Page 107 of 394 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157207 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    It's not really that bad...it's watchable. There is a comedy aspect that completely took me off guard...kinda bugged me. VERY cheesy! Terrible acting too. It's much more Deep Blue Sea than it is Jaws. I was looking for more of the latter.
    So, I won't completely hate myself for this?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The Meg

Man this was terrible...but I watched the whole thing. Whatever that means
    Sucks to be you. When I watched it, I slept through the middle part.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    So, I won't completely hate myself for this?
    I want to say yes you will, but I don't know! You'll have to judge for yourself. Maybe it will work for ya...I hope it does! Just don't expect the grittiness and dread of Jaws.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Sucks to be you. When I watched it, I slept through the middle part.

stop! You'll deter Lou!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

stop! You'll deter Lou!

It's not really that bad...it's watchable. There is a comedy aspect that completely took me off guard...kinda bugged me. VERY cheesy! Terrible acting too. It's much more Deep Blue Sea than it is Jaws. I was looking for more of the latter.
    Pretty much every shark movie (including the Jaws sequels) is gonna be "more Deep Blue Sea than Jaws". Trust me, I've watched many of them (though I've taken a pass on Sharknado and other similar recent entries).

I still think beyond that actual Jaws franchise, the best movies were the ones in that genre were from the late 70's and early 80's. Things like Up From The Depths, Barracuda, the two Piranha movies, Tentacles, L'Ultimo Squalo, and Jaws 3-D are the best you ever got from that genre, apart from the original Jaws itself, of course.

Watched about the first half hour of A Shot in the Dark, the second of the Pink Panther movies, and saw something I was completely shocked by... which leads me to a great trivia question:

Who co-wrote the screenplay with director Blake Edwards?

No cheating!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

RIP horrormeister Larry Cohen. He was 77.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Watched about the first half hour of A Shot in the Dark, the second of the Pink Panther movies, and saw something I was completely shocked by... which leads me to a great trivia question:

No cheating!
    Sellers?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Sellers?
    Good guess, but no.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

^I cheated, and yeah, it's a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    RIP horrormeister Larry Cohen. He was 77.
    Dude, I remember being creeped out by the TV spots for the first two It's Alive movies. Keep in mind, I was like 6 years old at the time, but I remember them showing shots of a baby carriage, with typical sort of gentle music box music, which then sort of cross fades into I think ominous music with a heartbeat and you see this claw reaching out of the carriage. Or something like that. Then I can't remember if it's the same advert, but there's a shot of a camera approaching a baby from behind, and then as the camera gets up to the baby, it whirls around, and it's the mutant baby, who growls at the camera. They really spooked me the first time I saw it.

I just finally saw God Told Me To last year (I postd about it here, in fact) after decades of wanting to see it (I believe I first read about it in a horror movie "encyclopedia"). Good picture.

The Stuff was a strange but memorable picture. As I recall, Garrett Morris' head explodes in it.

I remember Joe Bob Briggs showing a double feature of the first two It's Alive movie (yes, there was a third one, I'll talk about that in a second) on Monstervision back in the 90's, and saying somethign like "I'm not sure if these movies are for abortion, or against it, but I think they must be trying to say something!".

I remember seeing the It's Alive movie, It's Alive III: Island Of The Alive, sometime around 96 or 97. It had to have sometime like that because I recognized the actor playing the judge in the opening sequence: it was MacDonald Carey. Carey apparently with scores of B-movies during the 40's through the early 60's, but he's probably most recognizable for not only playing Doctor Tom Horton on Days Of Our Lives from 1965 until his death in 1994. The producers still use his voice to intro each episode, saying "Like sands through the hour glass, so are the Days Of Our Lives". Some of you may remember he was also in a Hitchcock picture, Shadow Of A Doubt.

Interestingly, the Showtime channels have been showing an early 80's Cohen picture, Q: The Winged Serpent, which I've been trying to catch, for the last few months. I saw the beginning of this movie back in 1984, as I recall, it starts with a window washer outside a skyscraper being decapitated by the titular creature.

Tonight we watched Gambit from 2012, a much better comedy than I thought it was going to be, based on some tepid reviews I read. Really enjoyed Alan Rickman, Pip Torrens, Tom Courtenay and Colin Firth immensely. I'm not sure where the poor reviews came from, it was quite charming.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Interestingly, the Showtime channels have been showing an early 80's Cohen picture, Q: The Winged Serpent, which I've been trying to catch, for the last few months. I saw the beginning of this movie back in 1984, as I recall, it starts with a window washer outside a skyscraper being decapitated by the titular creature.
    His '82 movie starring David Carradine. I saw that sucker at the drive-in.

The Witness (2015). A documentary. From RT: "On March 13, 1964, Kitty Genovese was repeatedly attacked on a street in Kew Gardens, Queens. Soon after, The New York Times published a front-page story asserting that 38 witnesses watched her being murdered from their apartment windows - and did nothing to help. The death of Kitty Genovese, 28, quickly became a symbol of urban apathy. The Witness follows the efforts of her brother Bill Genovese as he looks to uncover the truth buried beneath the story. In the process, he makes startling discoveries about the crime that transformed his life, condemned a city, and defined an era."

I don't know that I'd say it's excellent but I found it compelling... and even a little affecting. I thought it was as good as Free Solo.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Maybe to keep the raft oriented to camara instead of spinning. Plus by that time Pappi was old and might not have survived a dunking.
    and here I thought it was Steve McQueen
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Because the overwhelming majority of young people are not aware of anything that took place before they were born.
    deliberately?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Some movies I've seen recently, going from best to worst:

Red Sparrow (2018). Stars Jennifer Lawrence. A spy movie updated for a post-cold war world. It scored 66% on IMDb. I wasn't interested in seeing it until I read what it says on RT: "Red Sparrow aims for smart, sexy spy thriller territory, but Jennifer Lawrence's committed performance isn't enough to compensate for thin characters and a convoluted story." I have learned that when I read something like the phrase "convoluted story", most of the time it's code for, "it was too complicated for me." If you like complicated spy stories, check this one out. I thought it was really good.
    sounds like my kind of movie
    I love movies that make you think and try to figure them out

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    sounds like my kind of movie
    I love movies that make you think and try to figure them out
    Plus you get Jennifer Lawrence in full frontal nudity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Plus you get Jennifer Lawrence in full frontal nudity.
    You've gotten my attention.

How does it compare to Atomic Blonde?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    deliberately?
    I think it's a failure of our education system, and the devaluation of history by the larger culture in favor of math, science and technology. When left to learn on their own, many (most?) Americans choose not to.

No cheating!
    It was Kato wasn't it?
    "Ah Kato , my little yellow friend "

Tequila Sunrise--very 80s film, much like a Miami Vice movie, with young roles for Kurt Russel (the cop role), Mel Gibson (the druggy role), and completing the romantic triangle, Michelle Pfeiffer (romantic interest and restaurant owner). I prefer the grittier style of the 70's cinema. That being said, I didn't care for it that much. It might be better on a second viewing.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)

Top 5 70s crime drama for me, starring Robert Mitchum as a desperate hood involved with bank robbers, the mob, the Feds and gun runners.

Lets just say Eddie doesn't have any friends.
    Last edited by nosebone; 03-25-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Tequila Sunrise--very 80s film, much like a Miami Vice movie, with young roles for Kurt Russel (the cop role), Mel Gibson (the druggy role), and completing the romantic triangle, Michelle Pfeiffer (romantic interest and restaurant owner). I prefer the grittier style of the 70's cinema. That being said, I didn't care for it that much. It might be better on a second viewing.
    Well, given the fact that Kurt Russell had been making movies for over 20 years by that time (you never saw It Happened At The World's Fair or The Computer Wore Sneakers?), it couldn't have been that "young" of a role.