Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Are the USPS and Canada Post getting worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It's extremely typical GOP:

Take a government sector that works reasonably well, sabotage it and say 'the free market will do it better' and then privatize it and get campaign contributions from that sector of big business that got to take it over.
    With the added bonus of not having to pay generous public empoyee salaries, and generous public employee benefits.
    Last edited by progmatist; 02-24-2021 at 10:55 AM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You Know Who has taken all de joy out of shopping by mail.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The 4 open Board of Governors seats will have to wait for all the other Senate confirmations, like Biden's cabinet picks.
    There are actually three. Some of the reporting has stated four, which is incorrect. Biden actually nominated the three today.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There are actually three. Some of the reporting has stated four, which is incorrect. Biden actually nominated the three today.
    MUSPSGA! (Make the USPS Great Again)

Most of these postal issues reported here on PE seem to be in the eastern part of the U.S. Weather related? I rarely have issues with USPS on the other side of the U.S.

^^ Same here. I ordered an item from eBay a week ago today. I received it Monday.

^ At a certain point, I think they decided to move the "new" mail and let the old mail sit. Then get to the old when they can.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ At a certain point, I think they decided to move the "new" mail and let the old mail sit. Then get to the old when they can.
    That's actually what I think as well. The new stuff isn't as delayed and they are dealing with the backlog problem as they can.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^ That’s what I guessed too.

With the added bonus of not having to pay generous public empoyee salaries, and generous public employee benefits.
    Except for the fact that Federal employees earn about 25% less than private sector employees.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Except for the fact that Federal employees earn about 25% less than private sector employees.
    Do you think a Fresh Direct or Domino's delivery person gets paid more than a USPS mail carrier? Maybe, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you think a Fresh Direct or Domino's delivery person gets paid more than a USPS mail carrier? Maybe, maybe not.
    Do you think apples taste like oranges?

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

BTW, the average US mail carrier salary is $17.44 per hour.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Ember
    Many sources cite a higher hourly average. But in any case, these jobs come with benefits: Health insurance, paid leave, a retirement plan, etc. There is absolutely no comparing these excellent jobs with what gig workers like pizza delivery people make.

I have no idea whats happening in the 'postage-business'.
    I have ordered 2 CD's in Germany (I live next door in Denmark), but I should expect them to arrive 20 days after I ordered.

What my CD's are doing in the 17-18 days, they are not 'travelling' is a mystery.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Most of these postal issues reported here on PE seem to be in the eastern part of the U.S. Weather related? I rarely have issues with USPS on the other side of the U.S.
    In the case of my missing CD from September 23rd, "weather related" would have to translate to something like "waiting for winter to end".
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Do you think apples taste like oranges?
    What kind of private sector jobs were you comparing USPS jobs to? And which USPS jobs? It's true there are a great variety of USPS jobs, so I was really only thinking of private sector jobs that might be comparable to USPS mail carrier jobs, but we could compare clerical jobs, etc. Give me an example of what you had in mind. I guess the people who drive around in Amazon trucks and make deliveries for Amazon should be compared to USPS mail carrier jobs (or UPS drivers) - I have no idea of what the Amazon or UPS drivers make though.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    In the case of my missing CD from September 23rd, "weather related" would have to translate to something like "waiting for winter to end".
    Here is a package I am expecting any moment. This is usually how it is for me with packages coming from the east coast of the U.S.

Feb 23, 2021
    3:38pm
    USPS IN POSSESSION OF ITEM
    NEW BALTIMORE, NY 12124

Feb 24, 2021
    12:26am
    PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
    ALBANY, NY 12288

Feb 24, 2021
    2:45am
    PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM
    HANNACROIX, NY 12087

Feb 25, 2021
    6:23pm
    PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY AZ

Feb 26, 2021
    4:05am
    ARRIVE USPS FACILITY AZ

Feb 26, 2021
    6:48am
    ARRIVAL AT UNIT AZ

Feb 26, 2021
    6:59am
    OUT FOR DELIVERY

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Here is a package I am expecting any moment. This is usually how it is for me with packages coming from the east coast of the U.S.
    That's normally what I would expect and I can't say I've had chronic issues recently. And it's rare that I'm in a hurry unless I specifically paid extra for faster shipping.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Professionals like lawyers, accountants, doctors...most definitely. Hourly workers like a letter carrier, not even. Then factor in the health and retirement benefits, which disappeared from most other jobs decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Many sources cite a higher hourly average. But in any case, these jobs come with benefits: Health insurance, paid leave, a retirement plan, etc. There is absolutely no comparing these excellent jobs with what gig workers like pizza delivery people make.
    I wasn't the one who compared them to pizza delivery guys. That was out Highly Evolved Orangutan friend who somehow made the leap to that.

To be clear, the comment I made was about salaries of comparable jobs. And the data shows that those in the public sector make about 25% less per hour compared to the private sector. That is indisputable.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I wasn't the one who compared them to pizza delivery guys. That was out Highly Evolved Orangutan friend who somehow made the leap to that.

To be clear, the comment I made was about salaries of comparable jobs. And the data shows that those in the public sector make about 25% less per hour compared to the private sector. That is indisputable.
    I was responding to your statement (AND I QUOTE!): "Federal employees earn about 25% less than private sector employees."

You used the word "earn," Mr. McDonald, which ipso facto implies salary, not benefits. And I've already made it clear that I, too, was referring to comparable jobs. I rest my case.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Professionals like lawyers, accountants, doctors...most definitely. Hourly workers like a letter carrier, not even. Then factor in the health and retirement benefits, which disappeared from most other jobs decades ago.
    of course, whatever ire people have towards government jobs having good benefits, shouldn't be directed at the government jobs, but the other industries that have been shitting on those things for decades.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You used the word "earn," Mr. McDonald, which ipso facto implies salary, not benefits. And I've already made it clear that I, too, was referring to comparable jobs. I rest my case.
    Without intending to arbitrate anything, I disagree with the assertion that benefits are not "earnings." Health insurance is worth money. Paid leave is worth money on a dollar-for-dollar basis. Life insurance is worth money. Disability insurance can save your life. Pension plans are worth money, as I know because it's why I'm living comfortably instead of hanging by a thread right now.

I've seen estimates that typical benefits with government jobs are worth 20-30% of the base salary.

Not sure if it's pandemic related but in the last few months some of my bills haven't been arriving on time. So, now I'm paying some of my utility bills electronically using an "app" which I prefer not using. I still write checks and use the postal service as much as possible. But I've thrown in the towel on the unreliable USPS. Otoh, the utilities are constantly hounding us about automatic pay/withdrawal to pay the bills. I resist autopay, I'll use the app when I'm ready to pay.