, directed by Peter Hyams, was "High Noon in space". Quite literally.
    Yeah, that's the one with that line was attached to. I remember hearing that lien even at the time, even before I knew what it was supposed to mean, really.

But I remember a similar line being applied to Star Wars at the time, but I forget which movie "in space" it was supposed to.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hostiles seemed pretty slow to me, well made but didn't grab me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

A great Western from like 10 years ago or so is Seraphim Falls It went under the radar, but was really good! It stars Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan. Similar in storyline to The Revenant Here is the trailer...

I'd definitely recommend it. Those two dudes give great performances.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, that's the one with that line was attached to. I remember hearing that lien even at the time, even before I knew what it was supposed to mean, really.

But I remember a similar line being applied to Star Wars at the time, but I forget which movie "in space" it was supposed to.
    So which movie had the promo line ," In space no one can hear you scream" No fair looking it up.

I always thought Star Wars was more a swashbuckler in space not High Noon. SW is in no way similar to High Noon. That would be the excellent Outland.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Alien?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Alien?
    You are correct sir.

Yeah, it was definitely Alien. It was playing at the theater when I started my first job there as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Surprised you didn't like it. I thought it was great. That could indeed be the best segment, but the one I liked just as much was "The Gal Who Got Rattled."
    I said I wasn't that thrilled with it. Big difference. Overall, I'd give the movie a B–.

The problem with the movie for me was it was kind of a downer; all but one of the shorts, I think, did not have a happy ending. Even "The Gal..." (which I thought was great) didn't. And "Meal Ticket" (the one with Liam Neeson) was just downright depressing.

Really, all Star Wars was, was a space western. So while the popularity of Westerns waned during the space race, and through today, the Western movie theme lives on in different settings.
    Certainly. Altho, someone called it a glorified movie version of a '40s serial.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Really, all Star Wars was, was a space western.
    Ummm ... not really. It was consciously patterned after the Kurosawa/Mifune film The Hidden Fortress, combined with the "feel" of '40s serials.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Yeah, it was definitely Alien. It was playing at the theater when I started my first job there as a kid.

I said I wasn't that thrilled with it. Big difference. Overall, I'd give the movie a B–.

The problem with the movie for me was it was kind of a downer; all but one of the shorts, I think, did not have a happy ending. Even "The Gal..." (which I thought was great) didn't. And "Meal Ticket" (the one with Liam Neeson) was just downright depressing.
    That's why I liked it. It was a series of tonally diverse vignettes with no overarching theme. Unless you count cynicism. The Coens had some trouble finding an outlet for the film due its nontraditional takes on familiar tropes.

The Homesman (2014)

I enjoyed that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    So which movie had the promo line ," In space no one can hear you scream" No fair looking it up.
    Alien. I remember that clearly from it's original release. I also remember the Alien action figure/doll that they put out, which flopped. I saw the commercials on TV, and I'm sure I saw it that year's Sears Xmas catalog (or was it the Montgomery Ward catalog?), but we could never find it at any of the stores around us (probably because it was a big flop). That's what happens when you put out toys based off an R rated movie!

I also remember seeing a parody of the poster for the movie in Starlog. It looked like just the like the original, but in place of the Xenomorph egg was an onion, with the tagline, "In space, nobody can you hear you cry". Naturally, this for something called Onion. I don't know if this was the entirety of the parody, or if this was done to promote some sort of Mad magazine or Hardware Wars style parody, but it always stuck in my mind.
    I always thought Star Wars was more a swashbuckler in space not High Noon. SW is in no way similar to High Noon. That would be the excellent Outland.
    You did read the part where I said I couldn't remember which western it was that was used in the "...in space" quote, right? I never said it was like High Noon. I just said that I remember Star Wars being likened to a western, set in space. I think this was in something I saw on TV, where they were talking about adapting existing stories into a different genre.

I recall someone saying that there's really only 10 different stories in the entire world, and everything else is just a variation on one (or more) of those 10 stories. I thikn that's mentioned on one of the Doctor Who DVD audio commentaries (where they're talking about the mid 70's era when they were lifting a lot of stories off classic horror movies).

I also remember the Alien action figure/doll that they put out, which flopped
    Though there would have been a market for a life size Ripley doll in the tighty whities she wore in the final scene.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart