Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Signature Drum patterns

While it may not necessarily be considered a "signature" of his, I was always quite appreciative of Chris Maitland's drum work on PT's Stop Swimming. Subtle, yet extremely active for such a mellowish song.

Stop Swimming

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by geek sublime View Post
    While it may not necessarily be considered a "signature" of his, I was always quite appreciative of Chris Maitland's drum work on PT's Stop Swimming. Subtle, yet extremely active for such a mellowish song.

Stop Swimming

Jamie
    Spot on! Coincidentally, I just heard this song yesterday. Gavin Harrison may be virtuosic (and one of my all-time faves), but Chris Maitland is criminally underrated/underappreciated.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

BJ Wilson, Procol Harum... his orchestral style of drumming is certainly recognizable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROYDH_3kKpc

Charlie Watts... also instantly recognizable most of the time.
    and I would also say that Ginger Baker has a clearly recognizable style of playing, busy but extremely pertinent to the song, busy and jazzy, but without going into that portentous overdrive that later characterized frenetic Billy Cobham style drumming in the fusion era.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgP7kfIwlE8

But I would also say that it was not just drummers, but most of the great musicians from that era who had a clearly defined style, perhaps because it was in many cases individually developed by them, not just b y formal instruction.
    Last edited by yoyiceu; 06-29-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Billy Cobham
    Tony Williams
    Alphonse Mouzon
    certainly have more than a few signature patterns in their repertoire
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Lucky Man
    Can't forget Lenny White, either.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    Can't forget Lenny White, either.
    Or Meg White.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Bill Bruford. "Trio."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Some of these seem more like signature songs than signature drum patterns. For example, I don't think Neil Peart plays (what I would consider) his signature drum pattern in Tom Sawyer, but maybe (I'd have to listen to it again). There's a certain ride pattern that I always think of as his signature pattern/quirk.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Some of these seem more like signature songs than signature drum patterns. For example, I don't think Neil Peart plays (what I would consider) his signature drum pattern in Tom Sawyer, but maybe (I'd have to listen to it again). There's a certain ride pattern that I always think of as his signature pattern/quirk.
    Good point I think there is all sorts in these names, some 'riffs' some one off great patterns. Re Tom Sawyer its those signature one hand sixteenths i wwas getting at. It was when I was listening to Carl Palmer s Decline and Fall with Atomic Rooster , I heard the germination of the Tarkus pattern and then also with the Tank rhythm as well that I got thinking about how people seem to have very distinct go to patterns.

Lucky Man
    Stewart Copeland

Lucky Man
    Michael Giles

Mitch Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    Good point I think there is all sorts in these names, some 'riffs' some one off great patterns. Re Tom Sawyer its those signature one hand sixteenths i was getting at..
    Ah, I see.
    <sig out of order>

Stewart Copeland
    Michael Giles

Mitch Mitchell
    What about them?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Christian Vander has some cymbal work that is remarkable and obviously his, with pull-offs and odd accents.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

one of my favorite patterns by Lenny White is how he rolls to the floor tom always at the perfect moment in the piece with power and flair.
    He may not be technically the best drummer ever, but he's my favorite out of all progressive electric music drummers
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Elvin Jones

My interpretation of the opening post for this thread is asking about more recent drum performances. Most of the posts here are pointing out notable drumming from quite some time ago. As for modern prog music, I think Marco's work on the Aristocrats is a good place to start if you are looking for modern innovative drumming. Also on the new record, The Sea Within, the tune Say Goodbye has some very interesting rhythms there.
    Nick DVG on the Big Big Train records - the Title track from The Underfall Yard comes to mind.
    Plenty of great licks on the Flying Colors records - particularly Second Nature.
    I could go on and On. There is a lot of innovative drumming going on these days. Check out Bennie Greb, you'll see a lot of him on YouTube.

But that was not what the original post asked. Nearly all are from "some time ago." And the question was about "signature" patterns, meaning associated with a specific drummer, not that the drummer is good or interesting. That's why I chose Vander, who you can easily tell from the way he plays cymbals, as well as some of his off-kilter odd-metered riffs. Just saying.

Recent debate with drummer that there are less distinct 'signature' patterns / grooves by drummers now.

Got me thinking

E.g Bonham - When the Levee Breaks

Bruford- opening to Heart of the Sunrise, Beelzebub, Hells Bells, Larks Tongues pt2, In the Dead of Night

Palmer- Eruption, Tarkus, Tank

Hiseman - Major Keys , War Dance

Collins- Apocolypse 9/8, Wot Gorilla

Simon Phillips - Space Boogie (Cobham)

Alan White - Changes

Mike Portnoy 6:00

Peart - Tom Sawyer

Terry Bozzio - US Drag

MIke Giles, Schizoid Man opening

Just a few of the top of my head...
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Bobby Caldwell: "Dancing Madly Backward"
    This one is absolutely correct..................

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    What about [Mike Giles & Mitch Mitchell] them?
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves
    An orchestral conception and a penchant for the triplet (particularly quarter-note triplets), instead of the usual equal division of the beat; Andy McCulloch took the triplet thing and ran with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves
    "Spanish Castle Magic," wherein he plays on the "and" of beat four; everyone else would've played on 4.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    This one is absolutely correct..................
    I had a little trouble finding this until I realized it was Captain Beyond, Dancing Madly Backwards (On A Sea Of Air)

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    What about them?
    Well, for starters Scott...

(LOL at me.)

They ALL belong in the rrhof...

...Copeland's work was alway the best reason I could come up with to enjoy The Police...

...Mitch always seemed to somehow manage to sound huge behind that hugest of sounds...

...and Michael Giles, perhaps the best of these three - a subjective issue, I realize - there are alot of things to be said, to be heard, but I'll simply say this: 21st Century Schizoid Man.

(Have to add, lol...

... really so enjoyed seeing Crimson this past fall, and that song in all it's glory, and yet three drummers, T-H-R-E-E could not do with the song what Mr. Giles did all those many years ago.)

Well, for starters Scott...

(LOL at me.)

They ALL belong in the rrhof...

...Copeland's work was alway the best reason I could come up with to enjoy The Police...

...Mitch always seemed to somehow manage to sound huge behind that hugest of sounds...

...and Michael Giles, perhaps the best of these three - a subjective issue, I realize - there are alot of things to be said, to be heard, but I'll simply say this: 21st Century Schizoid Man.

(Have to add, lol...

... really so enjoyed seeing Crimson this past fall, and that song in all it's glory, and yet three drummers, T-H-R-E-E could not do with the song what Mr. Giles did all those many years ago.)
    Sure. I get all of that.

What are their signature drum patterns?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Actually, any technical discussion of music should be welcome here. It's not often that we do it. And, I think many of us are musicians. I like talking like musicians talk and not how just "fans" talk. Fans can't be objective about what the musicians are doing so much, it's just how they like this or that.

Lucky Man
    Mr. Pearson is probably correct.