Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: Are the USPS and Canada Post getting worse?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It's amazing how many people are unable to read the numbers on a house or building.
    On the other hand, when I lived at 1310 Pinecrest Road I successfully received a Christmas card my cousin had addressed to 1310 Prince Crescent!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I've certainly received my neighbor's mail on occasion. And, yes, it's an inconvenience. But, considering how many pieces are being handled, I try to cut them some slack.
    I do too, when it comes to that sort of thing. For about a year and a half, I worked in mail services at Ohio State so I know how stuff can get sent to your neighbor's house. But the wrong street???

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It didn't happen to me, but a guy over here ordered a Black & Decker Circular Saw and it got delivered...

...to Home Depot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    And let's not forget UPS and Fedex drivers throwing packages over fences, onto the yard or patio. They couldn't even be bothered to open a gate and take a few steps inside.
    I do have to give credit to USPS mail carriers. They don't normally do shit like that.

I saw a video of a UPS or Fedex delivery where the guy just tossed the package onto the porch. Turned out, the item was fragile and it broke.

And I also have to give credit to Amazon delivery people. I have a standing instruction to have all my packages delivered to the back door and they've never failed me.
    "For the near future, there are favorable implications in the fact that the recent reactions have not gone even as far down as the low point, which would have been normal."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    We've had entire Fresh Direct orders mistakenly left at our door, and our orders have been left at the wrong door as well. And with the contactless deliveries we have during these unprecedented times, things have happened with food orders as well. Recently I was out shopping, a whole pizza had mistakenly been left in front of our door, obviously a while ago as it was quite cold. My family didn't know because the guy hadn't rung the bell. At that point, since it had been there for a long time, it was obvious the customer's missing pizza must have already been replaced or he'd been compensated, so we had little choice but to accept the free pizza.

Oh well, hopefully things with the postal backup or whatever have been worked out somewhat. I'm sure this has all been a lot harder on the vendors than it has on any of us customers, as they've probably had shipments to them delayed, and had to field all kinds of calls from worried or upset customers.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Recently I was out shopping, a whole pizza had mistakenly been left in front of our door, obviously a while ago as it was quite cold. My family didn't know because the guy hadn't rung the bell. At that point, since it had been there for a long time, it was obvious the customer's missing pizza must have already been replaced or he'd been compensated, so we had little choice but to accept the free pizza.
    Perhaps it was left intentionally. Have you used their service prior? How did it taste? Any side effects to speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Perhaps it was left intentionally. Have you used their service prior? How did it taste? Any side effects to speak of?
    It wasn't a place we were familiar with. We all survived!

We've had entire Fresh Direct orders mistakenly left at our door, and our orders have been left at the wrong door as well. And with the contactless deliveries we have during these unprecedented times, things have happened with food orders as well. Recently I was out shopping, a whole pizza had mistakenly been left in front of our door, obviously a while ago as it was quite cold. My family didn't know because the guy hadn't rung the bell. At that point, since it had been there for a long time, it was obvious the customer's missing pizza must have already been replaced or he'd been compensated, so we had little choice but to accept the free pizza.
    Better make sure they're not filming a fourth Jackass film.

My wife was expecting a package yesterday, but instead we got an e-mail:
    Your package has a delivery exception.
    Your item was forwarded to a different address at 10:00 am on March 1, 2021 in FOXBORO, MA.
    This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect.
    Now we got a notification that it's going to be delivered today. I'm going to be really surprised it either the address or ZIP code is incorrect and it's not just a screwup like it usually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I saw a video of a UPS or Fedex delivery where the guy just tossed the package onto the porch. Turned out, the item was fragile and it broke.
    My first job out of the Navy in the late 80s, the company made dancing cactus...a take off on the dancing flowers of the time period. The shipping boxes were clearly marked "This Side Up," so the rubber cactus wouldn't slide off the wire stem. When the UPS driver came to pick up the boxes, the first thing he did was flip the box upside-down, in the process of slinging it over his shoulder.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    My first job out of the Navy in the late 80s, the company made dancing cactus...a take off on the dancing flowers of the time period. The shipping boxes were clearly marked "This Side Up," so the rubber cactus wouldn't slide off the wire stem. When the UPS driver came to pick up the boxes, the first thing he did was flip the box upside-down, in the process of slinging it over his shoulder.
    I guess that's why someone invented things like this:

The package that I mentioned 2 posts back arrived safely, and it had the correct address and zip the whole time, just as I expected.

Just write 'Contains liquid'. They will treat it with respect. They don't want a cleanup incident.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

I forgot to relate this one the other day.

A few months back was the first and last time I ordered cat litter online (what the hey, it was a deal). The day of, I waited and watched the tracking so I wouldn't miss the postman. I knew it would be a big box.

The tracking showed a delivery attempt was made. I never saw a USPS truck glide by on the street! "We will attempt to deliver your parcel tomorrow."

The next day, get this, tracking was updated to DELIVERED — as in "left inside mailbox."

A freakin' box of cat litter!

The "mailbox" is essentially a shared compartment with a keyed panel in a metal contraption a couple houses down.

I never saw that cat litter and got my money back. I have no idea what happened to it or how (or why) it got marked as "delivered." My guess is it wasn't the regular guy/gal and they couldn't find my place.

^ My guess is a couple strays jumped the mailman and made off with your cat litter.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Well, I'll toss out a positive story for the post office.

I recently ordered something through Discogs and upon delivery I noticed that my address was incorrect. The street and zip were correct, but the state wasn't. But, it was delivered with no (appreciable) delays and had I not looked at the address label I wouldn't have known there was a potential reason for concern.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ My guess is a couple strays jumped the mailman and made off with your cat litter.
    That would no doubt be better than the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post

I recently ordered something through Discogs and upon delivery I noticed that my address was incorrect. The street and zip were correct, but the state wasn't. But, it was delivered with no (appreciable) delays and had I not looked at the address label I wouldn't have known there was a potential reason for concern.
    Actually, I can add heaps more "+" refs in that all of my music and book orders have landed with only the occasional slight delay.

Fortunately, they fucked up!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Fortunately, they fucked up!
    Well, I don't think the town and state combination exist, but the zip code would definitely lead them to me.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Well, I don't think the town and state combination exist, but the zip code would definitely lead them to me.
    There are states in which the names of some cities are the same. And if the sender made a mistake in indicating the state, then it is very good if the postal employee is vigilant and does his job carefully.

Around the turn of the millennium, I worked data entry for a rebate fulfillment company. That zip code is a wealth of information when someone submitted with an incorrect address. For example here in Phoenix, the "Streets" are on the east side of town, and the "Avenues" on the west. If someone wrote down Avenue, but the zip code is on the east side of town, we'd know it's actually Street and correct it accordingly. The same would hold true in most any city within the US, US territories, and sometimes Canada. I even saw a news report about a women with Asperger's, who memorized where every zip code in the US is located. When pieces of large volume mail her company sent were returned, they sent them to her. In a matter of minute or two, she re-sent them where they actually needed to go.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Ember
    Does anybody even look at anything besides the Zip code until it reaches the local post office? The Zip tells them which PO it goes to, so who cares about anything else until it gets there?