Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are the USPS and Canada Post getting worse?

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I sent a customer a parcel with about $300 worth of rare vinyl. Customer lives in Austin, TX. Parcel was delivered today...to someone in San Antonio.
    It must have been sent to THE OTHER Prog fan in Texas!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Just received the Dave Pegg Bio (hardback) in the mail today (10/26) Shipped from the UK 10/19.....It arrived in a Box! Amazed how a "magazine" from the UK in a plastic wrapper takes 4-5 Weeks!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I get a daily email with the images of the mail enclosed.
    Me too - that's how I knew there was mail. BUT, I have to vindicate him somewhat, turns out he did deliver it, but for some reason only half way up our steps, which you can't see from inside the house.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Be glad you didn't get a pipe bomb.
    Yeah!

There's no rhyme or reason to it lately. I ordered a cheap used CD from an Amazon marketplace seller in Germany, whose most recent ratings were good but the one complaint was that the packages took forever to get to Canada (one person quoted 40 days). Mine was here in seven days (five days shipping.) The new Ayreon Earbook that I pre-ordered the day it went on sale has still not shown up, despite friends of mine whose orders shipped the same day receiving theirs - in Canada. My recent Lasers Edge order's tracking # shows it hasn't even hit customs yet, last update was 3 days ago - the last several were here with lightning speed (for an international shipment, anyway) - this one? Who knows where it is.

Of course, Canada Post has been on 'rotating strike' basis all week (for those who may not know, there is nothing the CUPW likes to do more often than strike.) So that may be affecting things.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Me too - that's how I knew there was mail. BUT, I have to vindicate him somewhat, turns out he did deliver it, but for some reason only half way up our steps, which you can't see from inside the house.

h!
    So you were dissing your mailman because you were too lazy to open the door and look...

New Dead Can Dance release street date is November 2nd.
    The item shipped from the UK October 26th.
    Its been sitting at the USPS in San Francisco since October 27th........

Does the Post Office do "hold until X Date?"

Just wondering......the dang think flew strait from the UK to San Francisco in One day. Been sitting there since....

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Canada Post is on rotating strikes - Ottawa (home town) today. Legal cannabis shipments are going to be delayed!!!!

Here's another crazy one. A package was on its way from Hawaii (from an Amazon seller). It made it to Newark, NJ, then to White Plains, NY (like 30 minutes from us), then - for some reason - to Jacksonville, FL for a few days, then back to Newark, then back to White Plains, and to us.

Here's another crazy one. A package was on its way from Hawaii (from an Amazon seller). It made it to Newark, NJ, then to White Plains, NY (like 30 minutes from us), then - for some reason - to Jacksonville, FL for a few days, then back to Newark, then back to White Plains, and to us.
    Everybody needs a vacation sometime.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Pretty fascinating to follow a huge thread on another forum, between the Canadian Postal Workers' Union and the general public. The CUPW has been on rotating strikes for the last four weeks, shutting down the giant sorting plants in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver for a few days at a time, then shifting the strikes to other cities' mail depots. There are hundreds of trailers of unprocessed mail sitting in the parking lots of the sort facilities, and Canada Post now claims they are backed up by 30 days(!) and have asked for ALL international mail to stop being shipped, as there is no room to store it. All time guarantees with priority shipping have been scrapped until further notice. And all this with Black Friday/Cyber Monday and the Christmas season literally just around the corner. If the union does not accept Canada Post's latest offer by midnight tonight (Saturday), the federal government has said they will intervene (which I assume means legislate them back to work, as they had to do four years ago.)

The hatred and vitriol I've seen from people is worse than any other CP strike in history. The public thinks the union is far too entitled, and the union thinks the public are entitled. On one side, it's "You lazy, overpaid bums need to get back to work" and on the other it's "We are fighting for our rights, your being inconvenienced doesn't matter"...

It will be interesting to see what happens if they are forced back to work... I'm guessing they get a contract that's not as good as the one they should have taken, followed by 7 day-a-week parcel deliveries and mass overtime to help clear the backlog before things can have a semblance of normalcy again.

^ Interesting - let us know what happens or happened!

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for two packages from Amazon that are mysteriously delayed. One is actually going to my son upstate, but it's been sitting in Rochester since Saturday. Maybe weather related as they've had a lot of snow. The interesting thing is it's going via AMZL US, Amazon Logistics, which SOUNDS like it's a courier service Amazon has started on its own. Anyone know more about that? This was ordered Nov. 12 and was supposed to be two-day shipping.

The other is supposedly coming to me via USPS (as opposed to the UPS hand-off to USPS), and it seems to be just common USPS problems. It supposedly left Avenel, NJ yesterday morning, but left Avenel, NJ again this morning, after a mysterious "package delayed in transit" yesterday afternoon. The weather has been fine this week, so I don't know what this is about. Maybe a truck broke down and the packages were all sent back to where the truck left from. This one was Amazon Prime and is the first Kate Bush CD box, which was supposed to arrive on release day.

I'm entitled! Get on the stick, you lazy bums!

Wow, I can't even explain how much USPS screwed up today. They outright lied, and just mishandled the whole thing. I have to call them tomorrow and find out what the hell they're doing with my package. Must have something to do with temporary drivers or something.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-20-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Apparently USPS scanned my package “incorrectly,” so it wasn’t delivered yesterday. They claim it will be delivered today. The other package, Amazon has now admitted that the package being delivered by AMZL US has been lost. Nice work!

Now Amazon has admitted that the package being delivered by AMZL US has been lost. Nice work!
    Everything has a bar code on it now. How can anything be "lost?"
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

Everything has a bar code on it now. How can anything be "lost?"
    I’m sure it’s somewhere (apparently somewhere in Rochester), but they can’t find it.

I guess this article pretty much explains the reason a package can just become lost. The interesting part of this article is Amazon's other delivery method of Ubering-out deliveries, Flex. This lost package was going to a college campus, so it's kind of disturbing that Amazon could be sending a random, un-vetted person, not an employee, onto a college campus to deliver a package. Anyway, it's probably on the back seat of someone's car...

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/315920
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-21-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Apparently USPS scanned my package “incorrectly,” so it wasn’t delivered yesterday. They claim it will be delivered today. The other package, Amazon has now admitted that the package being delivered by AMZL US has been lost. Nice work!
    The USPS package finally made it to me today... (new Kate Bush box set)

Here's another one that's kind of fascinating. It COULD be my Clutching reissue from Fish (seems to be a Royal Mail tracking number):

- Started in Langley, UK on Nov 8th
    - Went through NY, NY
    - Got out of customs Nov 11th
    - Spent a day in Springfield, MA (???)
    - Spent three days in Maryland (???)
    - Back to NY, NY on the 17th where it looks like it sat for three days
    - Then to White Plains on the 20th (again, like 20 minute from me)
    - Then to Pearl River, NY (on the other side of the Hudson River) for some reason
    - Four days later, Nov 24th, arrived in Queens, NY
    - Right now as of yesterday it's "In Transit to Next Facility" Who knows where that will be?

Something's very wrong with the USPS. They seem to have no idea where this should go. Why isn't Mr. Zip helping them?

EDIT: It’s back at White Plains now.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-27-2018 at 05:18 AM.

So the Trudeau government has finally legislated the Canada Post union back to work, as of noon today (to howls of outrage.) They've got a hell of a lot of overtime hours coming their way to clear the mess that six weeks of rotating strikes at the busiest time of year caused.

In the meantime, I'm never using UPS as an international method again, after a package containing two CDs from the U.S. cost me a total of $27 (US) to ship, and was then slapped with a ridiculous $25 (Cdn) brokerage fee upon arrival in Canada. How insane is that? And it still took six days, so it's not like I was paying over $52 for speedy service. Wow, what an eye opener!

brokerage fee? Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    So the Trudeau government has finally legislated the Canada Post union back to work, as of noon today (to howls of outrage.) They've got a hell of a lot of overtime hours coming their way to clear the mess that six weeks of rotating strikes at the busiest time of year caused.

In the meantime, I'm never using UPS as an international method again, after a package containing two CDs from the U.S. cost me a total of $27 (US) to ship, and was then slapped with a ridiculous $25 (Cdn) brokerage fee upon arrival in Canada. How insane is that? And it still took six days, so it's not like I was paying over $52 for speedy service. Wow, what an eye opener!
    You might consider a US PO Box or if you have friends in Buf/Niagara area, would be a better deal.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    You might consider a US PO Box or if you have friends in Buf/Niagara area, would be a better deal.
    There are Canadian comics sellers on ebay who do that for shipping to US buyers. They generally ship once a week. It works well for both parties.

brokerage fee? Wtf?
    Yep. Customs charges that apply to items listed over a certain value - which are covered automatically when using Canada Post, which is a huge part of what makes them the cheapest option. I was hit with them when I ordered from an Italian prog vendor online as well. They had an amazing selection and the stuff arrived in like three days (by DHL, if I recall.) I was thrilled! ....and then, an 'amount owing' notice showed up in the mailbox. :/ In this recent case, I suspected there might be a small fee, but I kept my fingers crossed. Sadly, they feel justified in charging TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS for something with a value listed at $33. Just unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Definitely something I would consider. But now that CP is allegedly returning to normal service, I'll wait and see how things are. Come January, I doubt there will be many delays.

UPS Shipping to Canada | Brokerage Fees
    Value of Shipment UPS Standard (Ground) Entry Preparation Fees UPS Express and Expedited Entry Preparation Fees
    $20.01 - $40 $7.00 FREE
    $40.01 - 100 $19.45 FREE
    $100.01 - $200 $29.00 FREE
    $200.01 - $350 $42.95 FREE
    2 more rows
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    So the Trudeau government has finally legislated the Canada Post union back to work, as of noon today (to howls of outrage.)
    Finally my packages of raw fish will be delivered to the Canadian Senators!