Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prog Rock/Fusion from Andrew Lloyd Webber (1978)?!

Played this one again as I hadn't heard it in years. My feelings haven't changed that much- it's listenable, but the 'South Bank Show theme' is the highlight, although it's fun hearing Gary Moore doing his best Hank Marvin impersonation at another point. You don't really get to hear any of these musicians really cut loose as you do on their own projects...it's essentially session-playing.

I do like the original Jesus Christ Superstar album a lot, with Ian Gillan, Yvonne Elliman etc.

I have ALW's memoir out from the library. Although I'm not a big fan, he is funny sometimes and there are mentions of his encounters with people from the prog and semi-prog world, such as Deep Purple, Quartermass and Simon Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I really don’t know how the topic got shifted to Wendy Carlos but that’s fine by me—I have a ton more respect for her than that hack ALW. The Switched-On series is sort of the millstone round her neck but to be fair to her, she is not to blame for all those crass, exploitative cash-in records that followed in Switched-On Bach’s wake. The worst thing the Switched-On records did, however, was detract from Wendy’s own original music. Sonic Seasonings in particular is just stunning, and deserves to be heard more widely.
    I have some sentimentality about SOB since some cuts from it were on one of the first classical albums I heard, a "greatest hits of Bach" album my mother owned, and it was easier for me to relate to Bach played on synth than by an orchestra.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Watching that, it's hard not to see this album as another one of those '70s attempts to make rock 'respectable' that indicates all-too-clearly why punk needed to happen - and I say that as someone who hates most punk. Words cannot express the depth of my loathing for anything associated with the name 'Andrew Lloyd Webber,' and Variations is no exception - despite the stellar cast of musicians it features.

By contrast, I think the first couple of Sky albums are great; some lovely tunes and Kevin Peek's beautiful tone and electric guitar playing. Not remotely comparable to any bathetic ALW abomination, imho.

A more respectable release featuring Barbara Thompson, a cello soloist (Paul Buckmaster in lieu of Julian Lloyd Webber) and an all star cast is Neil Ardley’s Kaleidoscope of Rainbows. If you haven’t heard it before, I highly recommend checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    By contrast, I think the first couple of Sky albums are great; some lovely tunes and Kevin Peek's beautiful tone and electric guitar playing. Not remotely comparable to any bathetic ALW abomination, imho.
    I love Disc One of Sky 2. When it gets to all the “solo” pieces on Side 3 (of the original vinyl), it loses me, and never really regains steam. But Francis Monkman’s contributions in particular (even his harpsichord solo) make this worthwhile.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Actually he was backed by the complete Colosseum II lineup.

There are also some nice live vids on YT.
    I have filed it with Colosseum II since I bought it in the 80s

it's a very good album IMO
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Well, he wrote it based on music by this Paganini dude, so he doesn't get all the credit. But after that everything was his own work, honest guv.
    all the talk about "middle-brow" Rock; Sky, Carlos, etc... I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ekseption and/or Emo's forays
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?