Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Those 70's Triple Bills

I didn't start seeing concerts until '82, but I just saw this interesting triple bill from the '70s on a friend's Facebook wall:

Renaissance (headliners)
    10cc
    Kiss

Sunshine Inn, Asbury Park, March 29, 1974

Sunshine.jpg
    Last edited by paythesnuka; 07-01-2018 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Grammar
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    I didn't start seeing concerts until '82, but I just saw this interesting triple bill from the '70s on a friend's Facebook wall:

Renaissance (headliners)
    10cc
    Kiss

Sunshine Inn, Asbury Park, March 29, 1974

I
    would have left after the first band.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Joey seemed to have been into a lot of stuff that was most definitely approved by the punk cognoscenti. I know I've read he was a big fan of the early 60's girl groups (and as such, was over the moon, at least initially when Phil Spector agreed to produce End Of The Century), and Herman's Hermits (that's why he's singing with a faux English accent on some of those early songs, because he's imitating Peter Noon!) It's also been said the chants on songs like Teenage Lobotomy and Blitzkrieg Bop were inspired by Saturday Night by The Bay City Rollers!
    He loved The Wombles single, 'Remember You're A Womble' too. Really!
    I love his fake British accent, when I first heard the Ramones I'd been so used to hearing British singers trying to sound American, it was quite a novelty. I REALLY love Joey's voice, he's one of my favourite singers. Particularly endearing is his Anglo-inflection on the line "And oh I don't know why" from Judy Is A Punk

That's the one. I kind of liked City Boy, but Lake bored the shit out of me - so much that I found myself admiring the lead singer's dental work.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I
    would have left after the first band.
    And I would have come late.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

What was 10cc like live? Godley and Creme with a backup band?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Why would you think 10cc was just Godley & Creme? It was the other two who were responsible for their big hits.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Ya know, this brings up an interesting point, and I realize I'm asking for trouble here, but anyway:

I saw an interview with Gene Simmons once, where he's talking about how some bands were better onstage than on record, and vice versa. He used the example of 10cc as a band that probably were better in the studio than they were onstage. I'm, not a really a 10cc fan, and I really only know a few of their songs, but I've always been curious to know if that was true, if they were able to translate their music into a live setting that "worked" as well as the studio versions.

Ya know, this brings up an interesting point, and I realize I'm asking for trouble here, but anyway:

I saw an interview with Gene Simmons once, where he's talking about how some bands were better onstage than on record, and vice versa. He used the example of 10cc as a band that probably were better in the studio than they were onstage. I'm, not a really a 10cc fan, and I really only know a few of their songs, but I've always been curious to know if that was true, if they were able to translate their music into a live setting that "worked" as well as the studio versions.
    I only saw 10 CC twice and that was in the early 00's, and they were quite a surprise, precisely because I didn't expect them to be good on stage....
    But TBH, they were both times excellent and managed to do all their hits live on stage in a form very close to the studio original, and still had a good presence on stage

Maybe GS was right about 70's 10 CC (but wrong three decades later), but then again, can GS and his mega-Kiss shows be a trustworthy person for such a statement?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

If my memory is right, County Stadium had Blackfoot, April Wine, Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Maybe GS was right about 70's 10 CC (but wrong three decades later), but then again, can GS and his mega-Kiss shows be a trustworthy person for such a statement?
    Well,I think he was talking about how certain bands, in theory, were never able to translate the energy of their live show to the studio, or whatever. You always hear people talk about how "terrible" the Grateful Dead's albums supposedly were, for instance. I think Gene's insinuation was that maybe Kiss were a better live band than they were in the studio, which I don't necessarily agree with, and he was trying to suggest that for other bands, it might have been the other way around.

Another example is somethign I heard John Entwistle say once. He said "Maybe The Beatles made better records us, but we could blow them off the stage!". True?! The Who are typically described as one of the best live bands ever. But were they better onstage than The Beatles? I haven't heard much in the way of live recordings from The Who from the time frame when the Beatles were still a functioning live band. Is Thunderfingers assertion true? Were The Who of 64-66 a better live band than The Beatles? Or is he talking about the later Who, say Tommy era and later, versus The Beatles (which really isn't fair, because, The Beatles stopped playing live after 66). How do you even quantify such a statement in the first place?!

Aerosmith/Foghat/Ted Nugent

Jethro Tull/Robin Trower/Rick Derringer

John Miles / Manfred Mann's Earth Band / Gary Wright (1977)
    Boz Scaggs / Fleetwood Mac / The Eagles (1976)
    John Miles / Dave Mason / Elton John (1976)
    Little River Band / Heart / The Eagles (OK this was 1980)
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Not 70s, but rather 1969.

Fillmore East: Opener: Led Zeppelin
    Middle Band: Iron Butterfly
    Headliner: Original 4 member Traffic
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

I saw an interview with a couple of the guys form Iron Butterfly once on TV, and they both seemed to be flabbergasted that, once upon a time, Led Zeppelin once (or maybe more than once) went on in front of them!

Cobo Hall Detroit, early 1972

Gentle Giant opened then
    The Eagles then
    Yes

I saw an interview with a couple of the guys form Iron Butterfly once on TV, and they both seemed to be flabbergasted that, once upon a time, Led Zeppelin once (or maybe more than once) went on in front of them!
    Zeppelin and The Who both went on those big "festival" tours of the US, with several bands all doing short sets. Both pretty much blitzkrieged their way through the competition. "Oh, no way am I going onstage after that!" I read an interview with John Paul Jones where he said that both bands had the same strategy: American bands would tune up onstage and then ease their way into a set. The Brits would go on with everything in tune and hit the first song as hard as possible, never letting up. Vanilla Fudge and Iron Butterfly were both victims. Would you go onstage after "My Generation" or "How Many More Times"? I think near the end of that short era The Doors drew both bands within the space of a month. It did not go well for the American side either time.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

No disrespect, Geez, but I think you're misremembering this one. I was sure you couldn't have seen the four-man Traffic in 1969--Dave Mason was long gone by then--so I did some digging. The January 1969 FE shows where Zeppelin supported Iron Butterfly were advertised as the Iron Butts headlining, then Zeppelin, with the Move opening. In the event, the Move cancelled, so the actual opener was Porter's Popular Preachers, a gospel act. I'm guessing that you're conflating this in your memory with the April 1968 FE shows where Traffic, possibly including the temporarily rejoined Dave Mason, headlined over Blue Cheer and Iron Butterfly. Ring a bell?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Zeppelin and The Who both went on those big "festival" tours of the US, with several bands all doing short sets. Both pretty much blitzkrieged their way through the competition. "Oh, no way am I going onstage after that!" I read an interview with John Paul Jones where he said that both bands had the same strategy: American bands would tune up onstage and then ease their way into a set. The Brits would go on with everything in tune and hit the first song as hard as possible, never letting up. Vanilla Fudge and Iron Butterfly were both victims. Would you go onstage after "My Generation" or "How Many More Times"? I think near the end of that short era The Doors drew both bands within the space of a month. It did not go well for the American side either time.
    I think the Who went on the package tours of many bands doing 15 minute sets, while Zep started in the Fillmore era of American bands tuning onstage as long as they wanted and taking time to get going. Two different eras, although only a year or two apart.

A lot of these are just headliners with opening acts. What the OP was talking about was the whole substratum of '70s rock that barnstormed the USA (especially the midwest) on package tours without really reaching top status. Mahogany Rush, early REO Speedwagon, pre-Toys Aerosmith, Ted Nugent/Amboy Dukes, Rush, early KISS, pre-Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac, etc. etc.

This was after the bigger bands were already starting to headline arenas, and a lot of these bands toured college towns and secondary markets endlessly. REO Speedwagon have said that they actually were able to support themselves this way without having any significant record sales.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I think the Who went on the package tours of many bands doing 15 minute sets, while Zep started in the Fillmore era of American bands tuning onstage as long as they wanted and taking time to get going. Two different eras, although only a year or two apart.
    There's a bit of interview footage in The Kids Are Alright, where Moon talks about The Who doing the Murray The K tours, where they'd get like 10-15 minutes. That's basically how they broke into the US market, by working their way up the bills on those sort of tours.
    REO Speedwagon have said that they actually were able to support themselves this way without having any significant record sales.
    You mean back when they were still a decent boogie band (or so I'm told), before Kevin Cronin turned them into an AC act, with High Infidelity and the subsequent records.

You mean back when they were still a decent boogie band (or so I'm told), before Kevin Cronin turned them into an AC act, with High Infidelity and the subsequent records.
    REO Two (with Cronin) is a good early 70's rock album, as is the followup Ridin' the Storm Out with Michael Murphy temporarily replacing Cronin. Their debut has Terry Luttrell, later of Starcastle, on vocals but I don't think it is as good.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    REO Two (with Cronin) is a good early 70's rock album, as is the followup Ridin' the Storm Out with Michael Murphy temporarily replacing Cronin. Their debut has Terry Luttrell, later of Starcastle, on vocals but I don't think it is as good.
    Yeah, I always heard the 70's era stuff was supposed to be pretty good, but I don't think I've ever heard much of it. I'm gonna have to rectify that one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No disrespect, Geez, but I think you're misremembering this one. I was sure you couldn't have seen the four-man Traffic in 1969--Dave Mason was long gone by then--so I did some digging. The January 1969 FE shows where Zeppelin supported Iron Butterfly were advertised as the Iron Butts headlining, then Zeppelin, with the Move opening. In the event, the Move cancelled, so the actual opener was Porter's Popular Preachers, a gospel act. I'm guessing that you're conflating this in your memory with the April 1968 FE shows where Traffic, possibly including the temporarily rejoined Dave Mason, headlined over Blue Cheer and Iron Butterfly. Ring a bell?
    No offense taken, and frankly, while my long term memory is far superior to my "why tf did I get up from this chair" memory, it's far from infallible. I do know that Mason was definitely at the gig I attended, and I know I would remember if I had seen the Move (who I never got to see unfortunately), so it could just be conflation masturbation.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I know I would remember if I had seen the Move
    And there's another one you remind me about, as I've never really heard The Move. Ya know, when I first heard of them, it was in connection with ELO (as I imagine it may have been for a lot of Americans). In fact, for quite a few years, I didn't know how important The Move was, beyond being the band that led to ELO. I somehow didn't know they had influenced bands like Cheap Trick (who covered a couple Move songs) or Kiss (Paul Stanley once said he based Firehouse on Fire Brigade) until sometime in the 90's.

I really need to get some Move CD's one of these days.