Thread: Coheed and Cambria - Vaxis – Act I: The Unheavenly Creatures - Limited Edition Deluxe

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Coheed and Cambria - Vaxis – Act I: The Unheavenly Creatures - Limited Edition Deluxe

Deluxe, limited edition box set of Coheed's new album now on presale - $99.00

As usual, some trinkets you don't need, some stuff you do need. Supposed to be more prog than the previous album.

http://store.coheedandcambria.com/mu...ubid=144813148

will be checking this out, but I've been burned before with expectations.

If David Botrill were working with them, I would have higher hopes.

I actually didn't get into them at all until just before Black Rainbow came out, so I haven't actually listened to much of what came before Black Rainbow. I know the earlier is stuff is what many people like best. Black Rainbow is my favorite, I think The Afterman is pretty good, and Color Before the Sun is OK but sort of a failed attempt at pop. So I'll be happy if this goes back to sounding more like Black Rainbow/Afterman.

The Afterman albums have their moments, and Color Before the Sun I recall liking a couple of the singles, but I never got attached to any of them. I thought I would with the Afterman, but the theatrical interludes bugged me a little too much.

Black Rainbow I recall struggling to listen to, for a few reasons, but 1st and foremost, the cymbals clipped frequently in the mix.

Definitely give Good Apollo 1 a shot. It's a perfect record to me and many others. The flow and energy is off the charts.

In Keeping Secrets I enjoy a lot too. Many choruses don't leave my brain for hours after listening to it.

I have one of the Good Apollo albums. I played it a couple weeks ago. I couldn't stand it. I liked it when I first bought it. I really can't stand Claudio's singing.

Good Apollo I >>>>>> Good Apollo II, although if you don't care for his voice, it probably doesn't matter.

Is Coheed really even a progressive rock band? I saw them unfortunately when they "co-headlined" with Porcupine Tree (PT opened for them--what a joke). Couldn't stand them, and neither could any of the other PT fans that I was around. Just loud sludgy slop. Nothing at all 'proggy' that I could hear. Imo of course.

Sometimes Coheed & Cambria is more or less prog metal, and IMO that's when they're best. But they do always incorporate a lot of pop and other styles:

Last edited by JKL2000; 06-24-2018 at 03:00 PM.

They just released a couple more songs and it all sounds very good to me.

Big interview with Sanchez in Rolling Stone:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...y-wars-707534/

Coheed and Cambria reminds me of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. To catch up, I have to watch 30 movies and 5 series, read some graphic novels, ask a friend and go on a pilgrimage.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Coheed and Cambria reminds me of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. To catch up, I have to watch 30 movies and 5 series, read some graphic novels, ask a friend and go on a pilgrimage.
    LOL! Sanchez makes basically the same comment in that Rolling Stone interview. But I actually haven’t read any of the comics (or the novel!), and don’t pay much attention to the storyline. IMO the more interesting part is that in the albums the story (such as it is) is told using lyrics about his own life and relationships, so I mostly just think of it that way. I know his voice can be an acquired taste, and I like it, so the vocals and music are really enough for me. I just figure “crazy space shit happens” as a sort of pretext.

BTW, I thought it was cool that the song Unheavenly Creatures uses Chip Music, and posted about that in the Chip Music forum (nerd alert!).
    Last edited by JKL2000; 10-05-2018 at 06:20 AM.

Just looking at the deluxe edition of the Afterman album. I’d forgot they included the names of everyone who preordered in the book. They’re in the tiniest print imaginable over six pages - must be thousands of names - and they’re not in alphabetical order! I’ll bet no one has looked through them to find their own name. I didn’t even try.

Really like them ,and the songs released so far from the new album sounds very promising to My ears .

Cheers

The production of the deluxe editions was delayed somewhat by some...production issues. But they did send out a download of the double album to those who preordered. I've only listened to the first few tracks (still waiting for my deluxe edition to ship), and what I've heard so far is excellent. If anyone in North America ordered it and gets their copy, please post here.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 10-14-2018 at 11:51 AM.

I've listened to this album a couple of times and I agree with many comments in that by going back to the Amory Wars story, and maybe being more inspired by playing the Neverender shows (complete albums live), this album is more remiscent of Good Apollo 1 and In Keeping Secrets in some ways.

However, I still would be very surprised if I enjoy it as much as those 2 in the long run.

There are some hooks and there's energy on a lot of it, and some of the songs are experimental.

Plus the mixing and production problems I don't hear (like on Year of the Black Rainbow and even The Afterman albums).

overall a thumbs up, although I don't know where it'll end up on my upcoming end of year albums list (which for me/my blog, albums must be released by Halloween).

The deluxe, limited CD edition of this is really one of the worst they’ve done. There’s no track-listing anywhere in the book or in the package at all. While there’s a signed certificate, there’s no numbering anywhere. And the box is huge because it comes with a dumb mask. I’m tempted to buy the regular CD so I have something with a track-listing. C & C really isn’t good at doing boxed sets. There’s little of value in them. ��

So I finally bought the regular digipak version of this so I could have the track listing and lyrics, but even the digipak is lacking.

Someone on here once poo-poo'd me because I complained about the size of printed lyrics in a release, saying it was just my eyesight. Well the lyrics printed in this release are miniscule, and I just checked with my 11-year-old son, and he confirmed that even for him they're too tiny to read. The insert has 12 CD-sized panels to print on, and they only used three panels for all the lyrics and credits, and the lyrics are very verbose.

Another weird thing is that the package doesn't have the full album title on it anywhere. A prtial title is on the lyric sheet, but the title is nowhere on the cardboard sleeve - not on the spine or anywhere. If they were intentionally going for something minimal I could sort of understand it, but since the packaging for the deluxe edition sucks, I think this packaging scks as well. But at least this regular CD is priced like a regulae CD. Just venting a little - I do like the music, but I just think Coheed should stick to norml oadkfif