Page 123 of 397 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133173223 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Tried to watch Glass last night. My wife and I both fell asleep during it. Woke up during the end credits. Movie seemed to have no plot. I was well stocked with caffeine, having some iced tea on hand throughout, and the hour was early. Didn't help. If you can have an actor as good as James MacAvoy playing a psycho killer with multiple personalities and it doesn't keep the viewer awake, I count that as a failure for M. Night Shamalama Ding Dong. I can barely remember Split, even though I saw it. I have no memory left of Unbreakable, even though I saw it when new. I wish I could say this was a worthy successor to those two movies, but I stayed awake through those. Not Glass.
    I liked it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Avengers : Endgame - Saw it yesterday. Very, very good with a few reservations.

Spoilers ahead...

[...]

The whole time travel thing was very BTTF2. but lets be honest, most time travel movies make no sense anyway and I think you just need to suspend disbelief and go with the flow. At times it was confusing, and I am not quite sure how Cap managed to go back and have a life in the past without affecting the current timeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    heh... time travel movies... ya just gotta love em. Cap living a normal life would certainly have affected the future timeline!
    The way they explained that in the movie was that changes to the past resulted in alternate or branching realities/timelines. So changing the past would create a splinter universe, but wouldn't affect the "prime" universe that the original Cap came from.

Gotta love time travel movies. None of it really makes sense, but it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    SPOILERS BELOW!!!

heh... time travel movies... ya just gotta love em. Cap living a normal life would certainly have affected the future timeline!

what I cant figure out is how Tony got the stones off the gauntlet in 2 seconds
    The nanotech in his armor did it for him. The same technology that practically grew a McD's drive-thru on his helmet during the big showdown with Thanos in the previous film.

There's always much in the way of power set tweakery in these sorts of films. More so with Marvel's it seems.

In Endgame, Thor can't get the drop on Thanos, with both Stormbreaker and Mjolnir — not to mention Cap and Iron Man there — when the Gauntlet's nowhere near them.

In Infinity War, Thor has Stormbreaker (Mjolnir was destroyed by Hela in Ragnarok), which effortlessly cleaves the energy beam fired from the Gauntlet — and then Thanos gets his torso cleaved with it. Cue finger-snap.

Ant-Man/Scott Lang didn't seem to sustain any physical damage from the initial blast the Sanctuary II nailed the Avengers compound with. Lang is a normal guy, like Stark, who does what he does with advanced technology. He wasn't wearing any kind of armor, either.

Endgame wasn't the movie I was expecting. There was too much comedy in it. The trailers hinted at none of it. I was surprised (more like relieved) to see Rudd play it fairly straight compared to his previous outings.

Hawkeye finally got an arc, and it was a good one. Naturally, Cap was the highlight of the film.

What I couldn't believe was what a nigh-useless overgrown green Muppet they turned Hulk into.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    The nanotech in his armor did it for him. The same technology that practically grew a McD's drive-thru on his helmet during the big showdown with Thanos in the previous film.

There's always much in the way of power set tweakery in these sorts of films. More so with Marvel's it seems.

In Endgame, Thor can't get the drop on Thanos, with both Stormbreaker and Mjolnir — not to mention Cap and Iron Man there — when the Gauntlet's nowhere near them.

In Infinity War, Thor has Stormbreaker (Mjolnir was destroyed by Hela in Ragnarok), which effortlessly cleaves the energy beam fired from the Gauntlet — and then Thanos gets his torso cleaved with it. Cue finger-snap.

Ant-Man/Scott Lang didn't seem to sustain any physical damage from the initial blast the Sanctuary II nailed the Avengers compound with. Lang is a normal guy, like Stark, who does what he does with advanced technology. He wasn't wearing any kind of armor, either.

Endgame wasn't the movie I was expecting. There was too much comedy in it. The trailers hinted at none of it. I was surprised (more like relieved) to see Rudd play it fairly straight compared to his previous outings.

What I couldn't believe was what a nigh-useless overgrown green Muppet they turned Hulk into.
    I'm not surprised by any of this. In fact, I pretty much expected this reaction. Honestly, I think the MCU may just not be for you -- and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The way they explained that in the movie was that changes to the past resulted in alternate or branching realities/timelines. So changing the past would create a splinter universe, but wouldn't affect the "prime" universe that the original Cap came from.

Gotta love time travel movies. None of it really makes sense, but it's fun.
    Also (unless something's amiss), when the Stones are returned to their original time, per the Ancient Tilda (lol), the timelines "fold" back into each other. Or some such nonsense.

I'm not surprised by any of this.
    Don't pretend you disagree with all of it.

Don't pretend you disagree with all of it.
    I think the movie needed humor to offset its somber tone. It was still one of the most serious Marvel films I've ever seen, especially the first act showing everyone dealing with the aftermath of the snap. I had absolutely zero problems with that movie actually. It gave me everything I was wanting, and even things I didn't know I was wanting.

I think the movie needed humor to offset its somber tone. It was still one of the most serious Marvel films I've ever seen, especially the first act showing everyone dealing with the aftermath of the snap. I had absolutely zero problems with that movie actually. It gave me everything I was wanting, and even things I didn't know I was wanting.
    They should've cameo'd a de-aged Cheech & Chong to "offset" Thorbowski and "Prof" Hulkus Dorkus. That would've brought some much-needed levity.

Honestly, I think the MCU may just not be for you -- and that's fine.
    I am so freakin' tired of seeing somebody throw that line at me every time I call out a Marvel movie for its indulgence of bathos.

It's not about humor. It's about humor for the sake of humor. Watch Wonder Woman again. It has humor. Watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It has humor, too. Just not the green-backside, "Do you have a penis?!" kind.

They should've cameo'd a de-aged Cheech & Chong to "offset" Thorbowski and "Prof" Hulkus Dorkus. That would've brought some much-needed levity.
    Didn't you say had "too much comedy" already though? Make up your mind!

!!!Spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen Endgame yet!!!

I loved what they did with Thor. It made perfect sense for someone who felt he had failed spectacularly and then stopped trying at basically anything. His silliness was just a facade, and as soon as Banner/Hulk mentions Thanos when they go to visit him in New Asgard, you can see the facade disappear for a moment. If anything, it made him more relatable. And then at the end when he powers up again, he doesn't magically transform back into a muscular version -- he's still fat and out of shape, but he's able to be a hero anyway. Loved it.

I am so freakin' tired of seeing somebody throw that line at me every time I call out a Marvel movie for its indulgence of bathos.

It's not about humor. It's about humor for the sake of humor. Watch Wonder Woman again. It has humor. Watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It has humor, too. Just not the green-backside, "Do you have a penis?!" kind.
    Your general take on every MCU movie you and I have talked about at least has been a negative one, which is why I've gotten the feeling you just don't like the MCU in general.

It's called sarcasm, ya ninny!

I'm lol'ing at work and I'm supposed to be Winter Solder-serious right now.

It's called sarcasm, ya ninny!

I'm lol'ing at work and I'm supposed to be Winter Solder-serious right now.
    I know, I was just giving it back in return.

Your general take on every MCU movie you and I have talked about at least has been a negative one, which is why I've gotten the feeling you just don't like the MCU in general.
    My issues with the MCU have largely to do with writing and characterization. Cap's the most authentic of the bunch. I'm truly sorry Evans is departing the role. It would be great to get one more solo outing from him as Cap (Evans is still in his thirties). I don't expect everything to be 100% true to the source material, but some of the creative liberties the MCU takes are off-putting. Sorry, it's just me.

However...I knew Strange would figure in the time travel machinations somewhere, because in Infinity when the stone was taken away from him by Thanos, there was a kind of a look and a hint that he had something up his sleeve.
    Strange was witness to the myriad timelines and their outcomes. He holds up his index finger, which Stark sees, to signify that timeline is the one they win in. The concept is bonkers, once you contemplate it: They f-ing lose in every other one.

And as for the girl power moment? Come on...one brief scene in a 3 hour movie...it was a nice moment and not worth getting worked up about.
    I loved that bit. I can look at Scarlet Witch all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I liked Sword Fish. Thought it was really cool.
    Halle Berry's boobs make a guest appearance. Wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Tried to watch Glass last night. My wife and I both fell asleep during it. Woke up during the end credits. Movie seemed to have no plot. I was well stocked with caffeine, having some iced tea on hand throughout, and the hour was early. Didn't help. If you can have an actor as good as James MacAvoy playing a psycho killer with multiple personalities and it doesn't keep the viewer awake, I count that as a failure for M. Night Shamalama Ding Dong. I can barely remember Split, even though I saw it. I have no memory left of Unbreakable, even though I saw it when new. I wish I could say this was a worthy successor to those two movies, but I stayed awake through those. Not Glass.
    I felt the same way. We went to see it in the theater when it came out, and I was underwhelmed. I really liked "Split", but "Glass" did not live up.

yeah... that was not cool by me either
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I can look at Scarlet Witch all day long.
    I was so hoping that she was gonna crack Thanos' skull open the way he did to Vision... it looked like she had him finished there. That part was awesome!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Hawkeye finally got an arc, and it was a good one. Naturally, Cap was the highlight of the film.

Anyone on this board a childhood fan of the 60s/70s comics?

These MU movies capture that era perfectly.

When your a kid, all that detailed stuff goes over your head , it doesn't matter, just fantasy.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Anyone on this board a childhood fan of the 60s/70s comics?

These MU movies capture that era perfectly.

When your a kid, all that detailed stuff goes over your head , it doesn't matter, just fantasy.
    I'm a fan of the old comic books which is why I've never really cared for these films. I think the only one I really liked was the first Batman and maybe the second Superman film. Could this be like the vinyl vs. digital thing? There was more fantasy in those books. Now I'm CGI'ed to death.
    Last edited by Staun; 05-07-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I'm a fan of the old comic books which is why I've never really cared for these films. I think the only one I really liked was the first Batman and maybe the second Superman film. Could this be like the vinyl vs. digital thing? There was more fantasy in those books. Now I'm CGI'ed to death.
    Did you read Marvel comics?

Did you read Marvel comics?
    Read Marvel and DC. Loved Marvel because for one reason, their illustrations were so much better. Great drawings. Big FF4 fan. Even got into some of the independents.

Read Marvel and DC. Loved Marvel because for one reason, their illustrations were so much better. Great drawings. Big FF4 fan. Even got into some of the independents.
    I'm surprised the movies or at least some of the movies didn't resonate.

I'm surprised the movies or at least some of the movies didn't resonate.
    I'm a classic movie fan but I've heard so much about Endgame, I think I'll go this weekend.