Page 118 of 397 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168218 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 9904

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

The Graduate I saw this with my brother back in the day. I don't think I had my license to drive us, I guess my mom thought it was a good wholesome picture with a title like that, ha. It's not lewd or anything just has some fairly adult scenes at times. Still a great movie though and I was into Simon & Garfunkel, which I still enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    And Twice Upon A Time. This film is so unique looking with great voice talent. And a phenomenal nightmare sequence. Parts of it look like a Saul Steinberg comic come to life.
    Wow, I haven't seen Twice Upon a Time in like fifteen years or more probably. I remember really liking its unusual visual style and the humorous tone. Such a strange movie too. Ralph the All-Purpose Animal.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The Graduate I saw this with my brother back in the day. I don't think I had my license to drive us, I guess my mom thought it was a good wholesome picture with a title like that, ha. It's not lewd or anything just has some fairly adult scenes at times. Still a great movie though and I was into Simon & Garfunkel, which I still enjoy.
    I've never seen that film. But I've heard the Simon & Garfunkel songs from it. Jeezuz luvs you more than you would know.....wo...wo.....wo....

Ross was super hot.

I think I probably saw this about 20 or 30 years ago, but don't remember much about it, except for the famous "You're trying to seduce me" scene, and the business with him in the scuba gear and the swimming pool and everything (what was that supposed to about, anyway?).

I saw an anniversary show Siskel & Ebert did back in the 90's, I think, must have been for the 20th anniversary of doing their show together. They did this in front of an audience, at one point, they did a Q&A thing. One of the audience members asked if there was any reviews they wish they could take back. I can't remember if it was Gene or Roger, but one of them said he wouldn't necessarily take back a review as such, but he wished he could take back what he said about the Simon & Garfunkel songs in The Graduate were "forgettable".

The Graduate
    I just want to say one word to you. Are you listening?

Plastics.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The Graduate is an excellent movie. Mike Nichols' best, imo.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

the business with him in the scuba gear and the swimming pool and everything (what was that supposed to about, anyway?.

More than anything The Graduate is about growing up and getting out from under one's parent's control, being free. I think a lot of college grads or just anyone really that has been out on their own and returns to home feels this. The scene is set up with Ben’s parents annoying him about showing off this new scuba suit for his twenty-first birthday. You can hear Ben in the back quietly refusing, but his father keeps on persisting. This sets up the mood for the scene, and shows that although Ben may be an adult now, he still falls helpless to his parents. This happens a lot in the movie when it comes to his future and him asking Elaine on a date. Also I think there's some humor going on within that scene as well.

More than anything The Graduate is about growing up and getting out from under one's parent's control, being free. I think a lot of college grads or just anyone really that has been out on their own and returns to home feels this. The scene is set up with Ben’s parents annoying him about showing off this new scuba suit for his twenty-first birthday. You can hear Ben in the back quietly refusing, but his father keeps on persisting.
    Ah, ok. Now I get it. I just remember the POV shot of him trying to get out of the pool, and his father pushes him back into the water.

Watched Bullitt yesterday. In fact, I stayed up past my bedtime so I could finish it. Good movie. Classic car chase scene.

Watching a really freaked out sci-fi horror film called From Beyond. With Jeffrey Combs, Weyoun from Deep Space Nine. Freaky.

^ I could be wrong, but I think that's based on an HP Lovecraft story. I think I have the DVD.

Finally got around to seeing Solo: A Star Wars Story. I liked it. I thought it was fun. But I also liked The Force Awakens and didn't care for Rogue One or The Last Jedi, so what do I know?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I could be wrong, but I think that's based on an HP Lovecraft story. I think I have the DVD.
    Yeah you're right. It is a Lovecraft story. It's creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching a really freaked out sci-fi horror film called From Beyond. With Jeffrey Combs, Weyoun from Deep Space Nine. Freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Jeffrey Combs holds the record for playing the most number of roles in the Trek-verse. On Deep Space Nine, he also played Liquidator Brunt, and on Enterprise, he was Shran, the Andorian captain who was fond of referring to Captain Archer as "Pink Skin". He had something like six other roles through the course of DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise.

If you liked From Beyond, you should also check out Re-Animator, that was a pretty intense picture too, and also derived from the writing of H.P. Lovecraft. In fact, he's done several Lovecraft adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I want to floss my teeth with her thong.....

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ I think that The Last Crusade is actually the weakest of the three; it felt a lot like a rehash of the first one.

Temple of Doom wasn't as good as Raiders either, but it also took Indy in a very different direction and was a different style of movie. Within the last 10 years or so, I've come to appreciate it a lot more.
    Temple of Doom, for me, is almost as bad as Crystal Skull. Kate Capshaw is so annoying in that one.

We watched Glass last night. I've read mixed reviews, with most giving it less-than-stellar ratings, but I thought it was pretty good. James McAvoy is amazing in that role.

I had pretty much written M. Night Shyamalan off, but he's impressed me again with Split and Glass. I hope he can continue to make better films. I imagine his next will be completely different.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Temple of Doom, for me, is almost as bad as Crystal Skull. Kate Capshaw is so annoying in that one.
    I agree all the screaming and whatnot. It was also a bit too long, but still enjoyed it on some level. I think I like 1 & 3 the best.

The Basketball Diaries--the story of Jim Carroll (poet, and musician) growing up in NYC, playing basketball and eventually becoming hooked on heroin. One of DiCaprio's earlier and better films.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched The Nun last night. It was tolerable, but not nearly as good as Conjuring or Conjuring 2, to which it is related. We didn't watch it for Easter, but only because it is due at the library today. You could find a scarier movie and skip this one at no loss.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The Basketball Diaries--the story of Jim Carroll (poet, and musician) growing up in NYC, playing basketball and eventually becoming hooked on heroin. One of DiCaprio's earlier and better films.
    I saw that one probably about 10 years ago. I wasn't that impressed. I mean, I guess the story is compelling, an ace high school basketball player turned junkie/male prostitute. Really, the most interesting thing about this movie is all the assholes who've tried suing the producers because it supposedly inspired this or that high school shooting. The frell is wrong with these people?!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You're right, it was based on a Lovecraft story of the same name. Although the movie was radically different from the story in a lot of ways, the core premise of the machine that lets the protagonists see into other dimensions -- and also allows the creatures in those dimensions to see them in return -- was pretty much the same. It was a creepy short story for sure.

Granted, I never saw the movie. I just read about it on the Internet.

I don't know about the movie but I'll watch that gif a few dozen more times
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Granted, I never saw the movie. I just read about it on the Internet.
    So watch it already!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    So watch it already!
    I’m too scared.

Back in 2001 I saw an ad on the SyFy channel for it, and just those glimpses of the creature effects thoroughly freaked me out. It looked great!

North By Northwest Alfred Hitchcock classic with Cary Grant getting mistaken as a spy. It has the classic ending at Mount Rushmore. Supposedly Herrmann created three distinct melodies in the soundtrack to go along with the film--something sort of romantic for those interludes, one more action-y, and another for the tension at the end.