Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steve Wilson Yes remixes on vinyl

The Steve Wilson Yes remixes on vinyl

I've not heard any of the remixes on vinyl as yet. Now that they can all be purchased together, can any of you vinyl listeners like myself, give me a heads up on the sound? What do you like and dislike about them? I like the idea of having them all together like this.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Personally, I don't like re mixes. You get one chance to get it right, so get it right the first time. I see music as art, and remixing makes as much sense to me as a painter re painting his painting 40 years later. While yes... it can be done, but both a recording and a painting mark a point and place in time.... right across the boards.

An album mixed in 1971 and pressed on vinyl marks a point in time and what that band sounded like at that time. That includes not just the musicians and the instruments they were using, but also what they recorded upon (reel to reel) and how, what and where the tracks were mixed on an authentic mixing board from that era.

The producer and engineer that were hearing, mixing and making decisions in the control room were hired and should be respected. Maybe they wanted it to sound a certain way and not completely cleaned up and changed sonically. Music does "mix" together, much like paint. There are layers and textures.

I get that the "modern way" is to isolate every track, compress it and turn it up in the mix so every track can be heard clearly etc. Good in theory, yes, but not in art.
    Sound can create blends and a re mixer like Wilson is going to give it "his take" and not Offord's for instance.

Trying to re write history doesn't work. History is what it is, and trying to make something authentic to a place in time more "now" completely takes the art or music out of context.

It's ok for things not to be "modernized".
    Last edited by Skullhead; 06-26-2018 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post

I get that the "modern way" is to isolate every track, compress it and turn it up in the mix so every track can be heard clearly etc. Good in theory, yes, but not in art.
    Sound can create blends and a re mixer like Wilson is going to give it "his take" and not Offord's for instance.

Trying to re write history doesn't work. History is what it is, and trying to make something authentic to a place in time more "now" completely takes the art or music out of context.

It's ok for things not to be "modernized".
    Fair point, but
    Wilson is not trying to re write history. The main thing for him is
    the surround mix, and the stereo mix is a bonus, and not to be seen as
    the final version of that album. The original mix is also included as a flat transfer.
    The great thing for me regarding Wilsons way to do it is that he does not compress the music.
    And does not let anyone else master the disc, he did that with one of the Tull titles and it was compressed to shit.

Wilson regarding mastering the music (https://www.digitaltrends.com/featur...-cannot-erase/)

"Q: I’ve spoken with many an artist who’s said, “I turned in my final approved master, and what I got back on the back end is not what I heard in studio at all.” You’ve taken control of the mastering stage yourself and you don’t have to give anyone instructions about what to do anymore, right?

A: The simple answer is I don’t have any of my work mastered. It goes straight from my mixes — flat transfers onto the disc. And that applies to the mixes I do for the Yes reissues, the XTC reissues, the Jethro Tull reissues, and of course my own work too. And it’s amazing how many of the musicians I speak to, when I say to them, “I don’t want this mastered” — they’re initially shocked. But then they understand. Why would you need this mastered? You’ve approved the masters and you think the mixes sound great, so why would you not just release them as they are?
    Now, I’m not saying that’s right for everyone, because some people need or want that extra pair of ears to check what they’ve done. But I’m at the stage now where I’m 100 percent confident that what I produce out of my studio is exactly the way I want people to hear it. I actually bypass mastering completely now."

Personally I've bought a fair bit of vinyl in recent years and found the sound and pressing quality of LP's varies quite a lot. I'm tempted to go for the Yes box set but when I think about it its only the packaging with updated sleeves etc that I really want. I already have my original LP's and all the SW cd/blu ray mixes and I'm sure the vinyls won't sound any better. I did e mail Burning Shed asking if I could just by the packaging - they not surprisingly said no....

Update: I see that on Amazon UK the price has gone from £94 to £132! Although a trader is selling for £110 on E Bay. I think that answers my question, I'll just look out for an unboxing video on YouTube!
    Last edited by Steve983; 06-26-2018 at 03:41 AM.

I'll take the plunge.
    I like all the SW remixes. Especially The Yes Album (the others were already perfect...)
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I'll take the plunge.
    I like all the SW remixes. Especially The Yes Album (the others were already perfect...)
    If nothing else, for the sake of comparison. And if these mixes aren't so compressed, I think they would be worth a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    while artists today struggle to afford to make an album, not even attempting to make a living in music.
    Hey, I resemble that remark.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I've not heard any of the remixes on vinyl as yet. Now that they can all be purchased together
    They can only be purchased together. Wilson's remixes were only released on CD previously. This is their first vinyl release.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Nothing is all or nothing. In my opinion, Steven Wilson's remixes of K.C. -Lizard and J.T.-Aqualung are resplendent, eye-opening, amazing. However Steven Wilson's ELP remixes are Meh.

I haven't heard S.W.'s YES remixes yet. I'd like know if any of the wax remixes approach Aqualung/Lizard ear gold.

There's also something profoundly "un-progressive" about continuing to buy music from 1971, over and over in dozens of different formats and mixes, while artists today struggle to afford to make an album, not even attempting to make a living in music.
    I don't necessarily agree with this. I just purchased another Das Lied von Der Erde with the London Philharmonic on CD. I am almost embarrassed to say how many versions I have of this piece at this point, but this last one might be my absolute fav out of the whole lot. Could I have chosen another disc with a composer I have never heard before? Of course, but its my money, my time, I adore the piece, it makes me happy, and ultimately I don't care what other people think of my buying habits. I don't think of myself as necessarily "unprogressive", but if buying yet another version of Mahler, Sibelius, or even Tull makes me, then so be it, but I don't really give a ****.

Also, if I'm reading between the lines here, there seems to be a bit of guilt sprinkled upon people who buy another Yes remaster vs something new, but personally I don't think either one has anything to do with the other.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    They can only be purchased together. Wilson's remixes were only released on CD previously. This is their first vinyl release.

Henry
    You know Henry, I like to update my Yes vinyl sort of on a regular basis. I don't mind bringing in a nice clean new copy of the oldest album I have. This would also be a great opportunity to update their best imho. Still, I'm quite intrigued at hearing the mixes on vinyl.

If you really want to hear something special, spend some dosh and find the UK Plum pressings of the early albums. Nothing in the world sounds "better" than those.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    If you really want to hear something special, spend some dosh and find the UK Plum pressings of the early albums. Nothing in the world sounds "better" than those.
    SBB, that's what's wrong with the world today. Too many choices.

SBB, that's what's wrong with the world today. Too many choices.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

There is SO MUCH great music in the world, with more being released every day.

I have a few favorite books too. But I don't read them over and over to the exclusion of anything else.
    There is SO MUCH great music in the world... but given the choice is between listening to 0.01% of it all, or 0.015% of it all, I'm not certain this is a helpful way of looking at the situation.

I continue to investigate new music and buy new albums, but I also go back to the music I know. And with the music I know, sometimes that's just listening again to the albums, but sometimes it is also investigating alternative versions (live, re-recordings, remasters, remixes). There is much joy in discovering new music, but there's also a different kind of joy in the close analysis of something that comes from re-visiting it over and over. There's music I've been listening to for a quarter of a century that still delivers new revelations.

Henry

PS: Not that I have any interest at all in getting this release.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    There is SO MUCH great music in the world... but given the choice is between listening to 0.01% of it all, or 0.015% of it all, I'm not certain this is a helpful way of looking at the situation.

I continue to investigate new music and buy new albums, but I also go back to the music I know. And with the music I know, sometimes that's just listening again to the albums, but sometimes it is also investigating alternative versions (live, re-recordings, remasters, remixes). There is much joy in discovering new music, but there's also a different kind of joy in the close analysis of something that comes from re-visiting it over and over. There's music I've been listening to for a quarter of a century that still delivers new revelations.

Henry

PS: Not that I have any interest at all in getting this release.
    What? I go forth with out your blessing

I just got my shipping notification from Amazon that my box has shipped and will be here tomorrow. Yes, I have an entire lengthy shelf with nothing but every different version of every Yes LP. I used to have more, but that's another story. It's my money and my time. I love all my precious-es.

Does anyone know what happened to all those Japanese LP pressings from the 70s and 80s? I never see any used. I know a lot were sold as I sold many in my stores, but I don't see any these days, and I haunt many thrift stores and estate sales every week.

^ I can't speak to Yes albums, 'cos I'm not looking for them, but there are lots of Prog-Rock Japanese LP issues from that era on ebay at any given time. (Mostly overpriced, imo.)

^ I wanna buy from people who don't know what they've got.

I've not heard any of the remixes on vinyl as yet. Now that they can all be purchased together, can any of you vinyl listeners like myself, give me a heads up on the sound? What do you like and dislike about them? I like the idea of having them all together like this.
    I've seen nothing in the detailed description for this remix boxset on vinyl which makes it any different than the digital version since it's the same remix.
    But the reviewer in this review released June 26, 2018 used the terms warm and full since it's on vinyl.
    If the digital remixes are simply transferred to vinyl and vinyl is just the media being played, I don't know what magically happened to all of a sudden make them warm and full because they are now available on vinyl. I've read nothing about analog masters, remastering, etc.
    I've been buying some albums on vinyl, both new releases and reissues, so I have an interest and curiousity of updated vinyl releases.
    But I'm a bit confused as to the official description on YesWorld and other retail outlets, which offer but a minimum description detailing the "vinyl" version.
    Just my thoughts, perhaps someone here has more information, and would appreciate all input.
    Yes Steven Wilson Remixes on Vinyl Review:
    http://classicrockradio.co.uk/yes-th...-rhino-review/
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I've seen nothing in the detailed description for this remix boxset on vinyl which makes it any different than the digital version since it's the same remix.
    But the reviewer in this review released June 26, 2018 used the terms warm and full since it's on vinyl.
    Didn't you know? Everything on vinyl is automatically magically warm and full.

AFAIK, they are the same mixes as previously released. It must be a new mastering.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    If the digital remixes are simply transferred to vinyl and vinyl is just the media being played, I don't know what magically happened to all of a sudden make them warm and full because they are now available on vinyl. I've read nothing about analog masters, remastering, etc.
    Maybe he just finished a plate of chicken wings and was referring to his belly?

Surprise...the Yes remixes showed up on Apple Music this morning. Perhaps they’ll be a standalone cd release?

Also, All the long songs (CTTE, Tales, and GOD) are split into 3-5 tracks...kinda cool

Quote Originally Posted by tozo View Post

Also, All the long songs (CTTE, Tales, and GOD) are split into 3-5 tracks...kinda cool
    wonder if that is a ploy to increase streaming revenue? does Spotify et al have any sort of variation in the pay scheme for long songs(or really short songs)? could you essentially double your streaming pay out if you doubled the song count on a album by splitting each song into 2 segments?

That’s a interesting idea..even the reprise of We Have Heaven now stands on its own!. although twice of next to nothing is still pretty bad!
    Last edited by tozo; 06-29-2018 at 02:30 PM.