Thread: Jethro Tull's "Wond'ring Aloud", "Wond'ring Again" and "Wond'ring Aloud, Again"

Jethro Tull's "Wond'ring Aloud", "Wond'ring Again" and "Wond'ring Aloud, Again"

The first song appears on "Aqualung", the second one appears on "Living in the Past", and the third one appears on disc two of the 40th Anniversary "Aqualung" (along with a different version of "Wond'ring Aloud"). In the liner notes to the 40th Anniversary release, Ian talks about the fact that "Wond'ring Aloud, Again" is not just the two other songs "stuck together", it's a completely different recording with different lyrics. The song(s) apparently went through a lot of changes before the final results. I find this whole evolution of these tracks unique, because none of them are demos or half-finished tracks; they're all finished products. And I love all three versions, as well as the live versions I've heard.

"Wond'ring Again" was my fav Tull tune for like 3 years - I think I played that sucker every day. They are all fantastic.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    > the third one appears on disc two of the 40th Anniversary "Aqualung"

Is that the songs first appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    > the third one appears on disc two of the 40th Anniversary "Aqualung"

Is that the songs first appearance?
    I believe so
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Re-recorded? The Living in the Past track sure sounds identical to the long version on the 40th set in places.

Certainly very similar. Ian A. says they're different in the liner notes of the 40th Anniversary booklet, plus the long version is obviously NOT the two shorter pieces edited together. I haven't listened closely to the lyrics, so I can't say for sure whether they're different. I'll do that tonight when I get home.

The verdict is in: the first 2'50" of Wond'ring Aloud, Again is unique, but after a short silence, it's identical to Wond'ring Again from the Living in the Past album. I guess Ian "misremembered"...

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    The verdict is in: the first 2'50" of Wond'ring Aloud, Again is unique, but after a short silence, it's identical to Wond'ring Again from the Living in the Past album. I guess Ian "misremembered"...
    That was my previous assessment as well.