Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ears 2019

Well, the Crowne Plaza shall be it this year. The official hotel links offer only two hotels, neither very close to the action. Crowne Plaza is not on that list.
    The Hilton is 'not available', unless you want to pay 375+ a night ( plus taxes, etc ).
    A longer walk to Yassin's Falafel House. Sigh.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's nice and all but ...
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Well, the Crowne Plaza shall be it this year. The official hotel links offer only two hotels, neither very close to the action. Crowne Plaza is not on that list.
    The Hilton is 'not available', unless you want to pay 375+ a night ( plus taxes, etc ).
    A longer walk to Yassin's Falafel House. Sigh.
    Are you sure, Mark? I'm looking at the site and the Hilton is on there. There is another Hilton, over a mile away, that is not available.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Going through the Big Ears reservation link Hilton said there were no rooms for the dates I selected 20-26.
    When I went directly to the Hilton site and was willing to pay 100% more....Well, lets talk.
    Should have booked the room when I bought the ticket.
    And I should have bought the ticket earlier ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
    -- Aristotle

A little update on possibly additional ECM artist bookings. If anyone has more that can be shared, please poot forth. In conversation with a reliable source at last night's Soft Machine show in Milwaukee, Terje Rypdal's health mostly prevents him from distance traveling. No flights. So he is not likely to be there (huge disappointment for me). But there will be some other early period ECM artists added. We can all speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    A little update on possibly additional ECM artist bookings. If anyone has more that can be shared, please poot forth. In conversation with a reliable source at last night's Soft Machine show in Milwaukee, Terje Rypdal's health mostly prevents him from distance traveling. No flights. So he is not likely to be there (huge disappointment for me). But there will be some other early period ECM artists added. We can all speculate.
    Jan Garbarek, Art Lande, Steve Tibbitts ( sans nun ), Jon Hassell, L. Shankar, Marc Johnson
    -- Aristotle

Son-Of-A-Bitch!!!

I’m going.

Bought my ticket.

Now I need to not buy the farm before March 21!!!

It’s an incredible lineup and I am very very excited to attend.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Son-Of-A-Bitch!!!

I’m going.

Bought my ticket.

You do realize I was speculating. In any case Welcome to the collective hallucination that is the Big Ears Festival.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    You do realize I was speculating. In any case Welcome to the collective hallucination that is the Big Ears Festival.
    1. I was not swayed by your post. It’s already a fine line up, even without any ECM wannabes.
    2. You misspelled Tibbetts.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

1. I was not swayed by your post. It’s already a fine line up, even without any ECM wannabes.
    2. You misspelled Tibbetts.
    Different guy, plays left handed. Somehow I always misspell his name.
    -- Aristotle

Son-Of-A-Bitch!!!

I’m going.

Bought my ticket.

HIGH FIVES all around
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Wow...just when you think it's safe to just chill and be excited about everything already announced, an email like this arrives:

"FULL 2019 LINEUP COMING NEXT TUESDAY NOVEMBER 13TH AT 10 AM ET"

So, I guess a few more surprises waiting for us in another week! Can't imagine any more big names are still to come, but there might be some cool smaller artists added.

Sprinkles on the icing on the already awesome cake

I received that same e-blast. I am already not going to be able to squeeze in everything I want to see into the small time-frame based on what I already know.

Lord help me if they add more things I'm really jonesing for....

I look forward to mucho scrutinizing and seeing how much I can stuff in at this 'all you can consume' musical buffet.... (urp)!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

In truth, despite near-literal tsunami of artists and performances that come through Knoxville each year...thus far there have only been a few times I actually had to skip something I really wanted to see. Somehow, it mostly all works out, and there's still time to go grab food, sleep, and other necessities

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah, we've been lucky so far, haven't missed many things.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

https://bigearsfestival.org/intervie...86699-11291977

Big Ears interviews Richard Thompson. I remember back in '87 when Ashley Capps was first getting into promoting he brought him to the Lord Lindsey which he had rented for the occasion. It was RT's first visit to Knoxiousville on his Daring Adventures tour. Richard blew everyone away. During intermission I was at the urinal next to Ashley's having one of those conversations about how fantastic he was. AC opened his own club, Ella Guru's, in the Old City soon there after. Saw Richard there at least 3 other times, a couple of those times with Clive and Christine. Other folks as well, Adrian Belew, Leslie West (who was pissed off that night and rightly so as the mic kept shocking him until they got it fixed), Willis Alan Ramsey, John Hartford, Sam Bush, Leo Kottke, and Doc Watson to name a few.

Here's Garth Brooks talking about playing one of his very first gigs at Ella's.

https://vimeo.com/190928300

Big Ears 2019

Oh holy cow!

The Comet Is Coming?
    Wadada Leo Smith?
    Carla Bley?
    Vijay Iyer?
    Nik Bartsch’s Ronin?!

This sounds like one not to be missed. And I don’t live that far from Knoxville. I’m seriously thinking I should try to get tickets to this. I’ve never been to any of the Big Ears festivals, and it would be great to meet some of you folks in person.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

This will be my, I think 5th year going to Knoxville for Big Ears?

It is an easy highlight of my year. There have been so many "for the ages" performances I've caught @ Big Ears: Deathprod, Supersilent, Julia Holter, Ben Frost, Kid Koala, Hans-Joachim Roedelius, Outside the Dream Syndicate, Susanna, Laraaji, Rival Consoles, Sunn O))), Dawn of MIDI, Steve Reich, Jonny Greenwood, Oneohtrix Point Never, Earth, Horse Lords, Big | Brave, Terry Riley, GAS, Ikue Mori...and honestly that's just off the top of my head.

Holy fuck.... lineup additions are fantastic.

Fire!
    This Is Not This Heat

Never thought I'd get to see Fire! without traveling overseas. So excited.

KTL!!!

Starting to hyperventilate all over again, and still not done looking at all the new additions...

It's a bunch of pretty great additions. Honestly, if the festival was only comprised of these additions, it'd still be a good festival.

there's too much muchness, but I'm gonna see what I can!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Can't imagine any more big names are still to come, but there might be some cool smaller artists added.
    You, sir, were NOT correct with this prediction!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Hmmmm. More IS better.
    Added more to the schedule.
    Collisions are imminent.
    So many choices to see so many artists.
    5 months of fretting and re-calculating.
    I am hoping for a genre hopping good time.
    -- Aristotle

Just have to say the email is super annoying how it keeps automatically flipping through the list of artists. Just give a full list of the additions...