Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 100 Greatest Songs Of This Century by Rolling Stone

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Touré:

“He serves on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominating Committee. He taught a course on the history of hip hop at the Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music.”

That explains a lot. What it doesn’t explain is why he has only one name.

“Remember, class, Friday we have quiz on Salt ‘n’ Pepa.”
    There is only one Touré, and he is now unfortunately deceased: Ali Farka Touré of Mali. And speaking of "great" albums of the 2000s, he released Savane in 2006 just before his death. Malian blues. Why isn't he on that list? The album got a 94 out of 100 on Metacritic. I suggest we add this song:

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I don't understand why anyone would be taken aback by this list. I'd be shocked if I agreed with 50 or 60 percent of anyone's top-100 list, let alone Rolling Stone magazine. I'm not shocked that I'm unfamiliar with many of the songs on this list, nor do I feel entirely unfulfilled that I don’t.

re: Kylie Minogue

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I would have to say her crowning achievement is shaking that pert little tush of hers around in the videos I've seen.
    Well, yeah, there is that. I just can't believe she's been doing it for 30 years now.

Kurt Loder. LOL. I can’t believe they didn’t get Downtown Julie Brown’s opinion too!
    The difference being that Kurt Loder is an actual journalist (he was actually writing for Rolling Stone back in the early 80's, way before he started doing MTV News), whereas Downtown Julie Brown was merely "on air talent" who hosted a dance music show and talked up a few videos once in awhile.

I think about the only "journalists" I see on that list that I recognize, besides Loder, are Anthony DeCurtis (the guy who, I believe, pegged Kurt Cobain as "his generation's John Lennon") and Cameron Crowe (the guy who wrote the liner notes to Frampton Comes Alive and Fast Times At Ridgemont High...also, Nancy Wilson's ex-husband).

And I also notice Courtney Love on the list of musicians. I've kinda eased up on Kurt Cobain, I still say he was only marginally talented (which is actually an upgrade from how I used to feel about it), but I do recognize the guy had some melodic sense and was clever enough to write a song called Rape Me, about how he felt about the success of his band, using the same chords of his most famous song (though played in a different order).

His widow, on the other hand, still annoys the frell out of me. I remain convinced we'd never have heard of her or her band if she hadn't married Kurt.

[QUOTE=The Dark Elf;818841]
    There is only one Touré, and he is now unfortunately deceased: Ali Farka Touré of Mali.

I'm gonna assume you think there's only one Presley too, right (actually, there's a musical family The Presleys, no relation to Elvis, who perform in Branson, Missouri, they have a show on the RFD channel, good if you like traditional country music).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Anthony DeCurtis (the guy who, I believe, pegged Kurt Cobain
    TMI!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Probably most of the songs submitted by some of these people didn’t make it to the list. It’s hard to believe that a Beyoncé song got enough votes to make #1 and The White Stripes got enough to make #3. I think As has sort of been alluded to already, I think this thing was fudged to list the songs RS wanted in the order they wanted. They also probably made sure at least one song each voter listed made the list so they didn’t feel their output was a complete waste of time.

Anthony DeCurtis (the guy who, I believe, pegged Kurt Cobain as "his generation's John Lennon")
    Well, that's laughable!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, that's laughable!
    I had the guy from Spin Doctors pegged.

I'm gonna assume you think there's only one Presley too, right (actually, there's a musical family The Presleys, no relation to Elvis, who perform in Branson, Missouri, they have a show on the RFD channel, good if you like traditional country music).
    Actually, no. I was being facetious. I was merely pointing to a Touré that mattered, musically-speaking. If you have a chance, listen to some of the collaboration between Touré and Ry Cooder from the album Talking Timbuktu. It's actually in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (if that matters at all).
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I had the guy from Spin Doctors pegged.
    Way TMI. Was he spinning when you pegged him?

So the greatest song of this century is "Crazy in Love" by Beyoncé?

I'm familiar with maybe 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    So the greatest song of this century is "Crazy in Love" by Beyoncé?

I'm familiar with maybe 15.
    I’ve never heard the greatest song of this century. I also still would not recognize Beyoncé if I passed her on the street.

I’ve never heard the greatest song of this century. I also still would not recognize Beyoncé if I passed her on the street.
    It isn't my favorite song from her (that would be "Sweet Dreams"), but I *have* heard it often. I suppose I see it as the song that established her as a artist in her own right, apart from Destiny's Child. And given that she's subsequently become one of the biggest-selling artists in the years since...sure, seems reasonable.

They're all on YT if there's any interest.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

She's a lot better looking than Adele. How do I know that? I googled her.

I also still would not recognize Beyoncé if I passed her on the street.
    Amazing. Gorgeous woman, and she's everywhere, including advertising. You live near the largest media center in the country, how can you not know what she looks like? Do you go through life with blinders on, and wearing a bucket of oats around your neck?

She was also in the 3rd Austin Powers film. Even if one hasn't seen the film (I certainly haven't) between the trailers and ads during that time, she was pretty easy to spot. And she performed for the Superbowl a couple of years ago.

She's probably one of the most recognizable pop figures around these days.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm compiling for my blog, my own Top 100 songs list of the 21st Century from 100 different artists (which I like to do with any of these lists, time permitting, as a REACT TO/Criticism).

I'm at 96 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Amazing. Gorgeous woman, and she's everywhere, including advertising. You live near the largest media center in the country, how can you not know what she looks like? Do you go through life with blinders on, and wearing a bucket of oats around your neck?
    LOL. But why should how close I live to NYC make a difference? They don’t have giant screens around here broadcasting MTV or whatever. I think she’s just very generic, that’s all. I wouldn’t recognize 99.9% of country singers either. Also, I do avoid most mass media though not all.

. At this point, I don't know whether to guffaw harder at the idea of someone in 2018 presumably with a computer, a smartphone, a TV or 2, and who is not legally blind, who lives in the NYC area, not knowing what Beyonce looks like; or the attempt to continue this schtick of claiming to know virtually nothing about popular culture [and sports] outside of a few progressive rock bands.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 07-03-2018 at 06:34 PM.

^ Yeah, because Beyoncé is constantly walking around, singing throughout the tristate area. There’s plenty of pop-culture with which I’m familiar, but most of it isn’t mainstream, and is not from recent decades. I actually think on PE, you and a couple of others are MUCH more tuned in to this lowest-common-denominator entertainment than most. We have one TV, and we’re not watching Entertainment Tonight and its ilk. Aren’t there a ton of New Country singers you’d never be at all familiar with? Me too, and Beyoncé might as well be one of them.

Trying to think of an equivalent analogy from the past....not knowing what Beyonce looks like in 2018 is more incredible than not knowing what Marilyn Monroe looked like or who she was back in the 50s/early 60s for an American male age 16-66.

TMI!
    Or as Sterling Archer would say, "PHRASING!"

She was also in the 3rd Austin Powers film.
    I was gonna bring up the Austin Powers thing. She basically pays homage to Pam Grier, Teresa Graves and Tamara Dobson all rolled (or is that roled?) into one. She looked hot in a wetsuit, in the scene where she, Austin and Mini Me sneak onto Dr. Evil's sub.

(Man, I know way too much stuff about blaxploitation movies!)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    There is only one Touré, and he is now unfortunately deceased: Ali Farka Touré of Mali. And speaking of "great" albums of the 2000s, he released Savane in 2006 just before his death. Malian blues. Why isn't he on that list? The album got a 94 out of 100 on Metacritic. I suggest we add this song:

I can't resist posting this amazing song by Ali Farka Toure,off his The Source album.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Trying to think of an equivalent analogy from the past....not knowing what Beyonce looks like in 2018 is more incredible than not knowing what Marilyn Monroe looked like or who she was back in the 50s/early 60s for an American male age 16-66.
    I doubt it, since Beyoncé is “aimed” at a much younger, predominantly “urban” audience, as in the demographic that the “urban” radio format is aimed at. I’m not really at all in that demographic.