Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Chris, your cousin Jimmy got out at the right time. Collecting is dangerous.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Chris, your cousin Jimmy got out at the right time. Collecting is dangerous.
    I never watched Six Feet Under (wasn't that on HBO?), but that video plays like something that might have been on Dead Like Me, where people regularly died in hilariously bizarre fashion. And the show's mythology had it that all the "accidents" were actually caused by creatures called gravelings. So in the above example, a graveling would appear between the shelves and the wall and it would push the cabinet over so as to cause the alleged accident.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Six Feet Under was simply incredible. The last episode rocked. I found the characters totally absorbing and multi-dimensional. So many classic episodes. The clip is hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Six Feet Under was simply incredible. The last episode rocked. I found the characters totally absorbing and multi-dimensional. So many classic episodes. The clip is hilarious!
    My favourite series of all time. The writing, acting, characters, direction.... just astonishing. The final five minutes are permanently burned into my brain, and in fact those last four episodes were just unbelievably good. Rachel Griffiths and Michael C. Hall turned in two of the best performances I've ever seen.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Six Feet Under is certainly in my top 5 series of all time. No one will ever come up with a better series finale imo.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Six Feet Under is certainly in my top 5 series of all time. No one will ever come up with a better series finale imo.
    Without having actually seen it, I find it hard to believe they topped the legendary Newhart finale, or the slightly less legendary Blake's 7 finale, or the somewhat perplexing St Elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Totally agreed.

Don't comment until you watch the series, Chris.

I loved the Newhart/Pleshette finale, but nah.....
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I watched the Hangover last night with my partner (soon to be wife!). I've seen it bunch of times but it was the first time for Crystal. She enjoyed it. We laughed out loud several times. It is simply comedy gold. Holds up very well. Zak's character was hilarious. Next, Hangover II.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    My favourite series of all time. The writing, acting, characters, direction.... just astonishing. The final five minutes are permanently burned into my brain, and in fact those last four episodes were just unbelievably good. Rachel Griffiths and Michael C. Hall turned in two of the best performances I've ever seen.
    That's impressive for number 1. I actually agree but would add the Sopranos, maybe as a tie.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Flash.
    Nope. The annoying thing was that most of the issue was spent on Superman & Flash getting sidetracked to fight crime and save lives. So, one of them would go off to save a life and the other would get the lead. And then he'd get sidetracked to go stop a crime and the other would catch up and take the lead. And it went back and forth like that the whole issue. They eventually arrived caught up to one another and it turned into a real race but DC wussed out on picking a winner. A bunch of other superheroes were watching on two separate CCTVs. The angle of one showed Superman winning while the other showed Flash winning. The last story block said, "Who won? You decide". So they left it up to the reader, which anyone who's impartial would have to say was a tie. It was pretty anticlimactic; the whole issue was, I thought.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That's impressive for number 1. I actually agree but would add the Sopranos, maybe as a tie.
    Loved The Sopranos, wasn't thrilled with the ending though. The only series for me that has come close to Six Feet Under is Breaking Bad, but even that didn't topple it from "Best" position.

Sorry for the TV sidetracking!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Nope. The annoying thing was that most of the issue was spent on Superman & Flash getting sidetracked to fight crime and save lives. So, one of them would go off to save a life and the other would get the lead. And then he'd get sidetracked to go stop a crime and the other would catch up and take the lead. And it went back and forth like that the whole issue. They eventually arrived caught up to one another and it turned into a real race but DC wussed out on picking a winner. A bunch of other superheroes were watching on two separate CCTVs. The angle of one showed Superman winning while the other showed Flash winning. The last story block said, "Who won? You decide". So they left it up to the reader, which anyone who's impartial would have to say was a tie. It was pretty anticlimactic; the whole issue was, I thought.
    Yes, which is why it was later established that the Flash is indeed faster than Supes.

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019)

Zac Efron plays a convincing Ted Bundy in this Netflix movie.

Rather than focus on the gruesome murders, this film is from the girlfriends perspective, who he lived with during his murder spree.

Worth checking out

The title came from what the judge (played by John Malkovich) said to Ted at sentencing.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I never watched Six Feet Under (wasn't that on HBO?), but that video plays like something that might have been on Dead Like Me, where people regularly died in hilariously bizarre fashion. And the show's mythology had it that all the "accidents" were actually caused by creatures called gravelings. So in the above example, a graveling would appear between the shelves and the wall and it would push the cabinet over so as to cause the alleged accident.
    As others have mentioned "Six Feet Under" was a very good HBO drama, and one of the few that really were able to nail the ending. Every episode began with a death.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As others have mentioned "Six Feet Under" was a very good HBO drama, and one of the few that really were able to nail the ending. Every episode began with a death.
    Yeah, I've missed all those HBO shows, since we haven't had HBO since sometime in the late 90's. So Inever saw Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Game Of Thrones, etc. The only HBO series I really remember is Real Sex.

Cleveland Cinematheque is showing some interesting movies the next couple months. They're showing a bunch of films directed by Robert Alderich, including The Dirty Dozen and The Longest Yard. They're showing It's Alive (because Larry Cohen passed away a couple months ago), Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?, Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, and a bunch of other interesting movies.

They're also showing a 7 hour, Russian made (mid 60's) filmic version of War & Peace, stretched out over four weekends.

Best scene ever inspired by The Dirty Dozen

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If you've seen Infinity War, do you need to see any of the Ant Mans before seeing End Game?
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Ant Man & The Wasp was tons of fun (my 8 year old daughter loves that one) and the ending does lock to Infinity War and Endgame

I'm waiting until the crowds die down to go see Endgame
    Holy shit! You aren't kidding! Just watched Ant Man and The Wasp. What a haymaker out of nowhere at the end. If I hadn't already seen Infinity War, I would have been saying "what the fuck?"
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 05-10-2019 at 12:19 PM. Reason: punctuation

Cleveland Cinematheque is showing some interesting movies the next couple months. They're showing a bunch of films directed by Robert Alderich, including The Dirty Dozen and The Longest Yard. They're showing It's Alive (because Larry Cohen passed away a couple months ago), Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?, Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, and a bunch of other interesting movies.

They're also showing a 7 hour, Russian made (mid 60's) filmic version of War & Peace, stretched out over four weekends.
    It's good that there are still small repertory theatres that show a variety of movies like this. There cant be many of them left.

I have one near me in London UK, the East Dulwich Picturehouse that recently showed Life Of Brian, Wild Bunch and a lot of other old classic stuff. They also do regular children's matinees, and last year even had a screening of Wes Anderson's Isle Of Dogs where people could actually bring their dogs.

Of course they also show the latest movies. And they have great food in there too, and a bar. The kind of place you can hang out before and after the movie and chill out.

Anyone else have a cinema like that nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    It's good that there are still small repertory theatres that show a variety of movies like this. There cant be many of them left.
    I don't know what it's like anywhere else, but around here, I suppose we're lucky. We've got a lot of "movie buff" resources here, I guess. We have the Cleveland Cinematheque, the Case Western Film Society, and there's probably other such outfits in this area. We also have the Cedar Lee Theater (which is within walking distance of my house), which shows a lot of art films, documentaries, etc. They also occasionally do "one night only" showings of "classic" films of all sorts.

And lately, TCM has been sponsoring a lot of those one night only events, where they show something like Gone With The Wind or Casablanca or whatever, in theaters all over the country on the same night.

I don't know what it's like anywhere else, but around here, I suppose we're lucky. We've got a lot of "movie buff" resources here, I guess. We have the Cleveland Cinematheque, the Case Western Film Society, and there's probably other such outfits in this area. We also have the Cedar Lee Theater (which is within walking distance of my house), which shows a lot of art films, documentaries, etc. They also occasionally do "one night only" showings of "classic" films of all sorts.

And lately, TCM has been sponsoring a lot of those one night only events, where they show something like Gone With The Wind or Casablanca or whatever, in theaters all over the country on the same night.
    TCM <Fathom Events, has been theater screening classic movies for years. Ben Hur was a recent offering.

Thieves Like Us Early Robert Altman film with Keith Carradine and a young Shelly Duvall, where criminals escape from prison in the 30s and go on a crime spree. Pretty well made.

Talks to numerous directors and actors about the censorship of their movies before they could be released. Includes directors, Kevin Smith, Matt Stone, John Waters, Darren Aronosfsky, Maria Bello, Atom Egoyan, and Producer Eddie Schmidt. Kirby Dick hires a private investigator, Becky Altringer to find out the names of the MPAA rating board and see if the raters are actually parents of children 5-17 like the MPAA tells American parents they are.