Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

  1. #2526
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Watched most of an early 70's French picture called Trafic. Directed and (sort of) starring Jacques Tati (who I understand to have been a highly rated director, though he only made something like 9 feature films), the picture is basically a comedy about a crew trying to transport a prototype car from somewhere in France to Amsterdam for a car show. Interesting picture, I enjoyed it, but the DVR ran out of space near the end, hopefully, I'll get another chance to see it in the not too distant future (I may also check out more of Tati's pictures).

    One scene I liked was this overhead shot of the floor of the car show, where you see people looking at several cars, opening and closing the hoods, boot lids, doors, etc. Hard to explain, there was just something I amusing I found about the choreography of the scene. Its' one of those things like the scene in Room Service where the Marx Brothers are eating, you can't explain why it's funny, it just is. At least, to me it is.

    One thing I found intriguing wast he occasional line of English I'd hear in the dialog. Someone's talking in French or Dutch, and suddenly, in the middle of that, you'll hear a few words of English. And it happens multiple times through the picture, by several different characters. Seemed strange. The way it happens in the movie, you have to figure Tati did it deliberately, but one wonders if there was a "reason" beyond "Long after I'm dead, I'm going to be making smoke pour out of some American dork's ears with this shit".
    I had actually never seen any Tati movies until I picked up a complete box set last year. I found some of the humour a bit of an acquired taste, yet it was always well executed and often quite clever.

    I struggled with some of the earlier movies like Mon Oncle and Mr Hulots Holiday. Traffic is good but Playtime is my favorite, and quite an extraordinary achievement in some ways. They built a huge facsimile of a Paris street and a fully working office block. I found that one the most accessible of all his movies for me.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

  2. #2527
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I had actually never seen any Tati movies until I picked up a complete box set last year. I found some of the humour a bit of an acquired taste, yet it was always well executed and often quite clever.

    I struggled with some of the earlier movies like Mon Oncle and Mr Hulots Holiday. Traffic is good but Playtime is my favorite, and quite an extraordinary achievement in some ways. They built a huge facsimile of a Paris street and a fully working office block. I found that one the most accessible of all his movies for me.
    Yeah, from what I gather on Wikipedia, Playtime is considered Tati's masterpiece. It was on some list of greatest movies ever made or whatever.

    Trafic struck me as a bit "artsy fartsy" but not obnoxiously so, the way you get with someone like Fellini, Godard, or Antonioni. Trafic at least has a plot to it.

  3. #2528
    Finally saw the original Japanese Gojira. Things that surprised me:
    * How carefully and slowly they revealed the monster
    * How it's actually as much of a love story as a Kaiju story
    * How blatantly it attacks nuclear testing
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

  4. #2529
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Finally saw the original Japanese Gojira. Things that surprised me:
    * How carefully and slowly they revealed the monster
    * How it's actually as much of a love story as a Kaiju story
    * How blatantly it attacks nuclear testing
    Yeah, there's a lot of stuff in that picture that got cut from the US released Godzilla: King Of All Monsters version. As I recall, there's a scene where a woman makes a crack about having survived either Hiroshima or Nagasaki (I forget which).

  5. #2530
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    if yer a Merc, its supposed to be trunk lids were you born in Britain?
    10 years of watching Top Gear will do that to you.

  6. #2531
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,006
    Kung Fu (TV series 72-75)

    All three seasons are on Amazon Prime now and they look fantastic.

    My favorite 70s show!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  7. #2532
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    6,141
    ^ One of my faves as well. I've been intending to get the complete series on DVD or Blu-Ray.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  8. #2533
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,786
    As a kid, it was with great anticipation to watch the next Kung Fu show. Loved it as a pre-teen.

  9. #2534
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,287
    Skyscraper

    The Rock has solidified himself as the premiere action star today. Nothing new here, but still a fun action thriller.
    Neve Campbell is aging quite nicely too!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  10. #2535
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,331
    Kung Fu was great! I watched every one back in the day
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  11. #2536
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Skyscraper

    The Rock has solidified himself as the premiere action star today. Nothing new here, but still a fun action thriller.
    Neve Campbell is aging quite nicely too!

    I found it a struggle to finish, was not impressed even in a big, dumb no-brainer action movie kind of way. I mean, when your expectations are low and you are still disappointed...

    Now Rampage I enjoyed a lot more. A similar big dumb action movie, but for me the giant ape was fully realised as a character, and I felt that the relationship between him and Johnson's character was quite believable and even touching. Plus a nice scenery chewing performance from Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

    Slightly OT, but another film from a few years back that was critically lambasted as derivative of Alien and similar movies was the sci fi movie Life, but I found it thoroughly entertaining, very well made and incredibly tense.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

  12. #2537
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,006
    Heavens Gate (1980)

    3 hour plus uncut version of Michael Ciminos box office disaster that tainted the rest of his career.

    Despite its many flaws, I still like this flick.

    Beautiful to look at and an amazing cast. I only just noticed Mickey Rourke in it!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  13. #2538
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Heavens Gate (1980)

    3 hour plus uncut version of Michael Ciminos box office disaster that tainted the rest of his career.

    Despite its many flaws, I still like this flick.

    Beautiful to look at and an amazing cast. I only just noticed Mickey Rourke in it!
    I remember being real confused with this one, but liked it too. I'll have to watch it again...just for that cast alone!

    Chris, I think you may be interested in a movie from last year I recommended to Lou called Summer of '84. Goonies meets Stand By Me meets Disturbia. It's one of my favorite thrillers from last year. I know you appreciate thrillers...this may be a winner for you. First 2/3 has an "I've seen this before" vibe, but the last 1/3 is where it shines. Dark and ballsy!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  14. #2539
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I remember being real confused with this one, but liked it too. I'll have to watch it again...just for that cast alone!

    Chris, I think you may be interested in a movie from last year I recommended to Lou called Summer of '84. Goonies meets Stand By Me meets Disturbia. It's one of my favorite thrillers from last year. I know you appreciate thrillers...this may be a winner for you. First 2/3 has an "I've seen this before" vibe, but the last 1/3 is where it shines. Dark and ballsy!
    I'll check it out!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  15. #2540
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    First 2/3 has an "I've seen this before" vibe...
    That was my favorite part.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  16. #2541
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Heavens Gate (1980)

    3 hour plus uncut version of Michael Ciminos box office disaster that tainted the rest of his career.

    Despite its many flaws, I still like this flick.

    Beautiful to look at and an amazing cast. I only just noticed Mickey Rourke in it!
    I saw that probably about 10 years ago, it was shown on either Encore or Starz. Good movie, as I recall, though it really wasn't "my kinda picture".

    A few years after that movie came out, there was a picture called Irreconcilable Differences, which was a comedy that hinged on Drew Barrymore (this was just after ET) attempting to get her parents to divorce because they had "irreconcilable differences". Anyway, the father is a movie director, and there's a bit in the picture where they're talking about he was working on some sort of epic period picture where he dragged this cast and crew out to the middle of Montana or some place like that, made them wait like a week or more until the sunlight was "just right" to shoot this one scene. After I became familiar with the story of Heaven's Gate, I always reckoned that was a jab at Cimino, who apparently did the same kind of stuff while working on Heaven's Gate.

    That was kind of the movie that kinda put an end to big Hollywood studios letting their directors have too much control over the pictures they produced. And it also famously bankrupted United Artists, who had to be bailed out by MGM.

    BTW, this morning I finally finished watching La Strada, the classic Federico Fellini picture. I think this was the movie that I saw Anthony Quinn on TV talk about how he had a piece of the picture and his agent talked into selling it because "This movie isn't going anywhere". I think his comment summing up the upshot was "That SOB cost me millions!". And that's why you never give up "a piece" of whatever project that you're involved in (that and Donald Sutherland telling the producers of Animal House that he'd forgo a piece of the action in favor of getting paid his full usual salary for a picture).

    Anyway, I enjoyed La Strada. Depressing ending, a little bit, but good picture, I thought.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 03-18-2019 at 12:28 AM.

  17. #2542
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,787
    Watched Hitchcock tonight, and really enjoyed it. I know there are a few liberties taken (as always) but it was still very good. Once again I manage to convince my wife to watch a movie with Scarlett Johansson in it.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  18. #2543
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,006
    Watched Captain Marvel (2019) tonight at a beautiful little restored movie house in Bedford NY.

    They have a bar and can bring your drinks into the theater.

    Being a marvel fan, I liked the movie, although the lead actress should have been better.

    Looking forward to Endgame.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  19. #2544
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Watched Captain Marvel (2019) tonight at a beautiful little restored movie house in Bedford NY.

    They have a bar and can bring your drinks into the theater.

    Being a marvel fan, I liked the movie, although the lead actress should have been better.

    Looking forward to Endgame.
    gonna take my 8 year old daughter to see CM tomorrow
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  20. #2545
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,417
    I thought Captain Marvel was very well done, very enjoyable. Also saw Mortal Engine this weekend, extremely silly park your brain at the door movie about cities on wheels attacking each other, main attraction was Hugo Weaving chewing the scenery, it was ok.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  21. #2546
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,240
    Watched the recent remake of Suspiria last night. I can't compare it to the original, which I have yet to see, but I thought the remake was quite good.

  22. #2547
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    765
    Wonder Wheel--Woody Allen movie shot very much like a play in some regards about a young woman that goes to hide out at her father's place on Coney Island as her husband, who is in the mob, wants to kill her. Her and her father don't get along well, and neither do his present lady friend. Overall too much anger for me, and it just wasn't what I was expecting. Not recommendable but ymmv.

    The Great Escape--stars Steve McQueen and other notable actors at the time about captured Americans planning one of the largest escapes from a Nazi prisoner of war camp. It'd been a while since I'd seen it, but it's worthwhile still.

  23. #2548
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,417
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Wonder Wheel--Woody Allen movie shot very much like a play in some regards about a young woman that goes to hide out at her father's place on Coney Island as her husband, who is in the mob, wants to kill her. Her and her father don't get along well, and neither do his present lady friend. Overall too much anger for me, and it just wasn't what I was expecting. Not recommendable but ymmv.

    The Great Escape--stars Steve McQueen and other notable actors at the time about captured Americans planning one of the largest escapes from a Nazi prisoner of war camp. It'd been a while since I'd seen it, but it's worthwhile still.
    There were actually no Americans in the the real Great Escape and very few in the movie, McQueen & Garner, the bulk of the escapees were British with the balance made up of Canadians, Australians, Poles, and other Alllied non-American airmen.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  24. #2549
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,237
    Man did I love that movie as a kid. Steve McQueen was the shit! After watching The Great Escape I spent hours in my basement throwing a tennis ball against the wall and catching it
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  25. #2550
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Man did I love that movie as a kid. Steve McQueen was the shit! After watching The Great Escape I spent hours in my basement throwing a tennis ball against the wall and catching it
    And then Bullitt and The Getaway
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •