Thread: One For The Retro-Heads: Ring Van Mobius

One For The Retro-Heads: Ring Van Mobius

Not sure if these guys were mentioned here already and I was too lazy to look... Cool retro prog from Norway. The video is a little goofy but the song is pretty good!

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Nobody eh?

It's retro prog...One of the better ones in the genre I've heard this year.

I just got my copy today from Chez Wayside Saw a few folks on FB who said it would probably end up in their top 10 of the year. So...maybe not quite "nobody"
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I got it last week.

Pretty good retro, VdGG-ish album.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like it.

They're fine, but better as a live spectacle with all conditions granted - IMO. On album, this kind of rather blunt "VdGG'ian" approach becomes a bit weary/semi-silly when knowing a thing or two about its historical background. Bands like Aréknames and Discipline already made this formula a personal one, rendering new standards.

Still I'll keep listening.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Bands like Aréknames and Discipline already made this formula a personal one, rendering new standards.
    And the mighty Gargamel.

Just listened to the video....nice stuff....maybe a bit derivative but I still like it......will have to order this.

Thx for sharing.
    G.A.S -aholic

I agree with all statements made above. Derivative, and maybe done better by others, but fun. I'm just a sucker for gobs of Hammond!

I have it on order after sampling a bit, I'm looking forward to hearing the whole album.

Bill

That sounded good to me.
    The Prog Corner

Good music, shtoopid video.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Good music, shtoopid video.
    Kinda what I said in my opening post. The video was just one long shot, possibly half choreographed and half improvised?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I agree with all statements made above. Derivative, and maybe done better by others, but fun. I'm just a sucker for gobs of Hammond!
    The Hammond is chunky, eh?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn't think the video was that bad, aside from that guy's little plastic sax, which was annoying. They have to fill the 22 minutes with something (assuming there was a real need for a video in the first place). Kind of weird that they were willing to put their keyboards through that, and also surprising the keyboard player's hair didn't ever burst into flames - that would have livened the video up some, I'll bet.

I think the fire on the organs was digitally added. Seemed kinda obvious. Really, the video is saying......we're serious progger, but we think we're funny.....ha ha.....lol.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I think the fire on the organs was digitally added. Seemed kinda obvious. Really, the video is saying......we're serious progger, but we think we're funny.....ha ha.....lol.
    Really? It looked pretty real to me.

So I'm on the 6th/7th spin of this album. This one is frustrating to me, because I hear hits of awesomeness, but the songs just don't ultimately deliver on the promise of the openings. They just seem to drift compositionally, and they never go for the jugular instrumentally, so it all just winds up being very, "meh." Nice sounds, cool "retro-ness" and all, and some cool intros hinting at greatness, but ultimately this one isn't delivering for me. May hit the boner pile, or I may put it away for a while and come back to it. Either way, won't likely be a favorite for me. Too bad.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    So I'm on the 6th/7th spin of this album. This one is frustrating to me, because I hear hits of awesomeness, but the songs just don't ultimately deliver on the promise of the openings. They just seem to drift compositionally, and they never go for the jugular instrumentally, so it all just winds up being very, "meh." Nice sounds, cool "retro-ness" and all, and some cool intros hinting at greatness, but ultimately this one isn't delivering for me. May hit the boner pile, or I may put it away for a while and come back to it. Either way, won't likely be a favorite for me. Too bad.

Bill
    I have to agree with your assessment. A lot more sizzle than steak.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just heard it on Gagliarchives, very VDGG, not bad.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

These guys have a very cool new album out, it's like ELP with Peter Hammill on vox.

https://ringvanmbius.bandcamp.com/album/the-3rd-majesty

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    These guys have a very cool new album out, it's like ELP with Peter Hammill on vox.

https://ringvanmbius.bandcamp.com/album/the-3rd-majesty
    I have it on order, should be here very soon. I just spun the debut last night. I think that one has grown on me a bit, it's better than I'd given it credit for being. But from the little I've heard, I think I'm going to love the new one.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I have it on order, should be here very soon. I just spun the debut last night. I think that one has grown on me a bit, it's better than I'd given it credit for being. But from the little I've heard, I think I'm going to love the new one.

Bill
    I was very sceptical when putting it on: what's this? A retro-prog band that starts its LP with a 23 minutes epic? But already on second listen I was completely won over.

Some very tasty bass lines too Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I was very sceptical when putting it on: what's this? A retro-prog band that starts its LP with a 23 minutes epic? But already on second listen I was completely won over.

Some very tasty bass lines too Bill.
    Yes, I noticed the bass as well... some good bass on the first album too! I think he actually plays a baritone guitar, with a focus on the lower strings. It's a good sound!

Bill