Thread: The Return of the Giant Hogweed

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

The Return of the Giant Hogweed

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Thoughts and prayers for the brave soul who inserted that sign. There are wonderful human beings on this earth who care more for others than themselves. What an unselfish being. An unsung hero.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Turn and run.

In my area, we are trying to squelch an invasion of the nutria.

Yikes!

http://www.recordnet.com/news/201804...ff-alarm-bells

Edit: Tim Pelican??

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    ^Looks like a giant muskrat. We have muskrats here, but not an invasion, as far as I know.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I was hiking a local trail last week and I thought I had encountered some, but when I researched it later it turned out to be cow parsnip, which looks almost the same but only grows to about six or eight feet, whereas giant hogweed grows to 20 feet. Still, I wasn't going to touch it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Ya know, it's fascinating to me that whomever it was in Genesis (Gabriel? Banks? Rutherford?) was able to spin a tale that reads, on a lyric sheet, like Day Of The Triffids or the Doctor Who serial Seeds Of Doom), but is in fact based on a newspaper article about an actual, real life invasive plant species.

Alnwick Garden in Northumberland has a 'Poison Garden' with a specimen of giant hogweed in it. I was desperately hoping for a Genesis reference from the guide but it didn't happen. She did at least mention heracleum mantegazzianum.

Nature takes its revenge.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

That's a coincidence, just happened to take this pic yesterday!!

Scary looking and triffid like.IMG_4760.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by refugee View Post
    Scary looking and triffid-like.
    IMG_4760.jpg
    I wonder: was The Day of the Triffids perhaps inspired by hogweeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I wonder: was The Day of the Triffids perhaps inspired by hogweeds?
    Hard to say. The Wikipedia page on the original novel doesn't mention where author John Wyndham actually came up with the idea of a species of giant, mobile plants being the antagonists of the story, only that Wyndham was apparently influenced by the work of a Soviet agronomist named Trofim Lysenko, who was the top dog of the USSR's Academy of Science during the Stalin and Khrushchev eras. He apparently developed his own theories about genetics, which apparnetly have been debunked. In the novel, the main character theorizes that the triffids were created by genetic meddling, apparently at the behest of Lysenko himself.

But who knows where Wyndham actually got the idea for humanity being terrorized by the triffids.

Nothing to fear since

venus.jpg

is here

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Nothing to fear since

venus.jpg

is here
    I don't get it. Downtown Brown is here?!

Venus Flytrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Venus Flytrap.
    Oh you should have said so. I couldn't figure out why you were posting a picture of Downtown Brown from Simon & Simon.