Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forthcoming Tull / Ian Anderson releases

Saw the show in Toronto last weekend and enjoyed it very much.

There is a younger fellow who did a lot of the vocals on the original - it worked better than I expected. He didn't copy Anderson's style but brought some freshness to it as well as doing some physical playing off Anderson and the band.

The live version of Taab2 was a bit more muscular than the recording - it's still not a huge favourite of mine of the Tull/Anderson albums but I liked it quite a bit live.

Overall I'm very glad I went.

I was at the Tacoma show. First time seeing Tull or Ian Anderson live. Ian was very energetic -- I hope to have that much energy and stamina when I'm his age! Both TAABs were performed flawlessly, and it was all punctuated with a few bits of Pythonesque humor as you'd expect. Between the two sides of TAAB1, Ian regaled us with a prostate-exam PSA, with a "volunteer" patient and doctor from the audience. (The "patient" was the guy who ran his merch table, so it was all obviously planned out, but still pretty funny nonetheless.)

Ian's voice is in really bad shape. Having the young guy, Ryan O'Donnell, handle a share of the vocals was a really smart move on Ian's part. He sang about half of TAAB1 but was used much more sparingly on TAAB2. He didn't really sound like Ian to my ears, but he brought a lot of genuine emotion to his delivery. Lots of drama, too. Very theatrical. He even mimicked some of Ian's moves around the stage. I could see the guy taking over full-time on vocals if Ian's voice ever totally gives out.

Great show. No complaints.

Open post....insert foot. mpoll's Avatar
    ^^
    +1 Great show in Tacoma Sunday night.

I don't know why more groups don't play the Pantages Theater - it's a great venue.
    "Be Well... Prog On!"

"The Progressive Tracks Show" on KPTZ 91.9 FM / KPTZ.org - Sundays at 5:00 AM and Mondays at 9:00 PM (Pacific Times)
    also on Progzilla Radio / Progzilla.com in the UK - Saturdays at 6:30 PM and Mondays at 2:30 PM (Pacific Times)

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I was at the Tacoma show. First time seeing Tull or Ian Anderson live. Ian was very energetic -- I hope to have that much energy and stamina when I'm his age! Both TAABs were performed flawlessly, and it was all punctuated with a few bits of Pythonesque humor as you'd expect. Between the two sides of TAAB1, Ian regaled us with a prostate-exam PSA, with a "volunteer" patient and doctor from the audience. (The "patient" was the guy who ran his merch table, so it was all obviously planned out, but still pretty funny nonetheless.)

Ian's voice is in really bad shape. Having the young guy, Ryan O'Donnell, handle a share of the vocals was a really smart move on Ian's part. He sang about half of TAAB1 but was used much more sparingly on TAAB2. He didn't really sound like Ian to my ears, but he brought a lot of genuine emotion to his delivery. Lots of drama, too. Very theatrical. He even mimicked some of Ian's moves around the stage. I could see the guy taking over full-time on vocals if Ian's voice ever totally gives out.

Great show. No complaints.
    Good review. This pretty much sums up my take on the Tacoma show as well.

Having seen Tull/Ian everytime he's played in Seattle/Tacoma since '84, this was by far the worst his voice has ever sounded to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Good review. This pretty much sums up my take on the Tacoma show as well.

Having seen Tull/Ian everytime he's played in Seattle/Tacoma since '84, this was by far the worst his voice has ever sounded to me.
    I'd read about how bad his voice has gotten, but I wasn't prepared for just how much he struggled and strained to hit the notes. He even had a little bit of trouble on TAAB2, which of course was written with his vocal limitations in mind. It was almost painful to listen to. I felt bad for him. Fortunately, the rest of the evening's performance made up for it.

Agree with mpoll about Pantages. Gorgeous theater.

I pretty much agree with all the Tacoma reviews. Ian's voice was painful to listen to.....was much deteriorated from the TAAB2 recording....could it be that this was the last North American gig since starting in July?

I just felt a sense of urgency as I think this may be his last tour.....At least for vocals. Glad I went....got one of the last 1/2 dozen tour programs. The Pantages was an awesome venue! Especially when I got bumped from first-row Balcony for TAAB to Row C on the main floor for TAAB2!

....And now back to other topics before JIF explodes!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I pretty much agree with all the Tacoma reviews. Ian's voice was painful to listen to.....was much deteriorated from the TAAB2 recording....could it be that this was the last North American gig since starting in July?

I just felt a sense of urgency as I think this may be his last tour.....At least for vocals. Glad I went....got one of the last 1/2 dozen tour programs. The Pantages was an awesome venue! Especially when I got bumped from first-row Balcony for TAAB to Row C on the main floor for TAAB2!

....And now back to other topics before JIF explodes!
    Ian's already scheduled his 2014 European Tour showcasing the new album being recorded next month, so "his last tour", umm, no.

As for his voice "deteriorating" from the TAAB 2 recording you do realize recording engineers can make you sound better in a studio, yes?

Glad I went....got one of the last 1/2 dozen tour programs.
    Ahhh! I wanted one so bad, and I came without cash, gambling that either they'd take credit or there would be an ATM on premises. No luck on both fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    As for his voice "deteriorating" from the TAAB 2 recording you do realize recording engineers can make you sound better in a studio, yes?
    You'd have to be there to understand just how bad his voice has gotten. There are only so many studio tricks someone can do if the singer's voice is just shredded. I do think some of it comes down to the long tour, but the Ian I heard in Tacoma would have struggled mightily to record TAAB2.

That said, the crowd seemed VERY forgiving, as he and the band put on an otherwise spectacular performance. Really glad I got to see Ian perform at least once in my lifetime.

Ahhh! I wanted one so bad, and I came without cash, gambling that either they'd take credit or there would be an ATM on premises. No luck on both fronts.
    I had the cash, but when I hit the merch table between sets the programs were sold out. This was months ago. They must not bring very many to each show.

You'd have to be there to understand just how bad his voice has gotten. There are only so many studio tricks someone can do if the singer's voice is just shredded. I do think some of it comes down to the long tour, but the Ian I heard in Tacoma would have struggled mightily to record TAAB2.

That said, the crowd seemed VERY forgiving, as he and the band put on an otherwise spectacular performance. Really glad I got to see Ian perform at least once in my lifetime.
    I was there in Westbury two weeks ago, I doubt his voice has gotten appreciably worse since then. BTW I've been at an Anderson/Tull concert every year for the past 40 or so, and Ian's sounded more or less the same for the past 20, not good at all. He didn't find his voice for TAAB 2 then lose it again, I can assure you.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    I was there in Westbury two weeks ago, I doubt his voice has gotten appreciably worse since then. BTW I've been at an Anderson/Tull concert every year for the past 40 or so, and Ian's sounded more or less the same for the past 20, not good at all. He didn't find his voice for TAAB 2 then lose it again, I can assure you.
    I respectfully disagree.

I've seen him at every show in the Seattle area, plus a couple on the road, over the last 30 years. The last 20 has been up and down to say the least to my ears, especially if he sings 2-3 nights in a row. This time out, when he was stretching for some of the high notes he'd completely lose his voice and not be able to sing the lyric. This was by far the worst I've heard him. This was happening on both TaaB & TaaB 2, but far worse on 1.

In any case, it was still an enjoyable evening and I'll continue to see Ian or Tull whenever they play out this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    This time out, when he was stretching for some of the high notes he'd completely lose his voice and not be able to sing the lyric. This was by far the worst I've heard him. This was happening on both TaaB & TaaB 2, but far worse on 1.
    I noticed the missed high notes as well. As I was explaining to someone, imagine a person who's just getting over a bad case of laryngitis and trying to sing.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    I'm not interested, for the first time on new IA releases. I've had enough of Florian Opale's guitar sound, and playing as well. And IA's current rhythm section is the worst he ever worked with.
    While i have no real beef with Opale's tone, I am 100% in agreement about the rhythm section. It's embarrassing.

Maybe Ian should do a stripped-down acoustic tour to keep his voice in check. I would pay BIG MONEY to see that.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Maybe Ian should do a stripped-down acoustic tour to keep his voice in check. I would pay BIG MONEY to see that.
    It's a shame that idea has seemingly been scrapped, as it was being discussed a couple of years back that Ian was considering a tour with just him and Martin doing just as you describe. I'd also be into that - I'd have ordered tickets straight away.

But, since that is unlikely now, I look forward to hearing what this new album will bring (and what Ian considers 'heavy').
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I saw do an 'acoustic Jetho Tull' show a few years back. It featured most of the current Tull lineup (I think it might have been the first tour after Giddings and Noyce left) and Ian Anderson's son 'James Duncan' on drums (I think Doane was ill). They did a lot of heavily re-arranged songs, including a version of Aqualung that was almost unrecognisable... It was an odd show, didn't really work, and the venue (A rather grim old theatre stuck away somewhere in the middle of Birmingham) was strangely empty. The next time I saw Tull proper it was in a packed venue (This time a Symphony Hall) of about 2000+ people and Ian and Martin were on top form... Vocally he was fine, apart from Songs from the Wood, which was murdered. The next time it was Ian Anderson's Thick As A Brick tour, which was also excellent...

I think I'd prefer the acoustic gig to have just been Ian and Martin. I seem to recall they also had a violinist as well. I saw a few Tull gigs where they had guest violinists and played Led Zep songs. I think Tull was losing its way years ago and Ian was clearly bored with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    I seem to recall they also had a violinist as well. I saw a few Tull gigs where they had guest violinists and played Led Zep songs. I think Tull was losing its way years ago and Ian was clearly bored with it...
    Yes, that was the last time I saw Tull. I was not happy about it actually. Although she was an outstanding violinist, I didn't really need to see them play "Kashmir", and I certainly didn't need to see her do a lengthy solo while the band left the stage. I was thinking "This is not Jethro Tull!" All of that time wasted IMO when we could have had some more Tull songs in the set. My least favourite of the four JT shows I've seen.

If I recall, that was the show where they handed out free copies of Aqualung Live to every ticketholder.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Would have liked to see this show in Iceland. The TAAB2 JT performing with Egill Ólafsson of
    Hinn Islenski Þursaflokkurinn (song is Brúðkaupsvísur)

Resurrecting a 10yo thread because I don’t want to create “the proper one” yet.
    We are 1/3 of the way through 2023 now and anyone have info about the 40th Anniversary of Broadsword & The Beast?

I realize the “Tull Corporation” is currently promoting Rokflote but us “fondlers” haven’t forgotten. Weren’t we talking “the biggest box yet?”

(We need a Fondling Emoji)
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

^ Not sure but I want in if/when that happens.

Resurrecting a 10yo thread because I don’t want to create “the proper one” yet.
    We are 1/3 of the way through 2023 now and anyone have info about the 40th Anniversary of Broadsword & The Beast?

I realize the “Tull Corporation” is currently promoting Rokflote but us “fondlers” haven’t forgotten. Weren’t we talking “the biggest box yet?”

(We need a Fondling Emoji)
    The answer you seek is here, at the 19:06 mark:

BTW, prepare yourselves for 5.1 mixes of the following extra tracks:

Roland's Entry
    Lights Out
    The Curse (Version 1)
    Too Many Too
    Calafel
    I'm Your Gun
    No Step
    Down At The End Of Your Road
    Mayhem, Maybe
    Commons Brawl
    Return To Calafel
    Jack Frost and the Hooded Crow
    The Swirling Pit
    Inverness Sleeper
    Crew Nights
    Rhythm In Gold
    Overhang
    Jack-A-Lynn (Band Version)
    Motoreyes
    Drive On the Young Side Of Life
    Jack-A-Lynn (Acoustic Version)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The answer you seek is here, at the 19:06 mark:
    A very thorough explanation that leaves me with more questions than I had before I heard the answer.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    A very thorough explanation that leaves me with more questions than I had before I heard the answer.
    That's our Ian!

So, a Bursting Out box set will be release with the MSG show, but weren't the whole complete Bursting Out already release as a 2 cd with the HH box set already?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The HH set had 2 CDs from Bern, but info at the jethrotull.com site says that Bursting Out was recorded in various European locations in May and June of '78, so maybe the new box will have a larger selection of tracks from multiple venues.