Page 114 of 397 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124164214 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

More by Barbet Schroeder, the same director that created La Vallee, where the Pink Floyd soundtracks were used for More, and Obscured By Clouds. More was interesting although a tad long winded, still I found it enough to find out how it was going to end.
    It's mostly concerned about a watery, yet romantic relationship between two bohemian young people. Sex, drugs ensues. The young woman who was already using heroin gets the male hooked as well. Worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    More by Barbet Schroeder, the same director that created La Vallee, where the Pink Floyd soundtracks were used for More, and Obscured By Clouds. More was interesting although a tad long winded, still I found it enough to find out how it was going to end.
    It's mostly concerned about a watery, yet romantic relationship between two bohemian young people. Sex, drugs ensues. The young woman who was already using heroin gets the male hooked as well. Worth a watch.
    I saw More a couple years ago, wasn't really that crazy about it, but I'm starting to think maybe "art films" aren't my thing. I didn't like Zabriskie Point either (apart from the music, of course). Still, I wish I could have seen Le Vallee when it played here recently, but for some reason I missed it, but I don't remember why, probably work related.

Barbet Schroeder eventually went to Hollywood and started making mainstream movies like Reversal Of Fortune and Single White Female.

Watched the movie “Chuck” on Netflix the other day. It is based on boxer Chuck Wepner, known back in the day as the “Bayonne Bleeder”, and the inspiration for the “Rocky” film. The film has a terrific cast including Lieve Schreiber as Wepner. I remember when most everything in the film actually happened and I thought they did a nice job with it. Worth a look if you are into boxing films.

DEspite its bad word of mouth and tanking at the box office , I checked out Will Ferrell's Holmes And Watson. Its as bad as it was proported to be. Total misfire. An attempt at a paridy of the Guy Richie Holmes movies. The Richie movies have grown on me , those I like.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I don't like those Guy Ritchie versions either. Give me Jeremy Brett any day of the week.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

A few movies I caught up on this week...not exactly a full review, too tired, just a few brief comments.

Aquaman. Good fun. Very colourful and incredible set design and effects. It looked absolutely incredible. I like Momoa, he reminds me of The Rock in some ways, he know how to make these roles work. Does not take himself too seriously either.

Mortal Engines. A disappointment. The trailer and the premise looked interesting, but its ultimately a YA snoozefest with annoying, unappealing teens. Good effects as you would expect, but lacking pretty much everywhere else.

Mary Poppins Returns. Not a fan of the original but I do know it fairly well . I quite liked this. Better than you would expect. Blunt makes the role her own here, wisely choosing not to cop Andrew's performance. Some nice nods and homages to the original, even some old fashioned 2D animation. Songs were...ok, I guess.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    A few movies I caught up on this week...not exactly a full review, too tired, just a few brief comments.

Aquaman. Good fun. Very colourful and incredible set design and effects. It looked absolutely incredible. I like Momoa, he reminds me of The Rock in some ways, he know how to make these roles work. Does not take himself too seriously either.
    I thought Aquaman was approaching Avatar for impressive effects/filming.

Some re-watches: Path of Glory--it was worth a re-watch

Carlito's Way--maybe a bit dated, but the performances are good, and it's suspenseful in parts.

Gorky Park--William Hurt plays a Russian, and talks with a slightly funny accent. I'm not sure why they went that direction as the other Russians didn't even use an accent either. It had Lee Marvin too. It was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Mary Poppins Returns. Not a fan of the original but I do know it fairly well . I quite liked this. Better than you would expect. Blunt makes the role her own here, wisely choosing not to cop Andrew's performance. Some nice nods and homages to the original, even some old fashioned 2D animation. Songs were...ok, I guess.
    I was a little skeptical of Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda reprising (sort of) these roles, but I thought both did an excellent job. My kids and I loved it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I don't like those Guy Ritchie versions either. Give me Jeremy Brett any day of the week.
    I'd go with Basil Rathbone, but Jeremy Brett did a great job.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar

"That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Watched the Netflix monster movie The Silence (2019)

File alongside Bird Box, A Quiet Place, The Walking Dead and Hitchcock's The Birds.

This one had large blind yellow CGI bats with Alien faces that came out of an ancient cave chasing a family, of course.

Stanley Tucci made it somewhat bearable
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Watched the Netflix monster movie The Silence (2019)

File alongside Bird Box, A Quiet Place, The Walking Dead and Hitchcock's The Birds.

This one had large blind yellow CGI bats with Alien faces that came out of an ancient cave chasing a family, of course.

Stanley Tucci made it somewhat bearable
    Have you seen the horror movie called simply The Monster? It's actually not too bad! Nice, short, eerie, well-acted, cool monster
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I recently watched Widows, a movie where the widows of professional thieves killed in an armed robbery attempt find themselves forced by the political machinery and local lowlifes to commit an armed robbery of their own. Now I'm not saying women couldn't pull off a robbery, certainly they could do as well as any man. But with no armed robbery experience and only about a week to prepare? Stretches credulity. It's watchable, though, despite the plot holes.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I watched a movie with Jodie Foster & Terrence Howard yesterday not expecting that much and was blown away by Foster's performance and also where the story arc went. It was The Brave One, from 2007, directed by Neil "Crying Game" Jordan. Any other fans?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I watched a movie with Jodie Foster & Terrence Howard yesterday not expecting that much and was blown away by Foster's performance and also where the story arc went. It was The Brave One, from 2007, directed by Neil "Crying Game" Jordan. Any other fans?
    Saw that a while ago. I remember quite liking it. Unfortunately, at least in the UK anyway, it was marketed as a Death Wish style exploitation movie.

Definitely. She starred in a trio of quasi-action, "empowered woman" movies in the '00s that I consider three of her best: Panic Room, Flightplan, and The Brave One. Not sure which I liked best. They're all good.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The Onion Field--taken from the Joseph Wambaugh book about a couple of lowlife criminals killing a cop while one gets away and how the crime effected him as well as all the court proceedings. Early James Wood performance as a slimy criminal.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdon--if you liked the others you might like this one. Dinosaurs get out and wreck havoc. It's ok fun. These plots are getting a bit thin though.

I liked The Brave One a lot when I saw it years ago. Jodi Foster slays in her role!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I thought Aquaman was approaching Avatar for impressive effects/filming.
    Aquaman definitely exceeded Cameron's vastly overrated movie, to the point he even threw shade.

Finally got around to seeing these:

Passengers — no, not an original story by any means, but with gorgeous visuals and a cast of four (five, technically) actors, this was a good SF yarn. Like a '70s movie with modern FX.

10 Cloverfield Lane — liked it much better than its predecessor. John Goodman gives a tour de force performance. Again, a very limited cast which allows for a good level of tension in a micro-setting.

Life — a critical and box office flop, it's Alien all over again, if it happened today. A much different but equally aggressive organism of Martian origin, similar to a tardigrade, terrorizes a hapless crew aboard the ISS. Entertaining. It could have been better. It does do one thing right: provide an unconventional ending.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Hilarious......