Page 111 of 397 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    The Long Riders (1980)

Not a good Western at all, although the casting is cool - the Carradine bros., the Keach bros. and Quaid bros. as the Jesse James gang.

No plot, corny dialogue , TV style cuts and shootouts that are impossible to follow.
    Nope...as modern(ish) westerns go, one of the better ones. The casting is inspired even though you could accuse it of gimmickry, and the Peckinpah slo-mo homage is spot on.

Overall a much better movie than the stunt casting would suggest.

I was confusing Long Riders with Silverado. Silverado has Kevin Costner, iirc. I remember kinda liking these films just because they were westerns produced at a time that the genre was dying ( sorta).

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Nope...as modern(ish) westerns go, one of the better ones. The casting is inspired even though you could accuse it of gimmickry, and the Peckinpah slo-mo homage is spot on.
    I'm curious, when was the last time you viewed it?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Non existent plot?

I read this a lot these days, and I think some people must be sleeping through movies or doing something else instead...texting or something.

And I dont think the issue is that the movie didn't hold peoples attention. Considering how many of these films they have made I think they hold up pretty well.

I even remember the same being said about the plot in the first movie. And it was convoluted, granted, but not hard to follow if you paid attention. Problem is, some people approach it as a typical summer no-brainer action movie, and suddenly realise there is plot going on...but it's too late because they never paid attention. Hence the plot is usually described as non existent or usually impenetrable.

Just a general observation BTW, not a personal attack.
    Ok , non existant is exaggeration. More accurately , very thin. This even for an action movie. With Fallout , I got the feeling that all plot advances were in service of the action setpieces. Development was clunky and crude even by normal standards for this type of movie.

aith01 ; "Gotta disagree with all of this. There was a plot, there was a story, and if you can't remember anything more than Ving's weight gain, then I don't know what else to tell you. "

Watch again , and notice the pains taken to avoid any straight on shot of Rhames, either through a quick pan across , shot angle , loose clothing , tight shots. It is obvious enough that yes , that was a major take away for me , not being offered much else to take away. The stunts are top notch , but I wish a fraction of the effort used to create them was used to enhance presentation for the rest of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    [...] not being offered much else to take away. [...]
    Oh, never mind.

No Such Thing is another take on the Beauty and the Beast story. It's semi-low budget, but had a pretty good script & acting. It's not scary, but did have some interesting things to say about how people view things they don't understand, fear, the news media, and so forth. Interesting soundtrack too that sounded kinda proggy or used a, what sounded like to me, mellotron.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    aith01 ; "Gotta disagree with all of this. There was a plot, there was a story, and if you can't remember anything more than Ving's weight gain, then I don't know what else to tell you. "

Watch again , and notice the pains taken to avoid any straight on shot of Rhames, either through a quick pan across , shot angle , loose clothing , tight shots. It is obvious enough that yes , that was a major take away for me , not being offered much else to take away. The stunts are top notch , but I wish a fraction of the effort used to create them was used to enhance presentation for the rest of the movie.
    I dont understand why people would fixate on such a thing as an persons weight when watching a movie. It's not like I have even seen anyone discuss this on the web or on social media, and such stuff is usually ripe for discussion.

I have to say you are probably in the minority on that one...

I dont understand why people would fixate on such a thing as an persons weight when watching a movie. It's not like I have even seen anyone discuss this on the web or on social media, and such stuff is usually ripe for discussion.

I have to say you are probably in the minority on that one...
    Remember how everyone flipped when they saw what Carrie Fisher looked like in...is it The Last Jedi? I don't remember, one of the recent Star Wars movies. Everyone was acting all shocked about her appearance. First of all, did you really think she was gonna look like in Return Of The Jedi, 30 something years later?

And it's not like she retired from public life after 1983. She continued to do movies, wrote a book or two, did lots of talk shows, etc, so everyone should have known she looked like. And it's not like she looked that bad, she looked reasonably good for a woman who was old enough to have worn a slave girl outfit without breaking any major laws 30 years earlier and who had been through the wringer in her personal life. This wasn't some kind of Marlon Brando deal we're talking about, either.

But I mean, so what if she doesn't look the way she did in 1983?! Did it actually impede her performance? I dunno, I never got around to seeing the picture. But something tells me it probably didn't.

I dont understand why people would fixate on such a thing as an persons weight when watching a movie.
    When you haven't seen someone for awhile it can be startling. I remember seeing a movie with Helen Hunt and she looked haggard... and not the Merle kind. I found it kinda hard to concentrate on the story because of it. The next time I saw her she looked fine but at the time I wondered if she didn't have some serious health issue.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    But I mean, so what if she doesn't look the way she did in 1983?! Did it actually impede her performance? I dunno, I never got around to seeing the picture. But something tells me it probably didn't.
    I think in Carrie's case, it was a combination of aging and plastic surgery. As far as it affecting her performance, probably not. But then she wasn't exactly a Shakespearean actress in the first place so it's hard to tell. lol

But that happens a lot when you haven't seen an actor or actress for awhile and then when you do and they've had plastic surgery, it's hard not to notice that.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Speaking of Carrie Fisher, I watched an excellent behind the scenes doc of Carrie and her mom Debbie Reynolds in their final months.

Really good & highly recommended , it's called Bright Lights: Starring Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds (2017)
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

But that happens a lot when you haven't seen an actor or actress for awhile and then when you do and they've had plastic surgery, it's hard not to notice that.
    Musicians too. I saw Kenny Rogers on TV maybe about 10 years ago, and he didn't look like Kenny Rogers anymore. He looked like a guy who kinda looks like Kenny Rogers, if you know what I mean.

Was it Mickey Rourke who looked like he'd been in a bad car accident after he had work done?

Kenny Rogers should sue his plastic surgeon for everything he's got.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I enjoyed Isle of Dogs recently and I'm looking forward 2020 when The French Dispatch’s is released. The Grand Budapest Hotel is brilliant and I love everything Frances McDormand is in. 3 Billboards is her best performance to date I think. I love the scene when the young ones get a swift kick to the crotch. Gives the slogan 'got milk' a new meaning!!! She is so bold and big and great on the screen. She deserved her 2018 Oscar for that role. Wes Anderson deserves one too.

Three Billboards was incredible.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Kenny Rogers should sue his plastic surgeon for everything he's got.
    I wish these celebs (and anyone, for that matter) would just stop with the plastic surgery altogether. I've seen so much of it lately... my wife made a good point when we were watching a movie the other day that was set in the 18th century, and the actress had all this obvious 21st century work done on her face. It really took us out of it to see this rotting Jack O'Lantern head among all of the natural-looking women.

Phil Collins' wife Orianne is one of the worst examples I've seen lately. She was a pretty girl when they got together - now she looks like a stone lion head. Seriously, look her up - and she's only 45! I just don't understand how these people can think that looks better than just aging naturally like the rest of the world. Sure, you might go grey and get a few wrinkles, but I'll take that any day over the alternative.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Phil Collins' wife Orianne is one of the worst examples I've seen lately. She was a pretty girl when they got together - now she looks like a stone lion head. Seriously, look her up - and she's only 45! I just don't understand how these people can think that looks better than just aging naturally like the rest of the world. Sure, you might go grey and get a few wrinkles, but I'll take that any day over the alternative.
    I just googled her, and....OUCH!!! I can't unsee that!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Three Billboards was incredible.
    It pissed me off. If I want to get depressed about a world with zero consequences for perpetrators of evil, I'll just tune into reality.

Performances were good, but with that kind of message, screw it. Made me want to put a bag over my head and shoot myself in front of my horse.

I wish these celebs (and anyone, for that matter) would just stop with the plastic surgery altogether. I've seen so much of it lately... my wife made a good point when we were watching a movie the other day that was set in the 18th century, and the actress had all this obvious 21st century work done on her face. It really took us out of it to see this rotting Jack O'Lantern head among all of the natural-looking women.

Exactly my sentiment. As you say, they often times end up looking like they've been sitting in Rick Baker's chair for the last 4 hours. My understanding is they're trying to look younger, but they don't, really. And like I said, they don't look like they used to.

Then you have someone like Jennifer Grey, who had a nose job, actually two of them (the second reportedly to fix complications stemming from the first), after which even her friends didn't recognize her. Reportedly, it also had a negative effect on her acting career. She said she went into the operating "a celebrity, and came out anonymous" and likened it to being in witness protection.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    It pissed me off. If I want to get depressed about a world with zero consequences for perpetrators of evil, I'll just tune into reality.

Performances were good, but with that kind of message, screw it. Made me want to put a bag over my head and shoot myself in front of my horse.
    So we should all watch movies only with positive messages?

I get you didn't like it, fair enough, but your post is kind of ridiculous.

No offence intended, of course. Happy thoughts...

Woody Harrison was great in 3 Billboards. One of a winning streak ,wonder if it will continue now that he's smoking again.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post

Interesting - my take-away was that we don't see a comeuppance, but we're invited to imagine it (and all that might happen on the way) by the way the movie ends, which for me is more interesting. Not the feel-good movie of the year by any stretch, but IMO deserving of the accolades. Different strokes...
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Glass. One of the better Shyamalan movies but pretty anticlimactic.

Bumblebee. Of the kinds of movies I have zero interest in, the Transformer series is near the top of the list. But, the ad for it made it look cute and I like cute. This didn't disappoint; a good flick to watch with your kids. A minor quibble I had was that because it takes place in the '80s, there were a few times where some of the dialogue is anachronistic, tho not nearly as much as Summer of '84, a good movie nevertheless. And, surprisingly, there were a few jokes thrown in here and there that actually made me laugh, one of the funniest being Bumblebee spitting out a cassette tape of The Smiths.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I wish these celebs (and anyone, for that matter) would just stop with the plastic surgery altogether.
    I agree but I also understand the desire for it. Usually, it's women who get it because Hollywood, in typical double standard fashion, does not like older women and they feel they need it to keep from looking old. That said, it appears to me, based on the finished product, that most plastic surgeons are horrible at their job.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Exactly my sentiment. As you say, they often times end up looking like they've been sitting in Rick Baker's chair for the last 4 hours. My understanding is they're trying to look younger, but they don't, really. And like I said, they don't look like they used to.
    It's not so much to look younger but to counteract the effects of aging. And you're right, they don't look like they used to. I think the worst case was Cher. She was such a beautiful woman and now she's Frankencher.

But really what it boils down to is their self esteem, their support system, and the press. Anyone who thinks they need PS already has a problem but someone in their circle needs to convince them they need to get into therapy and to learn to ignore press about their appearance. Of course, most celebrities are celebrities in the first place because of some self image or mental health issue.

What they so often fail to realize is that what makes a person interesting and/or beautiful is their imperfections. WhoTF wants to look like a mannequin? It's also why I applaud Sharon Stone, who appears to be aging gracefully. The funny thing is, to me most women get better looking when they get into their 40s and beyond. I think SS is as beautiful, or more so, than she ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    It's not so much to look younger but to counteract the effects of aging. And you're right, they don't look like they used to. I think the worst case was Cher. She was such a beautiful woman and now she's Frankencher.
    Frankencher! LOL I like that! I haven't seen any pictures of her lately, but I can only imagine.
    But really what it boils down to is their self esteem, their support system, and the press.
    Yeah, that's true. I remember seeing a documentary about Tammy Faye Bakker, this was just a few years before she passed away, like around the time she did The Surreal Life and all that. Anyway, so they interviewed this woman who did the makeup for a photo shoot Tammy Faye did. This lady is like, "I've been doing makeup for 20 years, this is the first time I've had someone walk in with makeup on already". So they then cut to Tammy Faye sitting in the makeup chair, and the makeup lady is asking her if she can take of Tammy's make up off, and Tammy's explaining to her that most of it is basically tattooed on! Permanently!

You have to wonder what state of mind you have to be to go through with something like that, to have your makeup on your face, permanently unchangeable. I mean, I get the compulsion to wear lots of makeup. But to do that in such a fashion that you'll only ever have that one look. That's beyond anything I can comprehend.

Anyone who thinks they need PS already has a problem but someone in their circle needs to convince them they need to get into therapy and to learn to ignore press about their appearance. Of course, most celebrities are celebrities in the first place because of some self image or mental health issue.

And if you want to see how bad some of those things can go, you should watch the show Botched. I really only tuned in once, when they had Nicole Eggert on. She said she never had a problem with her self image when she was growing up because where she was from, everyone wore bikinis, so it didn't matter how big your breasts are. But when she got cast on Baywatch, the one piece swimsuits that everyone wore don't give you the same help as a bikini top in that area, and she was acting alongside all these boobilicious women, and she felt like she needed to have "something more" to compete with these other ladies in that arena. And I gather that she ended up bouncing back and forth between various sizes over the years since.

I remember back in the 90's, I saw a thing on TV about a woman who died after one of her fake boobs ruptured. The thing was, the husband tried to talk her out of doing it. It was one of those self esteem things, again, and the husband was like, "No, you don't need to do that, you'll look great as you are". But she did it anyway, and it ended up killing her.