Page 122 of 394 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172222 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Vic, as long as you're wearing pants. That's the important part.

'Round these parts, where we got plenty of ranches, the kind of city slickers who wear cowboy boots, jeans, and hats are still referred to as "drugstore cowboys". I've never been fond of cowboys, real or faux cuz their taste in music (and other media) pretty much sucks. Believe me, I've spent enough time around them to know. But I will never tire of photos of young ladies wearing leather chaps.

A friend of mine and his husband often wear leather chaps when going to bars but that's a whole 'nother thing.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Bronco Billy came out in 1980. Possibly part of the C&W thing.
    Could be. And Jerjo just reminded me of something...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    But I will never tire of photos of young ladies wearing leather chaps.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Vic, as long as you're wearing pants. That's the important part. .

I figgered someone would point that out. Yeah, I'm naked, with boots, and a hat.

Seriously (if that's possible), I'm not a cowboy, I just like the boots, the jeans, and the shirts. I like truckers caps though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    If you don't mind slogging through 198 pages... http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...k-about-movies
    Thanks. It was only 198 pages. I thought it was over 300. Im sure theres plenty of good ideas in there.

BTW, talking about country and western music "seeping into pop culture" in the late 70's/very early 80's, I think you could see that from all the damn variety shows there were with a country theme. Off the top of my head, you had:

Hee Haw
    That Nashville Music
    The Porter Wagoner Show
    Pop Goes The Country
    The Barbara Mandrell Show

There might have been a couple others, too. I actually remember most of those shows from when they actually aired, and most of them air on the RFD Channel (which bills itself as "Rural America's most important television network", whatever that entails). I tune in sometimes and find some of it enjoyable. But a lot of it is that sort of fake country music that was starting to take hold then and has grown in the popularity over the decades. Yick!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I like truckers caps though.
    So long as you wear them with the bill in front. I can't stand wearing those damn things, because the bill drives me up the wall, sticking into my vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post

I figgered someone would point that out. Yeah, I'm naked, with boots, and a hat.

Seriously (if that's possible), I'm not a cowboy, I just like the boots, the jeans, and the shirts. I like truckers caps though.
    Admit it. Burt Reynolds was your hero.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Tried to watch Glass last night. My wife and I both fell asleep during it. Woke up during the end credits. Movie seemed to have no plot. I was well stocked with caffeine, having some iced tea on hand throughout, and the hour was early. Didn't help. If you can have an actor as good as James MacAvoy playing a psycho killer with multiple personalities and it doesn't keep the viewer awake, I count that as a failure for M. Night Shamalama Ding Dong. I can barely remember Split, even though I saw it. I have no memory left of Unbreakable, even though I saw it when new. I wish I could say this was a worthy successor to those two movies, but I stayed awake through those. Not Glass.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    BTW, talking about country and western music "seeping into pop culture" in the late 70's/very early 80's, I think you could see that from all the damn variety shows there were with a country theme. Off the top of my head, you had:

Hee Haw
    That Nashville Music
    The Porter Wagoner Show
    Pop Goes The Country
    The Barbara Mandrell Show

There might have been a couple others, too. I actually remember most of those shows from when they actually aired, and most of them air on the RFD Channel (which bills itself as "Rural America's most important television network", whatever that entails). I tune in sometimes and find some of it enjoyable. But a lot of it is that sort of fake country music that was starting to take hold then and has grown in the popularity over the decades. Yick!
    Dolly Parton was also part of that. Music, tv, and film.

Rolling Thunder--I remember when I first saw that movie long ago on HBO or one of the premium pay channels, it seems gritty and violent, and still does to some degree. Early Tommy Lee Jones.

I could have written that post word for word, even down to working at a theater at the time.

I think this movie is indicative of the popularity of C&W and/or Southern culture seeping into the mainstream in the US. I don't know what started it all, but Southern rock was very popular at the time, as were some C&W artists/bands like Charlie Daniels and Willie Nelson, who appeared in The Electric Horseman (which I've always enjoyed), released in '79, and starred in Honeysuckle Rose, released a month after Urban Cowboy. I can even remember hearing "Uneasy Rider" on radio stations that normally played R&R and, of course, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" was a huge hit. Most of my friends at the time were into Judas Priest, AC/DC, Van Halen, and Black Sabbath and even they liked some of that stuff.

I also remember at the time that Northerners were even buying cowboy hats. What was really interesting about it was that they also adorned them with feathers that hung on a string from the back. Astute observers, however, noticed that the part that attached to the hat was actually a roach clip.

Funny thing to me is I've always hated C&W music but for some reason, Urban Cowboy and The Electric Horseman get a pass from me.

Well, it did take place in the Houston area, so what do you expect? And, as I mentioned, Willie Nelson and Charlie Daniels and some other acts enjoyed crossover popularity and most of them wore cowboy hats, too. It was the zeitgeist.
    I also have fond memories of Electric Horseman...played at the same theatre I worked at. A decent movie, though a little gimmicky.

I remember Bronco Billy too...there were definitely a spate of C&W flavoured movies around that time.

I liked the elegiac quality of Bronco Billy, very much a sense of the passing of time, the travelling sideshow westerns becoming a thing of the past etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The thing I find amusing about the whole Urban Cowboy deal is, that's how "country" music fans actually dress. When I was in the Navy (!!!), in the early 90's, and stationed in San Diego, every Friday and Saturday night, you'd see all these goofballs dressed like extras from that movie, with the cowboy hats, the denim shirts, the stupid boots, etc. It looked incredibly hilarious to me. Then again, I guess the way metal fans in their studs and leather splendor looks just as silly.
    I was stationed in Coronado same time frame. What was the name of that one country bar?
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Another 48 hours. Decent enough film. Although the dynamic between Nolte and Murphy isn't as strong as the first. Not quite a classic, but worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by summers View Post
    Another 48 hours. Decent enough film. Although the dynamic between Nolte and Murphy isn't as strong as the first. Not quite a classic, but worth a watch.
    I still think it holds up very well as a thriller. I think the scene where Nolte helps the two cops case the hotel near the beginning is stunning.

But I guess Murphys schtick was fairly new and fresh back then...you can grow tired of it.

I am not sure if he was already on SNL back then, but certainly here in the UK we had not yet seen him.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Rolling Thunder--I remember when I first saw that movie long ago on HBO or one of the premium pay channels, it seems gritty and violent, and still does to some degree. Early Tommy Lee Jones.
    Good one!

"let's go clean em up"
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I still think it holds up very well as a thriller. I think the scene where Nolte helps the two cops case the hotel near the beginning is stunning.

But I guess Murphys schtick was fairly new and fresh back then...you can grow tired of it.

I am not sure if he was already on SNL back then, but certainly here in the UK we had not yet seen him.
    SNL predates all Murphy movies AFAIK. I think his first was Trading Places.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    pretty sure this is correct. SNL made him famous
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Dolly Parton was also part of that. Music, tv, and film.
    Yeah, she had her own variety show, didn't she?

She was great in 9 To 5. I love her fantasy sequence, where she imagines herself as a cowgirl hogtying Dabney Coleman, then roasting him over an open pit. She also has one of the best lines in the movie, wehre she tells him she intends to "turn you from a rooster into a hen in one shot, and don't think I can't do it", if he keeps trying to get busy with her.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    48 Hours came first. I'm sure I've seen 48 Hours, but about the only thing I remember is the bit where he's in the jail cell, singing Roxanne, with the Walkman headphones on. That and the fact that some band called The Bus Boys had a song in the film called The Boys Are Back In Town (which only stands out in my mind, because I remember an episode of Rock N Roll Jeopardy, where someone buzzed in with the wrong response over a clue concerning the Thin Lizzy song).

Trading Places is a great movie. We've talked about it before, but it's one of my favorites.

Avengers : Endgame - Saw it yesterday. Very, very good with a few reservations.

Spoilers ahead...

It was a bit slow to start, very low key at the beginning but I guess for an epic ending there needed to be time for people to grieve, gather their thoughts and re group.

Also some characters got short shrift, such as Drax, Quill, and especially Groot from Guardians, also Black Panther and Dr Strange. I kind of felt they had to be given a few scenes just to put them on the poster, but had little to do.

However...I knew Strange would figure in the time travel machinations somewhere, because in Infinity when the stone was taken away from him by Thanos, there was a kind of a look and a hint that he had something up his sleeve.

The whole time travel thing was very BTTF2. but lets be honest, most time travel movies make no sense anyway and I think you just need to suspend disbelief and go with the flow. At times it was confusing, and I am not quite sure how Cap managed to go back and have a life in the past without affecting the current timeline.

But apart from that, the main characters got some great storylines and character arcs, especially Iron Man, Thor and Cap. I loved the references to Thor and The Big Lebowski...I was thinking that before Stark even started taking the mickey out of him.

And it was very funny in places.

And did anyone else think the final battle resembled the one in Ready Player One?

Finally, I saw that some people on other sites had an issue with Captain Marvel for various reasons...I thought she was OK here. I kind of always knew even from the teaser at the end of Infinity War that she would be very instrumental in saving the day. And as for the girl power moment? Come on...one brief scene in a 3 hour movie...it was a nice moment and not worth getting worked up about.

Definitely a movie to watch again because there was an awful lot going on.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Watched Ant Man last night. Fun, entertaining movie. Loved the Tales to Astonish reference early on. My complaint is my usual one when I have a complaint: It doesn't hew close enough to the character created in the 60s. A lot of things in this flick depart from the original, and it looks like The Wasp and possibly Yellow Jacket do as well. Needless to say, you have to have read the comics back then to give a boink about any of that.

I'm not really a Travolta fan but my favorite movie of his is Get Shorty. A close second would be Urban Cowboy.
    I liked Sword Fish. Thought it was really cool.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I liked Sword Fish. Thought it was really cool.
    I thought Swordfish was alright. Travolta & Cheadle were two of the best things about it, from what I remember. Jackman's hacking scene was over the top. The best thing about it was Halle Berry's breasts.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Avengers : Endgame - Saw it yesterday. Very, very good with a few reservations.

Spoilers ahead...

lets be honest, most time travel movies make no sense anyway and I think you just need to suspend disbelief and go with the flow. At times it was confusing, and I am not quite sure how Cap managed to go back and have a life in the past without affecting the current timeline.
    Definitely a movie to watch again because there was an awful lot going on.
    heh... time travel movies... ya just gotta love em. Cap living a normal life would certainly have affected the future timeline!

what I cant figure out is how Tony got the stones off the gauntlet in 2 seconds
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I thought Swordfish was alright. Travolta & Cheadle were two of the best things about it, from what I remember. Jackman's hacking scene was over the top. The best thing about it was Halle Berry's breasts.
    Yeah, I was going to mention her reading habits.
    The older I get, the better I was.