Thread: Rest in peace, Fred Chalenor

Rest in peace, Fred Chalenor

Fred Chalenor died on June 23, after a long and hard bout with early onset Alzheimer's. He was a wonderful bassist, composer, band-leader and person.

Fred did one or more of these musical duties for such Wayside / Cuneiform favorites as Caveman Shoestore, Curlew, Wayne Horvitz's Zony Mash, Hughscore, Pigpen, Slow Music (with Robert Fripp & Hector Zazou), The Tone Dogs and others.

He will be greatly missed by his friends and fans of creative rock and beyond.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

This is very sad news. I was not aware he was struggling against Alzheimer's, which is even more disturbing given his age. I own many of his records, like Hughscore, Caveman Shoestore, and Curlew. I am going to play some of it in his memory today. Rest in peace.

Wow, this is a shock.

Terrific bassist. Sad loss!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Totally shocked by this. So young , so talented. Only met him once but he was a super nice guy ttoo. RIP.

Death at 62 after a "long bout" with Alzheimer's is a truly tragic way to have to go. But sadly we don't get to choose. Fred was a crucial player on Hughscore's Delta Flora, one of my favorite CDs of all time. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Totally shocked by this. So young , so talented. Only met him once but he was a super nice guy too. RIP.
    He was indeed a super nice guy; did you meet him at Progman Cometh?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Banned
    Damn! RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    He was indeed a super nice guy; did you meet him at Progman Cometh?
    Yes, we had a chat about his beginnings in music and how he used to play covers of various Canterbury scene 'standards'. We later exchanged some e-mails, though not in a long time. He'd said he might still have some old transcriptions of those tunes and I was interested in those, but I never got to see those, sadly. They were probably in a dusty cardboard box somewhere and I didn't have the heart to keep hassling him about them !
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

He was a friend.

I did some playing with him in the last year or so - him on bass, me on sax and clarinet.

This is really sad.

Very sorry, John. I didn’t know him super well and only really met him in Seattle in 2002, but he was lots of fun and truly nice.

My condolences.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Death at 62 after a "long bout" with Alzheimer's is a truly tragic way to have to go.
    This.

Everything I heard by him was good, much of it great and some of it extraordinary. I remember getting Super Sale by Caveman Shoestore on release in 2005, a year when I bought a -LOT- of records. It's still one of my very faves from that year. Hyper-creative, contemporary rock/pop music unlike anything else I'd heard.

Ach, the best ones are going early.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

RIP
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Really sad. Fred was one of my favorite bass players. I saw him twice with Zony Mash and it was great. So melodic and beautiful, but also funky and grooving as hell. Check out the opening of his bass solo on Prudence RSVP from Zony Mash's Cold Spell album. Perfect. I have a bunch of stuff with him playing on it. Zony Mash, Pigpen, Tone Dogs, the Shoestore and Hughscore stuff, Land, Curlew. All killer.

I actually had a "dream band" of me, Fred, Trey Gunn and Nicky Skopelitis writing and playing together. That would have been fun.