Page 120 of 397 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170220 ... LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Once again, "Ruffalo even asked Waititi…"
    I knew you had already mentioned Waititi. I was just saying that if Ruffalo was improvising in that movie, it was the because of the director. Hence, blame Waititi if you don’t like improv Hulk.

Well, I loved Ragnarok so I guess I'm fine with what Waititi and Ruffalo were doing. And those Jack Kirby inspired visuals didn't hurt.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Well, I loved Ragnarok so I guess I'm fine with what Waititi and Ruffalo were doing. And those Jack Kirby inspired visuals didn't hurt.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I watched Good Will Hunting last night. Amazing that Damon and Affleck we so young to write a compelling and mature plot. Robin William's role was excellent. The story still holds well together.

Same here.

Visually, the film's on point. The opening scene is spectacular. Mothersbaugh's score? Also cool.

Waiting for something else to start on TV the other night, I decided to watch the first 15 minutes or so of Up in Smoke, a movie I hadn't seen in 35+ years. Ended up watching the whole thing! Much of it held up reasonably well.

One thing I wanted to mention, tho, was something from the scene near the end of the movie, when Cheech & Chong enter the battle of the bands contest. When Chong, wasted on ludes, fell over and knocked over his drum set, some of the audience members started booing. If I didn't know better, I'd say one of those guys booing was Steve Howe.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Waiting for something else to start on TV the other night, I decided to watch the first 15 minutes or so of Up in Smoke, a movie I hadn't seen in 35+ years. Ended up watching the whole thing! Much of it held up reasonably well.

One thing I wanted to mention, tho, was something from the scene near the end of the movie, when Cheech & Chong enter the battle of the bands contest. When Chong, wasted on ludes, fell over and knocked over his drum set, some of the audience members started booing. If I didn't know better, I'd say one of those guys booing was Steve Howe.
    Up In Smoke is one of my favorite movies. You can't bail after the first 15 minutes! 35+ years? Way too long.

That wasn't Steve Howe in the audience. If he was there, we'd know!

Now you have to watch Next Movie.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

One thing I wanted to mention, tho, was something from the scene near the end of the movie, when Cheech & Chong enter the battle of the bands contest. When Chong, wasted on ludes, fell and knocked over his drum set, some of the audience members started booing. If I didn't know better, I'd say one of those guys booing was Steve Howe.
    It's instantly funny. I like at the start when Chong is sort of dancing by his car, classic humour. I think the movie would have still been funny regardless of the pot focus. I own it on DVD and like to enjoy it when I'm enhanced too!

I saw Cheech & Chong in concert last August. A damned good time. They've still got it. They did all the classic skits (and they updated them) and some new ones. They also performed some songs, including "Earache My Eye." And yes, Cheech came out in the tutu!

I think my favorite Cheech And Chong movie is Things Are Tough All Over. The laundromat scene is hysterical.
    Mike Judge basically lifted that scene for an episode of Beavis And Butthead, the one where Anderson pays them to wash his poodle.

Brit version of Night and the City

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I think my favorite Cheech And Chong movie is Things Are Tough All Over. The laundromat scene is hysterical.
    Mike Judge basically lifted that scene for an episode of Beavis And Butthead, the one where Anderson pays them to wash his poodle.
    Is that the one with the hair piece aka herpes?

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Brit version of Night and the City

He certainly held his own with John Wayne and the great Laurence Harvey in, The Alamo.
    The older I get, the better I was.

RIP Peter Mayhew, aged 74.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I don't remember that bit. What I remember is Cheech putting all his clothes in the dryer, including what he was wearing, so all he's got is under clothes. A woman accuses him of being a pervert and runs to get a cop. So Cheech hides by hopping in the dryer. Chong comes back from getting change, and is paying attention to this lady and cop as he puts money in the dryer, completely oblivous that Cheech is in there. So the dryer starts and of course Cheech is freaking out. There's this great POV shot, that continuously rotates 360 degrees, of Chong sitting down and reading a magazine, directly in front of the dryer, still unaware that Cheech is inside.

Finally the machine stops, and Cheech climbs out, completely dazed by the experience. Chong looks up, having not seen Cheech climb out of the dryer. "Hey man, where you been? You missed all the excitement! There was a rapist in here, but I guess the cop scared him off". Cheech just stands there, but only just barely, remember he's spent the last however minutes it's been spinning around. Chong finally notices something's not right with Cheech. "Hey man, are you alright? Hey, you're stoned, aren't ya?! And I bet you never even saved any for me, did ya?!"

There's also where their very incompetent band (with CHong playing an out of tune guitar) play to a nearly empty room at this club owned by their bossees (who are supposed to be Turkish or something). There's a gag with Chong eating kiel basa (or however that's spelled) causing him to have severe gas, which according to Cheech, scares off these two girls who don't speak English they were trying to get with.

I thikn that's the one that's got them traveling cross country in a car that has pot hidden in the seats, but they dont' know it, or something like that.

Nice Dreams was pretty good, with Stacey Keach returning as Sgt. Stedenko, who somehow gets hopped up on this really powerful pot that C&C have, which causes you turn into a lizard.

BTW, did you know there really was a Sgt. Abraham Stedenko? Chong says he was this cop up in Vancouver who used to harass the hippies when they were living there. Chong said "I gotta make this guy famous", so he appropriated the cop's name.

RIP Peter Mayhew, aged 74.
    Bummer! Ya know, when I was a kid, I read Starlog magazine, and as such ended up reading interviews with nearly all the actors who played the iconic "masked" characters, if you will, i.e. Boba Fett, Darth Vader, C-3PO, Chewbacca, and R2-D2.

About 10 or so years ago, there as this game show on, I forget what it was called, but it was hosted by Penn Jilette. The premise was that a contestant was faced with a group of people, along with a list of things. The list would be things like:

"Married Britney Spears"
    "Born in Japan"
    "Played Chewbacca"
    etc

and the contestant would have match each item on the list to one of the people in front of them. And wouldn't you know it, the moment, I saw Peter Mayhew, I recognized him immediately. I was ready to throw stuff at the TV if this lady had missed that one. Thankfully, she didn't. I recall at first, Mayhew was sitting, but Penn Jillette says "Could you please stand", and he did, revealing his full 7 foot height, towering over everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Affirmative. Those two characterizations — "Prince Habib" and "Mr. Slyman" — are likely the reasons that particular C&C movie doesn't turn up on any of the cable networks.

TATAO also introduced Dave Coulier in a hilarious cameo as "Man with tongue in restaurant."

Affirmative. Those two characterizations — "Prince Habib" and "Mr. Slyman" — are likely the reasons that particular C&C movie doesn't turn up on any of the cable networks.
    That must be a recent development, as I recall seeing Things Are Tough All Over as recently as about 10 or 15 years ago.

That must be a recent development, as I recall seeing Things Are Tough All Over as recently as about 10 or 15 years ago.
    Which network? IFC plays the other three. Haven't seen TATAO on TV/cable since forever.

Mrs. Miniver-- (1942) William Wyler directs, a Hollywood-ized version of how Brits fared during the early beginnings WWII, which was a call to arms for the Yanks. It was a bit too sentimental or melodramatic for my taste at time, however, it did have some powerful scenes. Overall it's worth a watch.

re: Things Are Tough All Over

Which network? IFC plays the other three. Haven't seen TATAO on TV/cable since forever.
    Oh, I don't remember. It might have been one of the Showtime channels, or Encore. I don't remember. Maybe it was IFC or Sundance. But like I said, I'm talking at least 10 years ago. I suppose for some people that could constitute "forever".

re: Things Are Tough All Over

Oh, I don't remember. It might have been one of the Showtime channels, or Encore. I don't remember. Maybe it was IFC or Sundance. But like I said, I'm talking at least 10 years ago. I suppose for some people that could constitute "forever".
    Has to be longer than that. Up In Smoke, Next Movie and N'ice Dreams — and less frequently, Still Smokin' — have all enjoyed regular or semi rotation on pay channels for decades. Not TATAO. I even looked through OnDemand's menu and it's not in there.

Has to be longer than that. Up In Smoke, Next Movie and N'ice Dreams — and less frequently, Still Smokin' — have all enjoyed regular or semi rotation on pay channels for decades. Not TATAO. I even looked through OnDemand's menu and it's not in there.
    What about The Corsican Brothers?

Or, to a lesser extent, Yellowbeard? Which is not a proper C 'n C movie of course.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    What about The Corsican Brothers?

Or, to a lesser extent, Yellowbeard? Which is not a proper C 'n C movie of course.
    The Corsican Brothers popped up not too terribly long ago.

Yellowbeard...never, ever seen that on a pay service. Wasn't there a bit of controversy with that one, too?

I saw Get Out of My Room on one of the Epix channels in '17 or '18.