Page 127 of 397 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137177227 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Well the movie can't change by definition, like all of us your tastes change as you get older.
    Actually ... Well, look at STAR WARS (a/k/a "Episode IV A New Hope"). Movies can and sometimes are changed for rerelease.

But even when that's not true, the subjective movie, what you see rather than the physical film, can and does change. And, sadly, the Suck Fairy can get at our old favorites.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Im pretty sure Nightwaks was Gregory Hines not Billy D Williams.
    Hines was in a movie called White Nights. Maybe that's the one.

Had to look it up. Hines was indeed in White Nights. That had M Baryishnikov . Running Scared did have Billy Crystal. I still cant place / remember Billy D Williams in Nighthawks , was he killed off early? BTW I was OK with Emerson's score.

Had to look it up. Hines was indeed in White Nights. That had M Baryishnikov . Running Scared did have Billy Crystal.
    Also the source of that Lionel Ritchie song Say You SEe Me. I seem to recall Phil Collins and a singer named Marilyn Martin also did a duet in that movie (I actually remember Marilyn Martin more for her song Night Movies, the video of which depicted her as a vampire seducing men in NYC).

Had to look it up. Hines was indeed in White Nights. That had M Baryishnikov . Running Scared did have Billy Crystal. I still cant place / remember Billy D Williams in Nighthawks , was he killed off early? BTW I was OK with Emerson's score.
    As far as I remember Billy Dee William's was Stallones partner in Nighthawks.

Gregory Hines was Billy Crystal's partner in Running Scared.

I remember really liking Nighthawks when it was released. Saw it again in the late '80s or early '90s and I thought it kinda fell flat.

I liked Running Scared, too, but thought it was mostly fluff and maybe a touch forced.

The best buddy movie of the '80s, imo, was either 48 Hours or Midnight Run.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The best buddy movie of the '80s, imo, was either 48 Hours or Midnight Run.
    Maybe not the best, but I really liked Spies Like Us. Aykroyd and Chase were hilarious in that one. ANd I loved that the Russians guarding the missile launcher in the middle of Siberia were jamming to The Bar Kays!

How does everyone fell about the film, Dune? Read any of the books?
    The older I get, the better I was.

I think the Dune the movie was more than fine for the timeframe that it was made in. I can't imagine anyone else doing a better job than Lynch. I've read up to/including God Emperor. I know they are making a remake, and I'm anxious to see it.

Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049) is helming not one, but two Dune movies.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049) is helming not one, but two Dune movies.
    And the casting for those movies is insane (in a good way). I can't wait to see what they do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Maybe not the best, but I really liked Spies Like Us. Aykroyd and Chase were hilarious in that one. ANd I loved that the Russians guarding the missile launcher in the middle of Siberia were jamming to The Bar Kays!
    Yeah i thought it was pretty decent.

Loads of cameos from other directors. And my favorite scene is where they do this huge , impressive set up to firing the missile from the bunker...and then miss.

But second would have to be the exam scene...cant beat a good fart joke.

re Spies Like Us:

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Yeah i thought it was pretty decent.

Loads of cameos from other directors. And my favorite scene is where they do this huge , impressive set up to firing the missile from the bunker...and then miss.
    Holy crap, I just looked that up on Wikipedia, I don't think I knew all the people who are in Spies Like Us: Martin Brest, Michael, Apted, Costa-Gavras, Derek Meddings (!), Ray Harryhausen (!!), Sam Raimi (!!!), Joel Cohen (!!!!), and Larry Cohen (!!!!!). Dammit, I can't believe I never knew that Ray Harryhausen was in that picture! I knew that was Frank "Miss Piggy" Oz playing the exam proctor (he was also in The Blues Brothers and Trading Places), and I knew that BB King was also in there, too, but I didn't know about any of those other guys. And there's a former Playboy Playmate (Heidi Sorenson) in there too!

But talking about that movie, and also Gregory Hines reminds me of another picture he was in, with Chevy Chase: Deal Of The Century. Chase and Hines play arms dealers, with most of the film being set at a trade show...think of it as NAMM or Musik Messe, but for weapons of mass destruction. Hines has a memorable scene where he uses a flame thrower he happens to have in the trunk of his car to set fire to some street punk's car after the punk smashes his headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    How does everyone fell about the film, Dune? Read any of the books?
    I've read most if not all of the Dune universe books, and have loved the original since I first read it back in the late 70s. I didn't have as many problems with the first film as many did, but I went into it knowing that it was not possible to do justice to the novel in a two to three hour time frame. When the SyFy channel did its multi-part series years later I was pleasantly surprised, finding it closer to the spirit of the novels than Lynch's version. I wasn't aware that Villeneuve was making another version, but, with all the emphasis on serial television currently, I would love it if someone would take on the original four novels in something like a four-season, ten episodes per season format. It would obviously be a huge commitment and expense, but I think there is an existing audience and that the story is fascinating enough to gather a new generation of viewers.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I've never read any of the Dune books, or seen either version of the David Lynch picture. But I have seen teh documentary about Alejandro Jodorowsky's attempt to film Dune during the 70's, and I keep wishing he could have gotten that project off the ground. Think about it: a 14 hour sci-fi film, with special effects by Dan O'Bannon, artwork by H.R Giger, and music from Pink Floyd, Magma, and Henry Cow!

I remember someone at work asking me about why anyone would make a documentary about a movie that didn't get made. At the time, before viewing the film, I couldn't really give him an answer, but after watching the film, and seeing how much was lifted from the storyboards, costume/set designs, etc and used in other movies, and the fact that the production brought O'Bannon and Giger together (which led to an obscure little movie you may have heard of called Alien), I could give a more definitive answer. He still seemed to think it was a crazy subject for a documentary, but hey, what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek
    I remember someone at work asking me about why anyone would make a documentary about a movie that didn't get made. At the time, before viewing the film, I couldn't really give him an answer, but after watching the film, and seeing how much was lifted from the storyboards, costume/set designs, etc and used in other movies, and the fact that the production brought O'Bannon and Giger together (which led to an obscure little movie you may have heard of called Alien), I could give a more definitive answer. He still seemed to think it was a crazy subject for a documentary, but hey, what can you do?
    I haven't seen this (though I really want to), but the doc on the Nic Cage Superman film that was never made was also excellent.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I haven't seen this (though I really want to), but the doc on the Nic Cage Superman film that was never made was also excellent.
    Yeah, I saw part of that on TV a couple years ago. That was a good film.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember someone at work asking me about why anyone would make a documentary about a movie that didn't get made.
    Because sometimes that story is incredibly compelling. But I'm referring to a different documentary: Lost in La Mancha, one of the best documentaries ever made.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I think the Dune the movie was more than fine for the timeframe that it was made in. I can't imagine anyone else doing a better job than Lynch. I've read up to/including God Emperor. I know they are making a remake, and I'm anxious to see it.
    I also enjoyed the movie. I had read the first 5 Dune books (I think there were eventually more?), and thought the movie did a decent job with it.

River's Edge ..based off a true story seemed to produce some bizarre characters with dark humour...such as Dennis Hopper. Another film that feels timeless to me is CATCH 22. I have a love for Pirates (1986)....I have yet to run across a movie that captures a real occultism environment. I believe there is a style of acting within horror that connects with naturalism...but either the script is just getting too silly or the actors are annoying. Acting out the role of a keeper or witch is often compromised with a script that would work far better with the additions of improvisation or a new idea to create a "SCENE" that guides you on a path of a dreamscape. A film like this should be mysterious, building up overtime...And after I discovered the first "UNDERWORLD" I favored that over most movies revolving around the supernatural. And although the characters were interesting to see...its the script that lures me in

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly
    I also enjoyed the movie. I had read the first 5 Dune books (I think there were eventually more?), and thought the movie did a decent job with it.
    IIRC, Frank Herbert wrote 6 Dune books before he passed. I read all of those when in my twenties. The series continued on, with books written by Herbert's son, but that was enough for me. Frank Herbert invented a universe with planets, governments, religion, space travel, trade, war, alliances, corruption, intrigue, drought, and mind-altering spice that was a true work of literary art. I believe there were two Dune movies made. I saw them both. If there's a remake, I'll watch that, too.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Because sometimes that story is incredibly compelling. But I'm referring to a different documentary: Lost in La Mancha, one of the best documentaries ever made.

Well, yes, I agree, talking about a movie that never got made, depending on which movie you're talking, can be a very interesting story. Certainly Jodorowsky's Dune is one such tale. But you have people who are so stuck in that normal mainstream kind of thinking, they can't get their heads around the idea. It's like trying to explain music that isn't hugely successful to those people. They can't comprehend why I'd fly to LA to see Magma, or fly to Amsterdam for the Gong Family Unconventional Gathering.

To those sort of people, they can't get their heads around how influential Jodorowsky ended up being, with just that one project, even though it never went anywhere. Like I said, if for nothing else, he brought Dan O'Bannon and HR Giger together, which led directly to Alien. That's a pretty significant matter right there, never mind all the stuff that kinda got appropriated in other films.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    IIRC, Frank Herbert wrote 6 Dune books before he passed. I read all of those when in my twenties. The series continued on, with books written by Herbert's son, but that was enough for me. Frank Herbert invented a universe with planets, governments, religion, space travel, trade, war, alliances, corruption, intrigue, drought, and mind-altering spice that was a true work of literary art. I believe there were two Dune movies made. I saw them both. If there's a remake, I'll watch that, too.
    I agree with all of this. Didn't care much for the remake. Didn't think the acting was very good and the dialogue was odd. It just seemed to polished, if that's the word. Where will the new films pick up? Will they start just after everyone finds out what Paul really is or somewhere else in the story?
    The older I get, the better I was.

The Domestics

Caught this 2018 film on Amazon Prime last night.
    America was crop dusted by poison, wiping out the vast majority of its population. The survivors were either a part of sadistic gangs (Plowboys,Ghosts, Gamblers),
    or decent folk looking to get by. (The Domestics). Kate Bosworth stars as a woman whose marriage is crumbling. She desperately wants to make the 150 mile trek to Milwaukee to be with her family.
    Hubby doesn't want to end the marriage (probably because the wife is hot!)so he agrees to leave their safe community to unite her with her folks. Their harrowing journey is the movie.
    MUCH better than I was expecting. Lots of action,violence, suspense, and a few twists. Liked it a lot!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    The Domestics

Caught this 2018 film on Amazon Prime last night.
    America was crop dusted by poison, wiping out the vast majority of its population. The survivors were either a part of sadistic gangs (Plowboys,Ghosts, Gamblers),
    or decent folk looking to get by. (The Domestics). Kate Bosworth stars as a woman whose marriage is crumbling. She desperately wants to make the 150 mile trek to Milwaukee to be with her family.
    Hubby doesn't want to end the marriage (probably because the wife is hot!)so he agrees to leave their safe community to unite her with her folks. Their harrowing journey is the movie.
    MUCH better than I was expecting. Lots of action,violence, suspense, and a few twists. Liked it a lot!
    Sounds like something I'd like...mostly because it doesn't have a superhero in it Jotting it down. I haven't watched a movie in ages it seems. Been engrossed in hockey playoffs and life ...I'm due.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak