Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Favorite Psychadelic Song of All Time?

Great to revisit this thread. Some amazing suggestions, and I will go (again) with Translucent Carriages by Pearls Before Swine

'There are no certain answers and no time to understand / The goal's a changing paradise, a moment out of date'

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Great to revisit this thread. Some amazing suggestions, and I will go (again) with Translucent Carriages by Pearls Before Swine
    I agree 100%. Pearls Before Swine was about as psychedelic as folk music could possibly get and mighty creepy, too. The first two LPs are gems of psychedelia. I saw PBS in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, in 1972. The Use of Ashes LP had been released earlier and they were playing cuts from that record, but they also touched upon the first two as well. Tom Rapp was pretty funny with a lot of between songs banter. He introduced the Leonard Cohen number "Suzanne" with, "My goal in life is to have written this song."
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Don't know if it has been mentioned previously, but "I'm Losing You" from the Ecology album by Rare Earth is outstanding psychedelia at it's best for my money. Just under 11 minutes in length and it is emblematic of what Motown was turning to with The Temptations and other acts as they embraced Funkadelic.

Just revisiting this masterpiece...

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Thé Byrds-Topanga Windows

Unsung gem of acid-drenched poppiness.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Boring answer but Strawberry Fields Forever takes some beating

Yes - Then

The Yardbirds - Happenings Ten Years Time Ago
    This is in IMO a psychedelic masterpiece from 1966! Fantastic, and probably drug-induced lyrics about deja vu by the late Keith Relf, and one of only two studio recordings that feature guitar legends Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page on dual lead guitars. The very heavy and blistering guitar solo was far ahead of its time, and was a very important statement of where rock guitar was heading into the future. Also in my opinion, the Yardbirds were one of the greatest of the 1960's British Invasion bands that transformed from being blues based, then embrased psychedelia and moved on to what was then called heavy rock.

Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I agree 100%. Pearls Before Swine was about as psychedelic as folk music could possibly get and mighty creepy, too. The first two LPs are gems of psychedelia. I saw PBS in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, in 1972. The Use of Ashes LP had been released earlier and they were playing cuts from that record, but they also touched upon the first two as well. Tom Rapp was pretty funny with a lot of between songs banter. He introduced the Leonard Cohen number "Suzanne" with, "My goal in life is to have written this song."
    Use of Ashes is definitely my fave (though I'm aware most will prefer One Nation and Balakvala)

The rest of his stuff doesn't float my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Just revisiting this masterpiece...

Fantafuckingstic stuff.

Too bad the album isn't up to the same dimension.
    It's good, but this track stands out.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My contribution, given the UK brand is my favoured option:

https://youtu.be/QsTLgxvXmIo

Featuring some of the best lyrics ever:
    "and all your friends will laugh at her pathetic tits"
    Last edited by Mythos; 5 Days Ago at 12:54 AM.

As long as I gaze on Waterloo sunset...

^^^ This is more or less what Ray Davies would have seen back in the day, standing on Waterloo Bridge and watching the sunset. A great cover photograph for McLaughlin's album (and fine music too)

)
    Last edited by Munster; 4 Days Ago at 05:10 PM.
    'There are no certain answers and no time to understand / The goal's a changing paradise, a moment out of date'

Quote Originally Posted by Grigoriy View Post
    Yes - Then
    That's pure prog imo or at least pure proto prog. I don't hear any psych on that album and very little on their first. I think Yes were just doing something that most bands at that time weren't. Still, I can sort of get why people think it's psych because a lot of that stuff still sounded similar to each other. For me personally I just don't really hear anything psych about it not even the bass saxophone at the very end.

Anyway, one of my favorites is "pictures of matchstick men" by Status Quo. I'm not sure I could ever say what my favorite is though.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

In all honesty, from my point of view, there are some very random choices on this thread. I won't directly comment on any as it is very easy to get into pointless arguments about categorisation.

It only goes to show what an elastic term psychedelic is in relation to music. For me, most choices outside the 66 to 69 time frame are not contenders for me.

The eons are closing
    Help Im a Rock

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Sky Pilot - The Animals

Sky Pilot - The Animals