Page 110 of 396 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160210 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 9887

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I am not a big Willie fan.
    Happy with what you were dealt Steve?
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Happy with what you were dealt Steve?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highwayman is the ONLY epic country song - maybe not in length but damn, it's just such a big tale.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Saw the new Mission Impossible , Fallout. My take away , Ving Rames has gotten really fat. On the film making side of things , some well done stunt set pieces stretched over a skeleton of a threadbare plot. A noisy 2 hour diversion that is instantly forgettable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    That was my reaction more or less. It was just so ridiculous. It was practically a sci-fi film. Sometimes you have to suspend your disbelief, I get that. But this film was almost an insult.
    Man, what's wrong with movies just being fun? I don't mind if a movie is ridiculous as long as it's enjoyable, and Fallout was like a thrill ride. Not realistic in the least, and it wasn't supposed to be.

It's best seen in the theater on a big screen. Watching it at home, it probably has a lot less impact.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Man, what's wrong with movies just being fun? I don't mind if a movie is ridiculous as long as it's enjoyable, and Fallout was like a thrill ride. Not realistic in the least, and it wasn't supposed to be.

It's best seen in the theater on a big screen. Watching it at home, it probably has a lot less impact.
    I stand by my original statements. Ving Rhames has gotten FAT. The stunt set pieces ARE well done. The plot is practically non existant. And even though I saw it only a day or 2 ago , I cant remember much more than Rhames expansion. All this does not mean it wasn't fun to watch , in the moment.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Saw Molly's Game, quite enjoyable look into the world of poker, pretty well done with good leads.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched A Private War, with Rosamund Pike impressively playing a real-life modern war journalist. Very good movie.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Got to Captain Marvel this weekend. Good fun, with no real thought-provoking ideas to make me engage my brain.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

This Is Spinal Tap was on again, so I watched it. Still a fun movie. Something I noticed this time was some of the records sitting in the racks during the record store scene: Tangram (Tangerine Dream, Sides (Anthony Phillips), and Quiet Life (Japan).

And for some reason, I never realized that Duke Fame is played by Paul Shortino, who was the real life lead singer of a glam metal called Rough Cutt, and then later sang with Quiet Riot (after Kevin DuBrow got himself fired from his own band). I somehow never knew that was Shortino until I saw a documentary about Quiet Riot a couple years ago, where it's suggested he's more famous for This Is Spinal Tap than he is for singing career (which is probably true...to this day, I'm not sure I've ever heard anything he sang on).

But I'm stil amused by who's playing the two groupies that Derek and Nigel are fooling around with in the tour bus. Cindy (the blonde) is played by Vicki Blue, who played bass with The Runaways back in the 70's (she replaced future Jeopardy champion Jackie Fox, though I think in the liner notes of one of the CD remasters, Kim Fowley says she wasn't good enough to play on the records, and they had to have someone else deputize in the studio).

Belinda (the sort of brown haired girl) is Joyce Hyser, who somewhat more famously starred in a movie called Just One Of The Boys, where she plays a teenager girl who poses as a boy so she can write an essay about sexism, or something like that. Anyway, there's a great scene where she has to prove to this guy she has the hots for that she's really a girl. I won't say anything more, if you've never seen it, it's kinda mind blowing when it happens. Or at least, it was mind blowing for my 16 year old mind.

I stand by my original statements.
    Good for you.

Ving Rhames has gotten FAT.
    Why is this even worth mentioning? Time is cruel to us all.

The plot is practically non existant. And even though I saw it only a day or 2 ago , I cant remember much more than Rhames expansion.
    Gotta disagree with all of this. There was a plot, there was a story, and if you can't remember anything more than Ving's weight gain, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Belinda (the sort of brown haired girl) is Joyce Hyser, who somewhat more famously starred in a movie called Just One Of The Boys, where she plays a teenager girl who poses as a boy so she can write an essay about sexism, or something like that.
    I think you mean Just One of the Guys. I remember when that movie came out and I wanted to see it because of the poster. It showed her in a locker room wearing only a towel around her waist and holding two football helmets over her chest. Looking it up I came across this photo:

Attachment 12885

I have absolutely no recollection of seeing that movie but I immediately recognized that character. Must have been a forgettable movie.

Edit: Looking over her credits on IMDb, I discovered she was also in The Hollywood Knights and Valley Girl, both of which weren't bad movies.
    Last edited by Hal...; 04-01-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I stand by my original statements. Ving Rhames has gotten FAT. The stunt set pieces ARE well done. The plot is practically non existant. And even though I saw it only a day or 2 ago , I cant remember much more than Rhames expansion. All this does not mean it wasn't fun to watch , in the moment.
    Non existent plot?

I read this a lot these days, and I think some people must be sleeping through movies or doing something else instead...texting or something.

And I dont think the issue is that the movie didn't hold peoples attention. Considering how many of these films they have made I think they hold up pretty well.

I even remember the same being said about the plot in the first movie. And it was convoluted, granted, but not hard to follow if you paid attention. Problem is, some people approach it as a typical summer no-brainer action movie, and suddenly realise there is plot going on...but it's too late because they never paid attention. Hence the plot is usually described as non existent or usually impenetrable.

Just a general observation BTW, not a personal attack.

The Long Riders (1980)

Not a good Western at all, although the casting is cool - the Carradine bros., the Keach bros. and Quaid bros. as the Jesse James gang.

No plot, corny dialogue , TV style cuts and shootouts that are impossible to follow.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I think you mean Just One of the Guys. I remember when that movie came out and I wanted to see it because of the poster. It showed her in a locker room wearing only a towel around her waist and holding two football helmets over her chest. Looking it up I came across this photo:

Attachment 12885

I have absolutely no recollection of seeing that movie but I immediately recognized that character. Must have been a forgettable movie.
    Funny movie. It's a fun-filled 80s teen classic.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    The Long Riders (1980)

Not a good Western at all, although the casting is cool - the Carradine bros., the Keach bros. and Quaid bros. as the Jesse James gang.

No plot, corny dialogue , TV style cuts and shootouts that are impossible to follow.
    But Keith and David Carradine were utterly convincing. And oh, that Ry Cooder soundtrack. And the Texas knife fight was pretty badass.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

re: Just One Of The Guys

It was an 80's teen movie, basically a John Hughes type picture. Really, the climax, with the scene I described in my earlier post is the highlight. I remember Joyce Hyser appeared in one of those "I Love the 80's" programs on VH-1 in the late 90's, where she said people were still asking her about that scene, and you got the feeling maybe she was a little embarrassed by it.

Edit: Looking over her credits on IMDb, I discovered she was also in The Hollywood Knights and Valley Girl, both of which weren't bad movies

The only thing I remember about Hollywood Knights is that Fran Drescher was in it, and I suspect it's where the 90's punk rock band New Bomb Turks got their name from (because there's a character in the movie named Neubaum, who is referred to as "that Neubaum turk" in one scene).

But Valley Girl I remember real well. Seen it several times. Easily one of Nicholas Cage's best pictures.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo
    And the Texas knife fight was pretty badass.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Saw Molly's Game, quite enjoyable look into the world of poker, pretty well done with good leads.
    That one has been on my DVR for ages now, I need to get around to it soon.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

This pushes a lot of my buttons

Edit: Looking over her credits on IMDb, I discovered she was also in The Hollywood Knights and Valley Girl, both of which weren't bad movies.
    Hollywood Knights is a classic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    But Keith and David Carradine were utterly convincing. And oh, that Ry Cooder soundtrack. And the Texas knife fight was pretty badass.
    I liked it a lot more 30 years ago.

Last night it came across as a PG13 episode of Bonanza.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Hollywood Knights is a classic.
    Absotively! Kind of was thought of as a lame version of American Graffiti, but I found it way funnier.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Seems like a lot of Ry Cooder's best work was on soundtracks. Whenever I've listened to his own albums, I feel like he doesn't play enough slide guitar, and sings way too much. I mean, I can understand if you feel you "need" to do vocal material, I can sort of understand that's the type of material that comes out of you, or I can understand there might be pressure from Joe Smith or Ted Tempelman (Ry was signed to Warners during the 70's and early 80's, I believe) who are telling you that instrumental music isn't "in" anymore. OK fine, I get that.

But could you get someone who can actually sing to do the required vocals? And can you at least put some good guitar work in there, so that those of us who've heard about your amazing guitarmanship won't feel like we're just wasting our time? I mean, there's some nice guitar work on the records I've heard, but not as much as you'd expect from a guitarist as acclaimed as he is.

Killing Eve AMC TV series, This crime thriller stars Sandra Oh as Eve Polastri, a bored MI5 agent turned spy with a morbid interest in female killers and who’s tasked with tracking down the mysterious Villanelle (Jodie Comer), a mercurial Russian assassin who’s the suspect in a series of high-profile murders. Next Sunday AMC will marathon Season One and then show the first episode of Season Two.

American Gothic stars Rod Steiger & Yvonne De Carlo. It was a weird one. Not scary, although fits within the horror genre I guess. A group of young people are on a camping vacation and have trouble with their airplane, and have to land on an island. They explore the island and find a cabin inhabited by Ma & Pa, and their "kids". It's not without its charm, and kept my interest.

This pushes a lot of my buttons

Wow... Never thought we'd be getting a zombie movie written and directed by Jim Jarmusch. As played out as zombies are to me, that does pique my interest.