Thread: Record stores in Paris

Record stores in Paris

I'll be in Paris next week and plan on hunting for some good vinyl while there. Any recommendations where I would be most likely to find some good vintage EU prog lp's, Kraut rock, etc.? Thanks in advance. I'll post some pics of the shops I go to....assuming I get some decent recommendations. Hopefully getting to them won't be too difficult from my hotel...near Le Jardin Du Luxemborg.

There is a used cd/vinyl store on the Boulevard Saint-Michel (or "Boul Mich" as it's often referred to there). I remember that it's only a few blocks from Luxembourg Gardens.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Look up Souffle Continu... it's almost besides the Père Lachaise cemetery where Jim Morrison (and countless others) is buried

http://www.soufflecontinu.com/index.php?f=accueil

On the right bank (north side of the river), I don't know if it's still the case, but the FNAC store (it's a "cultural chain store") at Les Halles (the shopping mall is worth an archectural visit too) used to have a fairly good prog/jazz section, mostly because of the guy handling the orders. It's also fairly close to the Beaubourg cultural centre (renamed Pompidou a few years back) and neighborhood. Chances are that there will a few vinyl-only shops recently created in that area.

Other than that, on the left bank, you should find happiness at the two Gibert second hand shops... Or Croc-O-Disc, a little further away from the Seine, and less interesting for prog stuff.
    Last edited by Trane; 06-16-2018 at 06:27 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I would recommend Gibert Joseph at Boulevard St. Michel.

E-Bay/Discogs and the latest vinyl revival have drained everything reasonably priced in Paris. The 80s-90s and early 00s were heaven; you could get a mint Ribeiro + Alpes album at 15-20 euros in Cligniancourt or Tapioca's entire catalogue stocked in Crocodisc. Nowadays, I never visit any record store of fair when in Paris. Unless if you are looking for reissues that can be purchased anywhere round the world. But not reissued originals (which when speaking french prog are about 60%), better forget it.

PS. Last truely great deal I did there, was finding an almost unplayed End of Data's "Sahrah" for €12 at Andre's tent. It was 2004.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 06-16-2018 at 01:48 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    There is a used cd/vinyl store on the Boulevard Saint-Michel (or "Boul Mich" as it's often referred to there). I remember that it's only a few blocks from Luxembourg Gardens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I would recommend Gibert Joseph at Boulevard St. Michel.
    DAT'S DA PLACE!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The Enemy God
    Visiting Paris for few days and wonder if any recommendations for decent vinyl/CD shopping mainly Prog/ Jazz Fusion . Thanks

Alucard should ne able to give you more adresses than me, but if you're into Avant-Prog, than Souffle Continu is THE place to visit (it's in the area of the Père Lachaise cemetery). FTM, it's nearly all Avant stuff. The store is linked to the label of the same name.
    https://www.soufflecontinu.com/

Downtown, there is Crocodisc (St Germain) and Gibert (St Michel) though they both sell a mix of new & used and are very general.

The FNAC chain store located at Les Halles was reputed to have a very decent section of prog
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The FNAC chain store located at Les Halles was reputed to have a very decent section of prog
    It certainly did 16 years ago...but that's a very very long time ago. I was told 4-5 years ago that FNAC were phasing out recorded music, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is no music department.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.