Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: In 76-77 while punk was raging....

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    [QUOTE=PeterG;58075]Here's the opening post again, so please let's try to stick to the topic.

I don't know how long you've posted here but you can't control the direction of the thread, despite your constant pleas. You might have considered starting this thread in the main forum that is devoted exclusively to prog, this one is not. By raising the topic of punk, there are naturally going to be comments. You can delete the thread if it really bothers you.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    You might have considered starting this thread in the main forum that is devoted exclusively to prog, this one is not. By raising the topic of punk, there are naturally going to be comments. You can delete the thread if it really bothers you.
    True enough. No, I won't delete it. It doesn't bother me that it's been derailed, just a bit unfortunate I think.

You should have started a " Lame songs from the mid seventies" thread

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Thanks Peter, we must be kindred spirits! As to Renaissance, their music I think differs a lot from bands like Genesis and Camel, but the closest to that Genesis era might be 'Azure D'Or', which has keyboard layers and is also produced by David Henschel. 'Forever Changing' is a beautiful little track from that album, and there are a number of good ones on there. You may like the more 'epic' nature of 'Song For All Seasons' or 'Sheherazade & Other Stories' too.

This link takes you to an acoustic live in the studio version of 'Forever Changing'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMjMAQlilAE
    Yea, I've always thought of them more as a contemporary folk band than a prog band, I might be off there though as I've never heard a whole album just one or two tracks. Having a hit in 78 with Northern Lights though was just another indication of what an odd turnaround year 78 was in music. The old ROCK prog sound was gone, but then all of a sudden post-punk in 78, this more folky-prog-pop arose, or if already present, at least started to breakthrough and have hits: Kate Bush, Renaissance, Gerry Rafferty and similar.
    Last edited by PeterG; 02-26-2013 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yea, I've always thought of them more as a contemporary folk band than a prog band, .
    Hmmm... you could say that only for the 2/3rds of the "Ashes Are Burning" album. They had a pastoral/rural aura around them but I don't consider it as typically folkish.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by ProgGreaser View Post
    from my recollection, at least here in the US, it was more of a early 80s hardcore punk characteristic, which then gave way to the Skinhead look. So yeah, that is why I said late 70s/early 80s. Richard Hell and The Ramones etc weren't wearing Mohawks and you are right, the early punk look was more reminiscent of the 50s greasers and the 60s mods. But it certainly became a punk look characteristic by the early 80s( see ie Joe Strummer)

I agree with Ramones being indeed a forerunner of punk, but when I was speaking of the Mont De Marsan festival, it was a strictly UK-Fr thing we were talking about

The Ramones were always a bit different and appealed much outside the punk thing... The Ramones were the only band it was cool to like if you were a metalhead back then (maybe the long hairs did the trick)...

However the skinhead phenomenum I was talking about came out of ska, not punk... the first skinheads I remember seeing (in Toronto, mind you) were into ska, rerggae, but were also ultra-violent in between themselves...
    Nothing todo with the neo-nazi combat-boots dudes that listened to stuff like Celtic Frost that raged on from 84 onwards

Peter: i understand your plight about derailing , but this thread was posted in OT forum and had "punk" in its title...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Mohawks were around before punk/rock. There was an American football player named John Riggins who wore a mohawk in 1971 or something like that.

I can't find any pics of him from the early 70s with the mohawk though.
    Riggins-Shmiggins. Sonny Rollins. Williamsburg Bridge period. Best Mohowk ever. Who also played a wonderful sax solo during the late 70s on big Stones number called "Waiting on a Friend". So big, it could have even competed with *Baker Street* or Chuck Magiaone in terms of being embedded in the typical listener's consciousness during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Hmmm... you could say that only for the 2/3rds of the "Ashes Are Burning" album. They had a pastoral/rural aura around them but I don't consider it as typically folkish.
    Okay, good to know, thanks. I'm defo going to Spotify them later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Peter: i understand your plight about derailing , but this thread was posted in OT forum and had "punk" in its title...
    Mea culpa, Mea culpa, Mea maximo culpa!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Nothing todo with the neo-nazi combat-boots dudes that listened to stuff like Celtic Frost that raged on from 84 onwards
    Skinheads listening to Celtic Frost? Very strange place Canada...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Skinheads listening to Celtic Frost? Very strange place Canada...
    Those were later 70's Europeans skinheads >> not really punks anymore
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I was still listening to prog and hard rock in 1977, don't think I ever actually owned a "punk" record... but I did dig a few "new wave" artists that rode that wave - Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Rockpile, Joe Jackson.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...