Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kayak

Kayak

There must be past threads about this group but I don't remember seeing them.

I first heard the album Royal Bed Bouncer last year and have been enjoying it. Sounds to me like a mix of Gabriel era Genesis with Eldorado era ELO.

Also bought the first two albums and they are also very good although not as good as RBB. First album sounds like they had a bit of Gentle Giant influence.

Anyone have recommendations (or musts to avoid) from their other albums?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Big fan, particularly of their rock operas (Merlin, Nostradamus, Cleopatra).

Me too.

Their latest album is pretty good, I think. A completely new line-up with Ton Scherpenzeel being the only original member.

Another Kayak fan here! Like Rick, I really love the operas. Might have to check out the new album now that you said that, Renate! I've always been a Ton S. fan anyway.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The first three on Emi Harvest are the best.

Kayak were consistently excellent throughout their original run of eight studio albums. The next place to go after Royal Bed Bouncer would be See See the Sun from 1973, followed by the remainder of their 1974–81 output. Queue up the red-listed tracks on YouTube — highlight title on Benelux page>Search Google for "">play in second tab — to gain a more rounded impression:

Albums from Benelux — Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    There must be past threads about this group but I don't remember seeing them.

I first heard the album Royal Bed Bouncer last year and have been enjoying it. Sounds to me like a mix of Gabriel era Genesis with Eldorado era ELO.

Also bought the first two albums and they are also very good although not as good as RBB. First album sounds like they had a bit of Gentle Giant influence.

Have all their albums. .......... My favourite is Close to the Fire which includes Andy Latimer (Camel) on one track.....

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    There’s a gradual falling off after RBB but they bounce back a bit with Merlin. Of their original run of albums up to 1981, Periscope Life is easily the nadir, though I would still hesitate to call it “bad” as there’s still stuff on it that I like very much (some real MOR ballad drivel on that one though: “If You Really Need Me Now,” “Sad to Say Farewell” = yuck!).

The suite side of Merlin is excellent, the flip: not so much. I like the rest of their 70s output in fits and starts, but those first three are the ones to get. The easiest way to get Starlight Dancer, Phantom of the Night and Periscope Life is the 3-on-2 3 Originals package with a raft of bonus tracks (mostly single B-sides). The Last Encore seems to be a rarity these days, so I guess I should cherish my CD copy.

I heard some of the music by the reformed band and it sounded like the bad MOR pop I was mentioning earlier. Not for me!

EDIT: Note that POTN through to Merlin feature a different lead singer: Edward Reekers, whose voice is a bit “cleaner” than Max Werner’s (who retreated behind a drum kit for those albums). These albums also feature backing vocalists Irene Linders and Katherine Lapthorn, who were dating the Scherpenzeel brothers at the time (Linders also functioned as the lyricist for these albums).
    Last edited by Progbear; 06-16-2018 at 09:53 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

"Royal Bed Bouncer" and "The Last Encore" are Kayak's high water marks imo. Great melodic prog rock albums.

Limited edition of Live 2019 available from Bandcamp: https://kayak.bandcamp.com/
    Note: "The price of this item includes standard packaging and postage cost world-wide."

I've been meaning to get into Kayak. Funny enough, I just stumbled on this YouTuber who reviews two songs by them:

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Limited edition of Live 2019 available from Bandcamp: https://kayak.bandcamp.com/
    Note: "The price of this item includes standard packaging and postage cost world-wide."
    Got it and like it a lot. Have not listened to their latter albums but the concert is excellent, quite Camelish at some points.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

A band I never get into somehow. I bought Periscope Life back in the pre Internet days because it was the only one
    I could find in a record store (miss those days). That one stoped me from going any further.

I bought (or so I thought) RBB years later as that one was recomended to me, didn't like it either. I found out later that there was a
    wrong LP by them in that coversleeve.

Anyone knows their recent Live Album, is it good?

There will be a cheap box set featuring their first 5 Albums in summer (so also containing The Last Encore)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

Anyone knows their recent Live Album, is it good?
    The music is quite different from the albums you mention. This live-band has a more rocking sound including a slightly A.O.R.-like singer. I'm not a big fan of the band (never bought an album yet (?)) though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    There will be a cheap box set featuring their first 5 Albums in summer (so also containing The Last Encore)

And a an extra disc with bonus tracks:

Fluffy (Hide Tide Formation)
    White Walls (Hide Tide Formation)
    Give It A Name
    Try To Write A Book
    Bulldozer
    Chance For A Lifetime
    We Are Not Amused
    Boezem
    I Want You To Be Mine (USA Version)
    Irene (USA Version)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    And a an extra disc with bonus tracks:

Fluffy (Hide Tide Formation)
    White Walls (Hide Tide Formation)
    Give It A Name
    Try To Write A Book
    Bulldozer
    Chance For A Lifetime
    We Are Not Amused
    Boezem
    I Want You To Be Mine (USA Version)
    Irene (USA Version)
    I allready have all Kayak albums and in the end I think there are 3 songs on that extra disk, I don't have. So I doubt I will go for this box.

Brand new song from the forthcoming new Kayak album:

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    The 2019 live double album rocks. A reinvigorated band.

Another new song from the new album:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Another new song from the new album:

Not sure why this reminds me of a Glenn Frey song from the 80s but it does.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Not Glenn Frey particularly but it does sound 80s to me. Neat key change between the bridge and the verse though.

For news on the late Pim Koopman see: http://www.pimkoopman.com/ (scroll down for English text).

The new 6-track CD Reappearance is available from pimkoopmanofficial@gmail.com

Superb band! I'm a big fan of the second album, bit of a Brian Wilson vibe to my ears.