Page 10 of 397 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    i should probably say which Willis films I've enjoyed most. First is Sixth Sense. Fifth Element and 12 Monkeys and of course, Die Hard and the last Die Hard. He played this roles extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    What are Willis's best roles in your opinion.
    Pulp Fiction, Sixth Sense and Die Hard
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Pulp Fiction, Sixth Sense and Die Hard
    I missed Pulp Fiction. My favourite is Six Sense. It's not actually a huge body of stellar work considering how many movies Bruce has acted in. I'd also add Looper to my list.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Have to share this one...

I worked in a cinema in London when Quadrophenia premiered. I remember Pete Townsend turning up late and being a little the worse for wear.

I was talking about this online recently on another website, and I was prompted to look around for some photos online...and I was shocked to find this...utterly shocked. From 1979, a picture I never even knew existed until now. That's me on the left, very young, fresh faced and somewhat serious looking, trying to persuade a clearly inebriated Townsend to take his seat...

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...hoto/852792906
    “Usher! I gotta get runnin now, always runnin at someone’s bleeding heels...”

That’s really cool! You look like you’re right out of the movie.

I worked in a cinema in London when Quadrophenia premiered. I remember Pete Townsend turning up late and being a little the worse for wear.

I was talking about this online recently on another website, and I was prompted to look around for some photos online...and I was shocked to find this...utterly shocked. From 1979, a picture I never even knew existed until now. That's me on the left, very young, fresh faced and somewhat serious looking, trying to persuade a clearly inebriated Townsend to take his seat...

That is really cool!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

That is an awesome photo. And Pete is clearly wasted.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

You look pissed!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Bruce Willis: Sin City and Unbreakable were pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    You look pissed!
    I was...there was no security that night, there was a disagreement over money and they never showed. So we had to try and manage the crowd,photographers and guests ourselves. It was complete chaos.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I read an interview with Pete Townshend just after Quadrophenia was released, I think, and he talked about the mods vs rockers thing. He said the rockers were greasy bikers and caused all the problems.
    I remember Pete doing an interview relatively recently, like within the last 15 years or so, where he talks about how people in the US always ask about the "Mods vs Rockers" thing, and he said part of the problem was the British press, and how they'd print headlines like "Mods and Rockers clash in Brighton", and he says "They should have said, 'Mods and dirty rotten stinkin' filthy..." and then they edit away from him talking to something else.

It may be true the Rockers were the ones starting the problems, but that's not the way it's depicted in the movie. The scene where the Mods beat the tar out of Jimmy's Rocker friend (with Jimmy turning his back on the guy) doesn't come off as "the Rockers starting all the problems". Also, there's the scene where they break into the chemist. Seems to me like both sides were a bunch of troublemakers.

I don't think I've ever watched the whole movie either, just caught parts of it, but did see The Who play the entire Quadrophenia album when Entwistle was still alive, and that was sublime.
    Me too. I saw it 96. Much better than when I saw them in 89. I just wish Pete had played more electric guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I enjoyed Unbreakable. Bruce Willis at least has some top shelf movies to his name.

Jack Goes Boating (2010)

Phillip Seymour Hoffman stars and directs in this excellent NY dramedy.

A limo driver's blind date sparks a tale of love, betrayal, friendship, and grace centered around two working-class New York City couples.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Re Bruce Willis roles: Agree with Pulp Fiction, Sin City and the Die Hard movies. I'd add Last Man Standing and the RED movies as well.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I enjoyed Unbreakable. Bruce Willis at least has some top shelf movies to his name.
    The sequel, Glass, is coming soon...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    It may be true the Rockers were the ones starting the problems, but that's not the way it's depicted in the movie. The scene where the Mods beat the tar out of Jimmy's Rocker friend (with Jimmy turning his back on the guy) doesn't come off as "the Rockers starting all the problems". Also, there's the scene where they break into the chemist. Seems to me like both sides were a bunch of troublemakers.
    Well, they were retaliated for one of the mods being attacked. Not that that will lead anywhere good.

RE: The chemist shop, yeah, they were all taking drugs and slacking off and fighting and whatnot. The movie certainly doesn't sugarcoat that or glamorize it, although it does see things somewhat through Jimmy's eyes, and rightly so, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    The sequel, Glass, is coming soon...
    This looks very interesting. I lost faith with this director until Spilt which I think was a full rebound. Looking forward to it.

Split was indeed a return to form. And finding out at the end that it was taking place in the same universe as Unbreakable was one of the best twists that M. Night has delivered.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Well, they were retaliated for one of the mods being attacked. Not that that will lead anywhere good.

RE: The chemist shop, yeah, they were all taking drugs and slacking off and fighting and whatnot. The movie certainly doesn't sugarcoat that or glamorize it, although it does see things somewhat through Jimmy's eyes, and rightly so, IMO.
    I get your point, but I mean, it's like watching mafia movies. I don't get that either. Like The Godfather, or Goodfellas, I still fail to understand the appeal of those movies.

Mind you, I always had a difficult time with the plot of Quadrophenia in the first place. For one, the first time I heard Bellboy, I thought the story was supposed to be set years later, because there's the couplet "I don't suppose you'd remember me/But I used to follow you in '63". So I had the impression Jimmy was meeting Ace years later, when in fact, it's really just like a year or so later.

The other thing is, you're given the impression that Ace is supposed to be some sort of idol, but really he's just another smart aleck. I supposed we're supposed to believe he's sort of the Dungeonmaster of the Mods (sorry, my knowledge of role playing games is relatively limited, so I'm not sure what the bad asses in D&D are called).

Then there was Townshend talking about how he didn't initially like the idea of having Keith sing on Bellboy because he knew Keith would turn it into a "comedy piece", which apparently wasn't what Pete wanted. What?! Was this supposed to be some sort of tragic piece, some great tragedy that Jimmy finds out his hooligan idol had a demeaning and humiliating day job?! (shrug)

Having said that, I rather like a lot of the songs on Quadrophenia, so one just tries to listen to the music and not worry too much what the plotline.

BTW, one thing I remember hearing was, when they did Quadrophenia in Hyde Park in 96 (and I believe also at MSG later in the year), they had the actor who played Jimmy in the movie appear onstage a narrator, implying the story is being related to the listener by middle aged Jimmy. But they dispensed with that when they did the American tour toward the end of the year, having some young guy do narration, as if to imply it's the young Jimmy talking about the stuff as it was happening.

I remember someone telling me that he preferred the way it was done when he saw the MSG show, because in his mind, the story worked as the adult Jimmy recalling his misspent youth. But I think Townshend must have felt that took away the ambiguity of the story's ending. As I recall, the thing ends with Jimmy rowing out a huge rock in the middle of Brighton bay or whatever, eventually the boat drifts away and Jimmy is stranded on the rock, and apparently drowns as a rainstorm kicks up. I think Townshend even admitted that he had no idea if Jimmy makes it back to shore and survives. And he may have preferred to leave that ambiguity in place, which is impossible if you know from the outset that Jimmy lives to be at least middle aged.

Edit: ya know, it occurs to me that I'm posting this in the wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Split was indeed a return to form. And finding out at the end that it was taking place in the same universe as Unbreakable was one of the best twists that M. Night has delivered.
    Agree, best M. Night movie in years. Really looking forward to Glass.

I agree about Split. But I remember nothing about it being in the same universe as Unbreakable. What did I miss?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I agree about Split. But I remember nothing about it being in the same universe as Unbreakable. What did I miss?
    There's a scene at the very end. Starting about 1:08 the twist begins

Saw Pacino's Danny Collins. A 2015 movie I somehow totally missed. Loaded with A list veterens , Pacino , Annette Benning , Jennifer Garner , Christopher Plummer , and more. Plot concerns an aging rocker who gets a letter from John Lennon , 40 years late. It causes him to reassess his life , and amoung other things try to repair relations with estranged son. Plummer is his longtime agent / friend. Very well acted, thoughtfull script. Not totally sure of Pacino's version of a rock star , but it works. The wife actually stayed awake , high praise indeed. 8 of 10 for me.

Jerry Seinfeld: Comedian. A 2002 documentary available free on Netflix. Profiles Seinfeld's return to standup after his TV show ended, shows him trying out new material in small clubs and having it not work. Shows him forgetting parts of the routine. Shows him getting heckled. Shows him getting advice from other working comedians about how to pull a new set together. Eventually, after six months of working on it, he's got 45 minutes of stuff that works well enough to tour with it.

But here's the thing. It also shows Jerry traveling to gigs in his private Lear jet, and in stretch limos. He kvetches that he can't work on the material as hard as he used to because he isn't motivated by money anymore (his net worth is estimated at just shy of a billion). Hard to feel sorry for a guy who's putting himself through this as a lark.

One of the comedians he consults is his personal hero, who has just opened a new tour with a 2-1/2 hour set (unheard of!) His name? Bill Cosby.

How times change.

There's a scene at the very end. Starting about 1:08 the twist begins
    Oh, yeah, now I remember. Altho, at the time, I'm not sure I picked up on the connection right way.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Jerry Seinfeld: Comedian.
    I saw that shortly after it was originally released. An excellent documentary. But, like you, I had the same reaction about his struggles & wealth.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Agree about Unbreakable. Sin City was one of the most horrible "violence-against-women-sells" movies I've ever seen (and the pseudoanimation sucked too, done much better in A Scanner Darkly).

I still have to see Split.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.