Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kirsty MacColl: 'a scandously unsung talent'

Kirsty MacColl: 'a scandously unsung talent'

From the Sunday Times:

'a scandously unsung talent who, at the time of her tragic death, had so much left to give.'

And how!

They Don't Know; A New England; He's On The Beach'; Days; Titanic Days; The Butcher Boy. The list goes on ...... and on.

I loved the Tropical Brainstorm album. It wasn't until many years later that I found out she wrote Tracy Ullman's "They Don't Know".

I only know her from the most brilliant christmass song ever written "a fairytale of New York".
    Never delved into her solowork.

Interesting that she grew up the daughter of Ewan MacColl, and chose to make Pop music instead of Folk. I remember her as well regarded, but she never actually broke through in America.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I only know her from the most brilliant christmass song ever written "a fairytale of New York".
    Which was covered by Bap and Nina Hagen

Last edited by Rarebird; 07-02-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    That's all I'm familiar with too - excellent song.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    And she was a progressive music artist?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Interesting that she grew up the daughter of Ewan MacColl, and chose to make Pop music instead of Folk. I remember her as well regarded, but she never actually broke through in America.
    And why should the daughter of a folk artist not make pop music?

My dad played traditional jazz, and my music is everything, but not jazz in any form.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    And why should the daughter of a folk artist not make pop music?

My dad played traditional jazz, and my music is everything, but not jazz in any form.
    There's no law against it, but the tendency has been for Folk kids to follow in their parents footsteps. See Eliza Carthy, Rose Kemp, etc.

There's no law against it, but the tendency has been for Folk kids to follow in their parents footsteps. See Eliza Carthy, Rose Kemp, etc.
    Not every child follow in their parents footsteps. And even if, is there that much difference between folk and pop? Probably not more than between the music of J.S. Bach and his composing composing children.

Never heard a single note of her music.
    The Prog Corner

Then why post here? You can always look her up on YouTube.

I only know her from her work with the Pogues, but my god, what a voice.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    I loved the Tropical Brainstorm album. It wasn't until many years later that I found out she wrote Tracy Ullman's "They Don't Know".
    I'm not sure I ever knew that. But then, I never owned the Tracy Ullman record. Edit: Wiki says Kirsty sang backup on Tracy's version, and had to sing the "Bay-by!" because Tracy couldn't hit the note.

I haven't heard much of MacColl's music, but I have a vague memory that back in the late 80's or early 90's, she had a song that almost broke through, Stateside. Seems like I remember first hearing her name on like MTV or VH-1, but it was one of those things where the hype didn't quite work.

Later I remember reading that David Gilmour played on one of her records, and if I had more walking around money back in those days, I'd probably own at least that one record (I went through a phase where I was buying everything Gilmour played on, though I didn't actually get very far in that arena, though it is the reason why I own the last Berlin album).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 07-02-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    And she was a progressive music artist?

At least it's not another thread about Yes!

'There's A Guy Who Works Down the Chip Shop Who Swears He's Elvis' was Kirsty's second single in the U.K. And it's not a song about Elvis! She tells us the chip shop guy who swears he's Elvis is in fact 'a liar and I'm not sure about you'. I think that's a clever twist in what might just seem a jaunty pop song.

But Kirsty was more than just a hugely talented songwriter. She covered other people's material beautifully, two examples being The Kinks' 'Days' and the Beachboys' 'I Still Believe in You', which is just gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Not every child follow in their parents footsteps. And even if, is there that much difference between folk and pop? Probably not more than between the music of J.S. Bach and his composing composing children.
    I wasn't presenting it as some immutable law, I was talking in terms of likelihood. Exceptions are just that, exceptions. They don't determine high likelihood.

And yes, there is a huge difference between the Folk community and general Pop fandom. The Folk community is far more insular and fosters more of a family attitude. They rely on festivals and Folk Clubs, not radio airplay.

You can believe what you want, but Kirsty was a bit of an outlier. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    At least it's not another thread about Yes!
    Give it time.

Both made big steps away though-- Eliza Carthy has done pop/techno albums (and very traditional ones), and Rose Kemp seems much influenced by goth and PJ Harvey.

Give it time.
    no yes no thread!

From the Sunday Times:

'a scandously unsung talent who, at the time of her tragic death, had so much left to give.'

And how!

They Don't Know; A New England; He's On The Beach'; Days; Titanic Days; The Butcher Boy. The list goes on ...... and on.
    Am I correct when I think the Sunday Times reviewed her recently released Box Set "Days (1988-1991)"?
    Funny no one mentioned it yet: http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...oming-in-june/

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Both made big steps away though-- Eliza Carthy has done pop/techno albums (and very traditional ones), and Rose Kemp seems much influenced by goth and PJ Harvey.
    I haven't listened to all of Eliza's albums, or any recent, for that matter, but the ones I have are all broadly Folk and Folk Rock with some incorporating other elements as you suggest. As for Rose, she's pretty diverse with Folk Rock in the stew with what you mentioned, (along with Metal. ) If you'd like an example that hews closer to the parent, go with Tommy Makem's sons, all who work in the Folk idiom. There are likely more, but I'm not looking at my collection at the moment.

Loved her work with The Pogues, and didn't know she was married to Steve Lillywhite.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

From the Sunday Times:

And how!

Yes, indeed! I saw her a few times and she was excellent live, even when in a foul mood due some backstage bickering with the Student Union at Coventry 'Polytechnic'.

I enjoyed Tropical Brainstorm and was lucky to see a gig on the tour. I was gutted when she was killed later that year.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Yeah, Carthy did Red/Rice a few years back that consisted of a traditional album and one with a fair amount of electronica in it. She also did a 'pop' album for Warner, but I don't think it got the pop audience.

Her latest project, The Wayward Band, is brilliant - 'big band folk' in the style of Bellowhead, but not as cheesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    She also did a 'pop' album for Warner, but I don't think it got the pop audience.
    Not looking to hijack the thread, but was that the Angels & Cigarettes album? I have it, and it's brilliant. Don't think I'd call it Pop, as it's very moody. I'm not surprised it didn't click with that audience. But, as you point out, not a Folk album either.

Not looking to hijack the thread, but was that the Angels & Cigarettes album? I have it, and it's brilliant. Don't think I'd call it Pop, as it's very moody. I'm not surprised it didn't click with that audience. But, as you point out, not a Folk album either.
    Yes, that's the one. I haven't heard it for years as I lost it! Oddly, it showed up a few weeks ago when we were sorting out some old boxes of kids stuff. From what I've read, her attempt at working with a major label wasn't a good experience. I'm going to rip it now and have a listen.