Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

  1. #2476
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,412
    It is very silly but kind of fun.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  2. #2477
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,744
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It is very silly but kind of fun.
    Kind of typical of the Wachowskis, for every brilliant moment there's a WTF right behind it. I really disliked how so many of the scenes are so dark or with a dark background, especially the big action sequences. Damn hard to figure out what is happening.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  3. #2478
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Watched the HBO doc Leaving Neverland last night.

    Michael Jackson's been having sleepovers with pre pubescent boys for most of his adult life.

    What do you think really happened?
    After watching the doc I think there is sufficient evidence that he was a Pedophile, especially if you also count the two previous victims that filed lawsuits. From the doc it appears fairly clear that the first one was eventually paid off, and the 2nd one was squashed by the testimony of the tow guys in the doc. The two guys in the doc present too much detail, not to be believed IMO. I thought the Oprah aftershow added some interesting perspective as well.

  4. #2479
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,779
    Guilty.

    Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  5. #2480
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,783
    Tonight we watched Our Kind Of Traitor, a pretty decent crime drama/thriller from 2016 based on a John le Carré novel. Good cast overall, but it's Stellan Skarsgård who steals the show. Well paced, and good scenery and score to boot. I enjoyed it.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  6. #2481
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,488
    The wife and I finally saw "Green Book" last night. Not sure that I would agree that it is best picture of the year, but we both enjoyed it for the most part.

  7. #2482
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    After watching the doc I think there is sufficient evidence that he was a Pedophile, especially if you also count the two previous victims that filed lawsuits. From the doc it appears fairly clear that the first one was eventually paid off, and the 2nd one was squashed by the testimony of the tow guys in the doc. The two guys in the doc present too much detail, not to be believed IMO. I thought the Oprah aftershow added some interesting perspective as well.
    I have not seen the doc and have not been following the story, but unless the kids at some point in their life decide to tell the truth in their own words I think the jury is still out. You can only form an opinion from such documentaries, but thats all it is...an opinion.

    I would throw into the mix the notion that the temptation for the parents to 'coach' the children to tell stories is a very real one, especially considering how much Jackson was worth back then.

    Plus the fact that Jackson never hid the fact that he had these 'sleepovers'. Of course he may just have been incredibly naive, which is entirely possible considering the bubble he lived in. The guy clearly never had any semblance of a normal life.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

  8. #2483
    Its possible M Jackson was just naïve and its also possible the sun won't come up tomorrow . Anything is possible , but most highly unlikely.
    Also its my understanding 2 of the boys tell their stories as adult men in the documentary. I am certain he was pedo.

  9. #2484
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,779
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The wife and I finally saw "Green Book" last night. Not sure that I would agree that it is best picture of the year, but we both enjoyed it for the most part.
    I have a totally positive opinion of the movie, found it fascinating. The lead characters we polar opposites, making the evolution of their relationship even more interesting. I enjoyed the movie fully. Did you find a slow or something else?

  10. #2485
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Its possible M Jackson was just naïve and its also possible the sun won't come up tomorrow . Anything is possible , but most highly unlikely.
    Also its my understanding 2 of the boys tell their stories as adult men in the documentary. I am certain he was pedo.
    Another bizarre MJ move was marrying Lisa Marie Presley.

    Did that stunt really fool anybody?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  11. #2486
    If there's a hell , let him burn in it. Evil piece of s**t.

  12. #2487
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,130
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Another bizarre MJ move was marrying Lisa Marie Presley.

    Did that stunt really fool anybody?
    I don't think she's "all there," either.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  13. #2488
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,744
    The story I heard was Scientology pushed Lisa Marie into the marriage. They wanted to get their hooks into his supposed fortune, unaware that he was careening into debt due to his lavish spending.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  14. #2489
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    They wanted to get their hooks into his supposed fortune, unaware that he was careening into debt due to his lavish spending.
    ...on noses.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  15. #2490
    Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    427
    ...and cleft chins.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

  16. #2491
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,412
    and skin bleaching
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  17. #2492
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    765
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post

    I would throw into the mix the notion that the temptation for the parents to 'coach' the children to tell stories is a very real one, especially considering how much Jackson was worth back then.

    Plus the fact that Jackson never hid the fact that he had these 'sleepovers'. Of course he may just have been incredibly naive, which is entirely possible considering the bubble he lived in. The guy clearly never had any semblance of a normal life.

    Granted Jackson wasn't "normal" in most of his adult behavior, but I don't know any grown men who would befriend children in the manner in which he did. Granted I don't know many parents that would allow such thing either at least without being highly chaperoned, unless they're a complete idiot. Most "normal" men in rock bands seem to want to befriend sexy women...


    I recently watched a two-part doc on ID TV called Children of the Snow. It was generally about the murder and disappearance for four children up in the Detroit, Michigan area, but also delved into a pedophile ring in the area too. Many of the men in that ring were very wealthy, one even owning a helicopter that would transport many of the male children to a "camp" on an island (I think) somewhere around that area where men would fly in and molest the kids. One of the wealthy men, was a multi-millionaire who left the country for Amsterdam before they actually trapped him and could bring him to justice. But they would distribute kiddie porn, etc. among whatever else, and they were trying to tie them to the four murders, but afaik never did get to the bottom of it.


    At any rate over the weekend, I watched the doc called G G Allin: All in the Family. I don't care much for punk nor the lifestyle, but it was an interesting doc that shed some light on the lead singer and his exploits.

  18. #2493
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I have not seen the doc and have not been following the story, but unless the kids at some point in their life decide to tell the truth in their own words I think the jury is still out. You can only form an opinion from such documentaries, but thats all it is...an opinion.

    I would throw into the mix the notion that the temptation for the parents to 'coach' the children to tell stories is a very real one, especially considering how much Jackson was worth back then.

    Plus the fact that Jackson never hid the fact that he had these 'sleepovers'. Of course he may just have been incredibly naive, which is entirely possible considering the bubble he lived in. The guy clearly never had any semblance of a normal life.
    The whole doc is two of the kids telling their story as adults. The parents and siblings are also interviewed.

  19. #2494
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Its possible M Jackson was just naïve and its also possible the sun won't come up tomorrow . Anything is possible , but most highly unlikely.
    Also its my understanding 2 of the boys tell their stories as adult men in the documentary. I am certain he was pedo.
    Yes, the whole doc surrounds the two boys / men's stories.

  20. #2495
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I have a totally positive opinion of the movie, found it fascinating. The lead characters we polar opposites, making the evolution of their relationship even more interesting. I enjoyed the movie fully. Did you find a slow or something else?
    I enjoyed it, but found it a bit clichéd in spots. It was basically an old fashioned on the road / buddie movie. Not that that is a bad thing, but there were just spots that I found slightly clichéd. I just am not sure that this it was worthy of Best Picture of the year.

    There is quite a bit of controversy over some of the content of the film from Shirley’s family who dispute his portrayal in the film. The story was written by Vallelonga’s son, basically from his point of view. Unfortunately both “Lip” and Shirley have passed away.

    Fun fact, not sure how many people are aware of this but “Lip” became an actor in his later years and appeared in the movies “Goodfellas”, “Donnie Brasco” and had a recurring role as Carmine Lupertazzi in “The Sopranos”. I had no clue it was the same guy.

  21. #2496
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Another bizarre MJ move was marrying Lisa Marie Presley.

    Did that stunt really fool anybody?
    They kind of glossed over that in the doc for the most part although one of the guys claims that Jackson told him that he would have to be involved in a fake marriage in order to protect his image. They did not really talk about Jackson's 2nd "wife" or his kids much either.

  22. #2497
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,779
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I enjoyed it, but found it a bit clichéd in spots. It was basically an old fashioned on the road / buddie movie. Not that that is a bad thing, but there were just spots that I found slightly clichéd. I just agm not sure that this it was worthy of Best Picture of the year.
    I respect your opinion but it's more than a typical buddy movie. It's a period of history in the South where the racisim was a rule. There relationship centered around the racism they faced and the transition in their relationship.

  23. #2498
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post

    At any rate over the weekend, I watched the doc called G G Allin: All in the Family. I don't care much for punk nor the lifestyle, but it was an interesting doc that shed some light on the lead singer and his exploits.
    I'm not sure I want to know more than I already do about GG Allin. I remember first hearing about him in the early 90's, about his onstage antics, about how he kept promising to kill himself onstage, on Halloween, but every year, October 31 would roll around, he'd be incarcerated, over some stunt he'd have pulled onstage (if you don't know what I'm talking about, trust me, you're better off not knowing).

    One year, at NEARfest, I think it was while we were waiting in one of the meet and greet lines, might have been Le Orme or Emerson, but I don't remember now, anyway, I saw a guy wearing a GG Allin shirt. When I told my friend Terri, I got the feeling just mentioning Allin's name made her skin crawl (and well it should).

  24. #2499
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I respect your opinion but it's more than a typical buddy movie. It's a period of history in the South where the racisim was a rule. There relationship centered around the racism they faced and the transition in their relationship.
    I haven't seen it, yet, but did wonder about the title. And then I saw a segment on CBS Sunday Morning about the book, The Negro Motorist Green-Book, which was just called "the green book" and from which the movie got its title. I don't know if they mention this in the movie but it was a travel guide for African-Americans so that they could find diners, shelter, and motels that served them, as well as towns that had sundown laws.

    I actually didn't have any interest in seeing the movie until I saw that segment.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  25. #2500
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I haven't seen it, yet, but did wonder about the title. And then I saw a segment on CBS Sunday Morning about the book, The Negro Motorist Green-Book, which was just called "the green book" and from which the movie got its title. I don't know if they mention this in the movie but it was a travel guide for African-Americans so that they could find diners, shelter, and motels that served them, as well as towns that had sundown laws.

    I actually didn't have any interest in seeing the movie until I saw that segment.
    sounds like one I need to see
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •