Thread: Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff (Remaster). Indexing/gap error.

Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff (Remaster). Indexing/gap error.

Hello.

As some of You may know, nn the 2005 remaster of Godbluff there were small indexing error resulting in a tiny bit of silence between Undercover Man and Scorched Earth where it should not be. I know that this CD were re relased several times (according to: Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff There are 5 version all with different matrix codes) . Do You know if this error was corrected on any of the later represses? (the CD seems to be in print still today so i guess if it was ever corrected curently purchesed versions should also be correct?). Does any one have a copy free of this error?

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Anc View Post
    Hello.

As some of You may know, nn the 2005 remaster of Godbluff there were small indexing error resulting in a tiny bit of silence between Undercover Man and Scorched Earth where it should not be. I know that this CD were re relased several times (according to: Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff There are 5 version all with different matrix codes) . Do You know if this error was corrected on any of the later represses? (the CD seems to be in print still today so i guess if it was ever corrected curently purchesed versions should also be correct?). Does any one have a copy free of this error?

Best regards.
    I had the japanese mini lp and the standard edition and they both had it. My guess is it's on the master. Of course the non remastered CD doesn't have it but I understand you're specifically asking about the remaster. I'm not an audiophile but there seems to be a general agreement that one should go for the first CD over the remaster for a better sound anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I had the japanese mini lp and the standard edition and they both had it. My guess is it's on the master. Of course the non remastered CD doesn't have it but I understand you're specifically asking about the remaster. I'm not an audiophile but there seems to be a general agreement that one should go for the first CD over the remaster for a better sound anyway.
    I have most VDGG CDs both in Virgin early relases and emi remasters. Prefer the remasters so if later preses of Godbluff had this error fixed I would buy another copy. Just want to make sure that it was fixed to save myself from wasting money on exactly same thing I already have

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I had the japanese mini lp and the standard edition and they both had it.
    On my mini-LP copy I don't hear any silence, but there seems to be a slight glitch when the track changes, like a fraction of a second is skipped.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I have checked the copies I have. No error on the original CD, glitch on the remaster as the track timing changes and no glitch on the SACD. There has been plenty mentioned about the sound quality on the remaster versus the original over on a certain other forum, But its all personal taste. Until I compared the discs I never noticed the difference in sound. The original CD sounds very good, a nice flat response. The remaster is louder, hiss is more pronounced but does sound a tad more bassy in comparison. A more fuller sound. The SACD is more like the original CD, but a bit more detailed. It's all good!

Yeah, but SACD (and regular SHM CDs relased simultanesly) is another rematser done in Japan. I am trying to find out if there is any edition including Hammill's 2005 remaster that does not have this glitch. Bazcrim - what is Your matrix code on Your remastered CD? (I wonder if You have first press like me or some of the represses).

Yes, the SACD was a DSD flat transfer of the original tapes. I too obtained the remastered disc when it was released and has the code 00946 3 11393 2 1. I have also just checked the Japanese mini papersleeve edition, based on the PH remaster and that too has the glitch. I suspect it will appear on all pressings of the remaster and must be a characterisitc of the digital remastering done at the time. So apart from the SACD then, the only version not having the glitch is the original CD release.

That's a pity. In camera had simmilar glitch between gog and magog, but AFAIK, oposite from Godbluff, that one was fixed in simultanesly relased Japanese mini lp relase.

Does anyone know what was supposed to be wrong with the "...and as close to this" remaster?
    I have it and it sounds fine to me

I've never heard any other version, so it's the way it's always been!