Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KING CRIMSON The ContruKction of Light DELUXE BOX

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I can't recall...do you have a blu day player attached to your computer? If so, I can tell you how to easily rip audio from blu rays. It's easy

It's the first thing I do when i get blu day audio, like with the 23 live shows in the last crimson box. I rip 'em so I can put them on my DAP, which means I can listen in bed or when out of the house
    Yes, that's why BR-only material is next to useless around my house. I'll watch a video now and then, but listening is for the car/bus/train, walking, working, puttering around the house etc etc. I do the same thing with audio from DVDs often enough. I'm guessing the software for BR wouldn't be all that different, but my PC doesn't have a drive that can read them. It may or may not be something worth investing in in the future... or considering how much of the live ProjeKct material I've got, it may just be simpler to grab the remaining downloads when/if I do the 1000 Club thing.

Still, thanks all the same. I'll be sure to ask if I get to that point and could use a hand.
    Last edited by Spiral; 06-17-2018 at 12:44 PM.

word!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    "ContruKction of Light DELUXE BOX" - no wonder I had such a hard time finding this thread.

Anyway, I got an e-mail from Burning Shed that the release date was bumped out to June 7th.

I've gone back and forth about getting this. The only thing that really interests me is the re-imagined/remixed album. I'm actually a big fan of the original album, electronic drums and all. But I am curious to hear what they've done with it here. Does anyone who has this have any opinions on the CD with the new version of the album? I'd welcome feedback, thanks.

Bill

Don't have it but here's the title track re-worked. Sounds good to me.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I prefer it to the original.

Live versions of all of the songs are still superior.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I've gone back and forth about getting this. The only thing that really interests me is the re-imagined/remixed album. I'm actually a big fan of the original album, electronic drums and all. But I am curious to hear what they've done with it here. Does anyone who has this have any opinions on the CD with the new version of the album? I'd welcome feedback, thanks.

Bill
    You can read an in-depth look at the remix (including a lot of input from Mastelotto) in my review of the Heaven & Earth box set, published back when it was released in June. After the “In a Nutshell” chapter on page 1m if you want to focus on TCOL, you can scroll down to the chapter titled “ The Double Duo Is Born: The ConstruKction Of Light” and go on from there (and as far as you want to go, since the article continues well past that album).

Hopefully that’ll tell you all you want to know (and more!).
    Cheers!
    John
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    You can read an in-depth look at the remix (including a lot of input from Mastelotto) in my review of the Heaven & Earth box set, published back when it was released in June. After the “In a Nutshell” chapter on page 1m if you want to focus on TCOL, you can scroll down to the chapter titled “ The Double Duo Is Born: The ConstruKction Of Light” and go on from there (and as far as you want to go, since the article continues well past that album).

Hopefully that’ll tell you all you want to know (and more!).
    Cheers!
    John
    Thanks guys, checking these out now!

Bill

Hi John,

Just seen this thread. I am somewhat late to the party here; I have had some of the KC box sets for a while but have only recently bought a Blu-ray drive for my PC. I would be very grateful for some advice on what is good software for extracting the audio files, presumably as FLAC files, for playing on my home network audio system and portable digital audio player. My PC is Windows 10.
    Many thanks.
    Cheers
    David

MakeMKV, DVD-Audio Extractor… Check the quadraphonicquad.com forums! There’s some good tutorials in there.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Wow, I'm not a fan of remixes as a rule, but this sounds really good to me as well. I think I'll plump for the stand-alone rather than the box, though.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
    Hi John,

Just seen this thread. I am somewhat late to the party here; I have had some of the KC box sets for a while but have only recently bought a Blu-ray drive for my PC. I would be very grateful for some advice on what is good software for extracting the audio files, presumably as FLAC files, for playing on my home network audio system and portable digital audio player. My PC is Windows 10.
    Interested. For my own mp3 portable and auto use, I actually recorded the audio of a bunch of the BluRay off my soundcard in real time while listening, and being careful not to do anything too resource-intensive on my laptop in fear of causing glitches in the music. It was a little tedious compared to ripping a CD, but pretty much the same experience of recording to cassette in the olden days.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Bill
    I prefer the original, just because the cold electronic drums fits with the 'discordant cyborg metal' that they do on TCOL. I also prefer some of the drumming choices as well on the older version. But the new version is fine, it's still KC afterall. I just wish both were available in the box.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
    Hi John,

Many thanks.
    Cheers
    David
    I will also need something for this.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I prefer the original, just because the cold electronic drums fits with the 'discordant cyborg metal' that they do on TCOL. I also prefer some of the drumming choices as well on the older version. But the new version is fine, it's still KC afterall. I just wish both were available in the box.
    Isn't that what's available on DVD 19, tracks 13-24?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I have to say, I listened to the sample above, and I agree with you, I like the original better. The new one isn't bad, but it's not as "crisp" as the original. Lot's of reverb and a sort of muddy sound on the vocals. Also, I hear some weird artifacts in the cymbals early in the track that really threw me off. I think for my money, I'm as well or better served with the original version of this album, which I acknowledge has its sonic flaws, but despite that has become one of my favorite KC albums.

Bill

Thanks, will give it a go tomorrow.
    Cheers.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Interested. For my own mp3 portable and auto use, I actually recorded the audio of a bunch of the BluRay off my soundcard in real time while listening, and being careful not to do anything too resource-intensive on my laptop in fear of causing glitches in the music. It was a little tedious compared to ripping a CD, but pretty much the same experience of recording to cassette in the olden days.
    That’s a long and possibly uncertain approach, Dave, with all due respect.

MakeMV to rip Blu Rays (and get past copy protection), and then DVD Audio Extractor to actually rip the audio, either directly from a DVD Or from the files created by MakeMV is a better (and not expensive...max $50 for the two) way to go. And I believe they have them on both OSX and Windows platforms.

DVDAE takes a little getting used to (MakeMV is simple), but once you get the hang of it, it’s good and fast.

One added thought:after buying Blu ray writers for around $100 (CAD) to hang off my Mac, only to have them die quickly and become less than reliable before they do, I decided to spend a little extra (well, double, at $200) and buy a better one...more like an internal Blu Ray drive inserted into an external casing so it can be an external drive (and it’s an LG drive, so pretty respectable). Aside from reading and writing way faster, it’s been far more reliable. The tray isn’t flimsy...it’s as solid as my OPPO (or close to), and that is, I hear, a good thing too.

They say you get what you pay for, and I finally cottoned onto that when it comes to external blu ray rippers/writers. I’m really happy now, as I rip a LOT of music from BR and DVD discs, as you can imagine, when I want to review material....I don’t want to be tied to my Blu ray player and this allows me to listen to the music anywhere in the house because where I don’t have a stereo, I can play it on my DAP with IEMs (so as not to bug my wife), or stream it from my iTunes library (ALAC, in the same resolution as on the hard media).

So ripping from DVD and BR has become pretty much second nature to me now...and a lot more pleasurable as I don’t have to find out that a track glitched some time after the fact.
    John Kelman

That’s a long and possibly uncertain approach, Dave, with all due respect.
    I'll manage.

I'll manage.

The only other comment I’d say is that I don’t believe the audio rip as you do it remains in high res....or does it? Just curious as, for me, that’s essential (but may or may not be for you).
    John Kelman

It's whatever comes off my soundcard, saved as .wav files and converted to .flac to save space.

It's whatever comes off my soundcard, saved as .wav files and converted to .flac to save space.
    If you don’t mind doing me a favour, right click on one of the WAV files, as it should tell you the resolution. I’m just curious about recording through a sound card, as there are times where it’s my only option (like right now, with the Pink Floyd Later Years - they sent advance CDs, but all the video content is on a private channel on Vimeo, so I can watch it...but I’d like to get the music ripped so I can listen anyway I want to).

Anyway, if you get a moment and can let me know, I’d appreciate it, thanks!
    John Kelman

(like right now, with the Pink Floyd Later Years - they sent advance CDs, but all the video content is on a private channel on Vimeo, so I can watch it...but I’d like to get the music ripped so I can listen anyway I want to).
    Use vimeo-downloader !

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberian Cat View Post
    I don’t believe the private channel allows for downloading ....but I’ll check, thanks.
    John Kelman

1411kbps