Thread: FEATURED CD: MIA - Transparencias

FEATURED CD: MIA - Transparencias

My personal favorite of the MIA albums...

Review from ProgArchives (Marcelo)
    Beside Crucis, Espíritu and La Máquina de Hacer Pájaros, MIA had the authentic progressive rock sound in the Argentinian 70's background. Really, MIA was more than a rock band: it was an independent project with many musicians participating in, doing their own productions and conforming an ensemble clasically oriented. We can see Lito Vitale in the line-up, who played keyboards in MIA when he was only 12 years old (actually, Vitale is a very well known keyboardist in Argentina, with a lot of non progressive but very good folk albums). "Transparencias", the first MIA performance, is a very enjoyable effort with many classical touches, complex arrangements, essentially instrumental. We can detect classical musicians and great prog bands influences, while the sound continues appearing fresh and original. One of the greatest albums of Latinamerica prog music. Some cd editions includes, like bonus track, a Vitale live piano concert.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm a bit ambivalent to this one. There's a certain sloppiness in places, and the "la-la-la"'ing tends to annoy me. Not to speak of the horridly out-of-tune voices on side 2 of the original album. I still think it was an interesting concept to have a large ensemble of partly multi-instrumentalist performers revolve instrumentation on different tracks, but I'm not quite convinced by its success here.

Cornonstipicum is absolutely awesome, though. It's as everything falls together there.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

i quite like this one myself, even if cornonstipicumis way better.

Quote Originally Posted by ske View Post
    i quite like this one myself, even if cornonstipicumis way better.
    Agreed, but this one is still really good as well

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

*MIA was more than a rock band: it was an independent project with many musicians participating in, doing their own productions and conforming an ensemble clasically oriented.*
    In fact, Músicos Independientes Asociados (MIA), was around 60 people!!.

I have no preference talking about their records: love them all! :-)

*Lito Vitale in the line-up, who played keyboards in MIA when he was only 12 years old (actually, Vitale is a very well known keyboardist in Argentina, with a lot of non progressive but very good folk albums). *

More info about Lito:
    http://www.litovitale.com.ar/
    Liliana, his sister, was an important part of the line up too:
    http://www.lilianavitale.com.ar/indexi.html

Great musicians, great music!!.

Excellent call!.
    Cheers!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

MIA is one of my favorite progressive band ever. Transparencia may not have qualities of Cornonstipicum but it is still a great album and definitely worth getting (11 out of 15)

You are listening here to the seeds of what will further blossom as the masterpiece Cornonstipicum.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Great album, though not quite as good as Cornonstipicum
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    the "la-la-la"'ing tends to annoy me.
    Not nearly as annoying as on some of the bonus tracks.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I love the 2CD "Archivos MIA (1974 - 1985)" set. Some cool previously unreleased material and video.

I only ever hear Chrno-Constipation ( Symph weenie thing, if I remeber well)... I'll check this out ASAIC
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I like all three of the MIA studio albums. This one does the classical-rock thing rather well, love the folkiness of Mágicos juegos... and the more eclectic, fusion-ish approach of Cornonstípicum.

The only other MIA-related albums I have in my collection are albums produced by Lito. I think he did one of the Magma albums as well as Nuevo Tango by La Vuelta, a fantastic and very underrated tango-influenced fusion disc from circa 1999. That one comes highly recommended by me (nice version of Astor Piazzolla’s “Libertango” plus some solid originals in a similar vein). I still have yet to hear the second La Vuelta disc.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Trampled Under Foot”-Led Zeppelin/Physical Graffiti

Weird. Just been playing this. The individual MIA CD releases have bonus tracks (or at least used to) that were compiled (or taken from) as an independant release which i don't see available anymore - 'Conciertos', which was best of an incredibly impressive lot.

I ,kind of liked what I heard with this album, but will not seek to own it
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thanks, Cozy. I have never heard of this band before. This album is pleasant enough but nothing groundbreaking. I will look for the other album Cornonstipicum.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I love the 2CD "Archivos MIA (1974 - 1985)" set. Some cool previously unreleased material and video.
    This is a little treasure!, a gem JKL IMHO!.

More info taken from Viajero Inmovil:
    *This terrific release comes in the shape of a double CD, and it includes several unreleased gems recorded in the studio, as well as some done live in concert. The set also features certain tracks which until now, hadn't seen the light of day on CD. Not only this: included is the only known filmed footage to exist of the members of such a legendary bunch. This 'rescue' took many years of painstacking labours, and the celluloid material found from the different phases of the ensemble, reflects the varied musical options offered by this great independent musical association, during its various incarnations. Released in a special double digi-pack.*
    http://www.viajeroinmovil.com/listfr...=97&search=MIA

T.C.
    Last edited by TCC; 02-16-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Progbear wrote:
    *The only other MIA-related albums I have in my collection are albums produced by Lito. I think he did one of the Magma albums as well as Nuevo Tango by La Vuelta, a fantastic and very underrated tango-influenced fusion disc from circa 1999. That one comes highly recommended by me (nice version of Astor Piazzolla’s “Libertango” plus some solid originals in a similar vein). I still have yet to hear the second La Vuelta disc.*

I have many of his albums by the cuartetos, quintetos and solo: excellent instrumental compendio of Jazz, Symphonic rock, Fusion/Folklore, Tango with great compositional and emotional developments; also, music for ballet, TV, etc..

http://www.myspace.com/litovitale/radio
    Site:http://www.litovitale.com.ar/indexi.html

Finally, check out Liliana Vitale, his sister: deep-emotional-folklore-etc.....great music!!.
    http://www.lilianavitale.com.ar/entrari.html

Enjoy!!.
    T.C.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.