Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes, outstanding scene! I get jeered at for this sometimes, but I've often said this film was Lemmon's best ever performance. It's like the role was created for him.
    That's weird. He was a fine dramatic actor. I don't see anyone having a problem with Hanks having some comedies to his credit.

Well, one friend in particular claims that in that particular film (Glengarry), Lemmon is the one guy that he "sees" acting. I completely disagree, I found his performance utterly enthralling and heartbreaking.

I should add that if there was someone I "see" acting in that film, it's Ed Harris. I like him as an actor, but he's perhaps a tad over the top on occasion in Glengarry.
    Last edited by Progatron; 04-16-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I watched Denzel's first version of the Equalizer tonight with my soon to be wife. She doesn't really like violence and was a bit stunned by the opening scenes but eventually truly enjoyed the film. I don't think it would have been so good without Denzel. Nothing new here but still a compelling story of the vigilante fighting evil. I liked it for the second time.

when it comes to gratuitous violence as the selling point in a movie, I boycott that brainless stuff

but Denzel made a violent movie that I actually like. Perhaps because I have a young daughter... Man On Fire is the one violent movie of the dozens I've seen that actually engages me on a deeper than superficial level.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    That's weird. He was a fine dramatic actor. I don't see anyone having a problem with Hanks having some comedies to his credit.
    It irks me that some people can only see Lemmon as a comedy actor.

Some people have an issue with people like Lemmon, Hanks Carrey etc when they do serious roles, somehow their brains just wont accept it.

An actor is an actor...you train and study to be an actor, you dont train to be a comedy actor. You train to be able to act in multiple roles, characters and genres.

What happens next, the roles you take on, the genre you work in and the success you have with your first few movies should not define you for the rest of your career

Even actors like Carrey and Robin William's who started out as stand up comedians have gone through the same acting training at some point in their career. And it makes perfect sense because they can broaden their range and take on different types of roles.

I always think with stand up you are kind of half way there.. you are up on stage, you are used to having an audience, you may introduce characters to your act, maybe do impressions etc.

Nothing worse that hearing someone say something like "Carrey should stick to comedy because that's what he is know for...he will always be Ace Ventura for me".

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    when it comes to gratuitous violence as the selling point in a movie, I boycott that brainless stuff
    The Equalizer does have a story. I have no problem with violence if it's integral to the plot. In this case, Denzel is a former commando who comes out of retirement and puts his special skills to work to rescue a girl (ChloŽ Grace Moretz) who is under the control of ruthless Russian mobsters. What do you expect from a vigilante? - he's fighting evil and that central to the story. You route for the hero, it's just a movie, nobody really believes Denzel can really perform with his skills to that extent - fighting off multiple villains. I just go with the flow and enjoyed the story - despite plenty of suspending disbelief.

The Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Movie?

Good comedy actors tend to make good dramatic actors IMO. It may not be the case with 100% of them, but the big names we are talking about here (Lemmon, Carrey, Williams, etc.) have all put in shining dramatic performances. And guys like Hugh Laurie, Rowan Atkinson, Michael Palin - same thing. Even SNL's Bill Hader, who is a very funny guy known for impressions and silly characters, has done an excellent job with his Barry show as well as the film The Skeleton Twins.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Wow! I never would have guessed that...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

but Denzel made a violent movie that I actually like. Perhaps because I have a young daughter... Man On Fire is the one violent movie of the dozens I've seen that actually engages me on a deeper than superficial level.
    Watch Sicario. Two words: Denis Villeneuve.

Sphere--from a Michael Crichton SF yarn where a group goes in the ocean to explore a spaceship and an odd sphere. I think it got pretty mixed reviews, but I enjoyed it.

8MM--Nick Cage's character is a detective hired to find out if a snuff film is real or not, and find the whereabouts of a young teenager. He travels the sex industry of LA and back to NYC. I think this got mixed reviews too, but I enjoyed it and was intense in areas.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Sphere--from a Michael Crichton SF yarn where a group goes in the ocean to explore a spaceship and an odd sphere. I think it got pretty mixed reviews, but I enjoyed it.

8MM--Nick Cage's character is a detective hired to find out if a snuff film is real or not, and find the whereabouts of a young teenager. He travels the sex industry of LA and back to NYC. I think this got mixed reviews too, but I enjoyed it and was intense in areas.
    I really enjoyed Sphere as well. The idea and visuals were pretty good.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Watched, Raiders of the Lost Ark, last night. For me, that thing still holds up. Cinematography, the acting, all of it was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I caught the end of this a couple weeks ago, after seeing it years ago. It was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I really enjoyed Sphere as well. The idea and visuals were pretty good.
    Agreed.

Watched, Raiders of the Lost Ark, last night. For me, that thing still holds up. Cinematography, the acting, all of it was fantastic.
    It's a little "of its time" now, but it's still great.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

I caught the end of this a couple weeks ago, after seeing it years ago. It was fun.

Agreed.

It's a little "of its time" now, but it's still great.
    Scott, when you say "of it's time", I understand what your saying but the fact that it's time period was about 35 years prior to when we first saw it, keeps this aspect intact for me.

Scott, when you say "of it's time", I understand what your saying but the fact that it's time period was about 35 years prior to when we first saw it, keeps this aspect intact for me.
    Yeah, you're probably right on that. I saw part of it relatively recently, and it came across as somewhat of an 80s movie, but since it's really a period film, it doesn't really detract like you would normally expect.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Still the best one. Blows away all the sequels.

With out a doubt. That film had so much energy, you wonder what happened with the others.

Of all the Pink Panther films, I would have to think that, A Shot in the Dark, has to be the best. Peter Sellers was raging. 1964.

The best one for sure, though I still enjoy the others.

Of all the Pink Panther films, I would have to think that, A Shot in the Dark, has to be the best. Peter Sellers was raging. 1964.
    Yeah, that's a great picture. Definitely some great moments in that one.

Nothing worse that hearing someone say something like "Carrey should stick to comedy because that's what he is know for...he will always be Ace Ventura for me".
    I think we've talked about this before, but I don't really care much of Jim Carrey as a comedy performer. Just too over the top of my tastes, and a little too "playing to the lowest common denominator". The one movie I've seen of his that I really liked was The Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind ("Or whatever it's called", as Bill Bruford might put it). That was a good movie. I know he's done some other dramatic pictures that I've hard a lot of people say are really good, but I haven't seen them yet.
    Is that the one with Queen Latifah as a diver who gets attacked by killer jellyfish?
    Haven't seen it in ages, but I always thought it was a good movie. That was one of the pictures that my brother Frank took me to see, when I was around 8 or 9 years old (albeit after it had been playing for something like a year).

There's a good episode of The Big Bang Theory, where Sheldon gets upset because Amy "ruins" the movie for him by pointing out the whole plot of the movie would have unfolded exactly the same without Indiana's intervention. When one of the other guys points out that the Germans were "digging in the wrong place", it's then pointed out that was only because of Indy's intervention.

The plot may have unfolded more or less the same, but one would point out that he probably saved Marion Ravenwood's life, since I'm reasonably sure that Toht probably would have raped and murdered her after divesting her of the head piece to the Staff Of Ra.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Haven't seen it in ages, but I always thought it was a good movie. That was one of the pictures that my brother Frank took me to see, when I was around 8 or 9 years old (albeit after it had been playing for something like a year).

There's a good episode of The Big Bang Theory, where Sheldon gets upset because Amy "ruins" the movie for him by pointing out the whole plot of the movie would have unfolded exactly the same without Indiana's intervention. When one of the other guys points out that the Germans were "digging in the wrong place", it's then pointed out that was only because of Indy's intervention.

The plot may have unfolded more or less the same, but one would point out that he probably saved Marion Ravenwood's life, since I'm reasonably sure that Toht probably would have raped and murdered her after divesting her of the head piece to the Staff Of Ra.
    "The journey, not the destination."

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    my love for all things Tarantuna give it away?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

With out a doubt. That film had so much energy, you wonder what happened with the others.
    Raiders has the right balance of, let's say pretty much everything.

^ I think that The Last Crusade is actually the weakest of the three; it felt a lot like a rehash of the first one.

Temple of Doom wasn't as good as Raiders either, but it also took Indy in a very different direction and was a different style of movie. Within the last 10 years or so, I've come to appreciate it a lot more.